Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has just started in Archery (JOAD), she is twelve. I would like to get her a practice taget, but am unsure which is bet type and what target faces I should get for her.

·
USAA Regional-L4 Coach
4,316 Posts
A lot depends on how she is doing, how serious she is going to be and how much money you want to spend.

Butt's and target stops:

If she is not pounding the center of the bale and shooting light weights, the wound bales (like whitetail) or layered (also white tailand several others) do well and are fairly light weight. They are not too expensive.

If she is shooting real tight groups already, then it's time to up the ante. Something you can do is move the target center around so it's not always in the center. This will increase the life of the bale.

Faces:

If she is still really working on form and doesn't need to know how she is scoring, paper plates are great to give you something to aim at.

Replacement centers for targets also are a cheap way to have a regulation color target to shoot at.

If your JOAD program doesn't shoot their targets out completely before discarding, offer to buy them from them before they are totally shot up.

I found that the vinyl maple leaf or "water proof" targets hold up the best after a huge amount of abuse. We buy them in bulk for our JOAD program and for the kids that have their own gear, we often let them take them before they are totally shot out.

If you have to purchase them, I still find the water proof targets to be the best value, even though they are probably the most expensive.

If you get the paper targets or paper with the threads running through them, you will get a huge increase in use out of them by buying a can of spray adhesive and gluing them to a piece of heavy cardboard. Especially if your butts or bales are uneven. The movement that happens after the arrow hits the target tends to tear plain paper up pretty bad.

DC

·
Registered
70 Posts
It depends what kind of practice she is doing. For form a blank boss is ok but its always good to have something to aim at a piece of paper or a white target pin if shes getting good, but there are other things that can be done like pinning a blank sheet of paper to the target and drawing a straight line throught the middle top to bottom and another line side to side again through the middle and ask her to shoot the vertical line first and then after that the horizontal line.
trying to get as close to the line as possible if she can get within a few mm of the line at 30 meters she will be doing great but start her at shorter distances first. its a good one for bow control and aiming off.

Also smaller faces are good for practice on because if she can hit red gold on a 60cm face at 70meters when she gets on a full size face she will be very happy. If she is shooting indoors small FITA 40cm 3 spot faces are good to.

A selection of targets to practice on is good to break up the training routine.

·
Registered
882 Posts
i know for target faces, i havnt found anything that holds up quite like a soma target. i have tried the plastic ones as mentioned, but they fell apart in about 2 weeks. the soma targets while being alittle more expensive hold up to almost 2 months at 2-300 arrows a day.
chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts