Archery Talk Forum banner

practicing from a stand?

380 6
I've been shooting good groups out to 30yrds when shooting on level ground. Then I started practicing from my deck(13ft off the ground) at 15-25 yrds and getting good groups. Then tonight I imagined a deer coming in on my right at about nearly a 45degree angle and not aligning my feet to the target. I really struggled with this shot. Is this something you don't do with a longbow? My shots tend to be to the left, i guess it's just hard to hold the torqe you putting on your core as you twist to your right. I'm sure if you practice it enough you can get it down. I've got 3 more weeks to get it right. I guess I'm just thinking about what would happen if you did'nt want to move you feet in your stand because it would be to much movement. Once again is this just not a shot to take? thanks
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7,049 Posts
It's a tough shot but if you practice for those odd angle shots you'll get the hang of it.. You shot left because your whole body torqued to the left at release. It's a good idea to try and be ready for anything you'll put tags on more animals that way.. Randy

· Registered
527 Posts
My buddies and I play "H-O-R-S-E" when we shoot. We take turns picking odd angle shots and if the originator hits his mark then the other shooters have to do it as well, and if you don't you get a letter, the first one to spell horse is out. At first I thought this was weird but fun and now I think it has helped me in those "odd" sitiations but I guess the real test will come next week in the deer woods!

· Registered
22,129 Posts
sd -

The reason you're having trouble with the shot is because you haven't learned how to maintain shoulder geometry while working the angles. Any up/down or left/right variation happens at the waist (or legs), and not the arms or shoulders. Regardless of the position you have to get into the shoulder alignment remains the same, if it can't, then it's not a good shot.

We could go into all the details, but the best thing to do is practice the shots you think you might encounter.

edit - Oh, and you have to remember that the distance to the target is measured along the ground, not via line of sight. Again, we could go through the calculations, but nothing beats practice.

Viper1 out.

· Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks viper

I figured I had to keep the same geometry with my shoulders. It seems that part of the difficulty is it requires a degree of flexibility. l appreciate your input and anything else you can add. I think I'll start out with shots not so far to my right and start off on level ground and work my way up. Shooting from a elevated position and a 45degree angle to my right was too much to fast. I'm just realizing how important it is to be prepared for any shots that you want to take from a deer stand. I hunt off a lone wolf hang on and you don't have alot of room to position your feet so it does come down to maintaining shooting form with you mid section.

· Registered
7,049 Posts
You can learn to shoot, short draw, bow horizontal, anchor nowhere near your face ETC ETC it just takes lots of practice and it will become instinctive. But you have to have established your form before messing around with stuff like this.

When practicing for shots to your extreme right set up two targets one way right and one in front. Shoot an arrow at the right one then the one in front. This way you can quickly compare How you shot at both of them and it helps keep you from changing to many things in the mechanics of how you shoot.

One thing that helps is to get a bow you like and an arrow setup that goes with it and stick to it. This way after time and many many shots you will not have to think when shooting to the right or anywhere else. You'll know that your arrow will make it through that gap at 20 yards and drop into the kill zone on that deer at 30 yards . When you take a shot and realize that your were thinking about something entirely different when you did it you're there.. Randy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.