Archery Talk Forum banner

Practicing with BH's

1253 Views 28 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  sawtoothscream
Do you guys use the same broadheads you hunt with on the practice range? I'm worried about dulling the blades. On the other hand, I want to be sure each of my hunting arrows flies true and that I don't have flyers. I'm using G5 Strikers. I know I can change the blades but that doesn't solve my potential "flyer" problem.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
6,795 Posts
No. I make sure all of my arrows fly properly with broadheads, but other than that, I practice with field points. However, I also shoot some groups with broadheads at longer ranges to see how I shoot with them on (I use fixed blades) just to make sure I know my limitations.

· Registered
10,204 Posts
I practice with bhs. I just change the blades out before hunting. I have certain dull blades I practice with, and very sharp blades to take to the woods.

· Registered
36,987 Posts
I use all my dull / used blades to practice with ...

· Registered
3,979 Posts
I make sure I shoot every one of my broadheads at least once and honestly I'd say most are shot 2-3 times. they get numbered and that's it, they're a matched set.

It's the only way to know if you have a flier and a broadhead who's shaft/broadhead alignment is slightly off.

Also, I usually have 12 broadhead/arrow combos. I might keep out 4-5 for practicing and keep the best flying 7-8 arrows for hunting.

· Corripe Cervisiam
27,913 Posts
I practice with BH[ Snuffer ss and Stinger 4 bl] prior to the hunt, then just touch them up.

The Snuffers touch up nice on a long fine diamond stone and the Stingers get popping sharp on Spyderco Sharpsmaker [or crock sticks]

I would rather not ASSUME they will fly perfect. It is a big confidence builder when I know they will fly perfect.

· Banned
18,714 Posts
I always have BH's just for practice then replace them with the ones I will hunt with...I'll do spin checks and with them and match them and align them on all shafts before hunting with them. Never had a problem doing it like that for the last 20 years or so.......:darkbeer:

· Registered
36,987 Posts

· Get out and shoot!
3,807 Posts
Do you guys use the same broadheads you hunt with on the practice range? I'm worried about dulling the blades. On the other hand, I want to be sure each of my hunting arrows flies true and that I don't have flyers. I'm using G5 Strikers. I know I can change the blades but that doesn't solve my potential "flyer" problem.
Just put new blades in them Strikers and hunt. They'll fly the same unless your practice ones were bent.

· Registered
375 Posts
I use Montecs and bought 3 packs when I first started using them...3 for practice and the other 6 for the quiver...

I want them sharp and shooting into foam will dull them quickly.

d

· Registered
1,882 Posts
I have a couple dull BH's to practice/tune with, then shoot the real ones once or twice just to be sure & touch them up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.