Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
last year I had a horrible time bowhunting adapting from my backyard shooting at targets to shooting from a 16' high treestand at animals. I don't want to admit how many arrows I stuck in the ground!

I think I figured the old bow I was shooting was LOUD and I had some real form problems. I got a new bow and installed an Anchor Sight which confirms proper anchor alignment even when shooting straight down or hanging off the edge of a treestand around that twig down and slightly leaning to the right....etc.

BUT....I just went and put up a 15' ladder stand on the light pole out back and stopped shooting from the ground for practice AT ALL. I tell you, when you are up in a stand on a 14" X 18" platform with a "tree" behind you trying to smoothly draw at a target on the ground....it is WAY DIFFERENT than drawing when standing on the ground at a level-away target.

First thing I did was put on the safety harness....I could just imagine what would happen if the D loop broke or I accidently hit the trigger on the draw and lost my balance on the stand... Actually wearing the harness in practice duplicates what I'll be doing in the deer woods. I bought a vest-type harness...never can figure out how to get in those dang things that come free with stands today!!

SECOND thing I noticed is that I definitely had to turn the bow down a few pounds to be able to smoothly draw it in those confined spaces.

THIRD thing I noticed is that after getting the above two things worked out, that my shooting is fine and my confidence has just gone WAY up!

can't wait until the first cool morning out there!!!

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
You made it much harder then it need be!

Draw and anchor...then bend at the waist keeping the "t" form. Backstraps for dinner!

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Funny; two years ago I set up a scaffold and shot both up and down. At 20' up and 25 yards out, my point of impact was 2" high on every shot ... always. After three months I took it down because the results were so consistant that it was a waste of time climbing up & down pulling arrows.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
maybe but my hang on stands aren't much bigger than the ladder stand I was practicing in. don't get me wrong, that stand is probably going in the woods, not staying in the backyard for practice.

All I was saying is that a couple "real-world" practice sessions helped ME out a lot, so I think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts