Archery Talk Forum banner

Preaty dissapointing ELK season.. I NEED A NEW WESTERN WASH. ELK SPOT!!!!

1370 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  5MilesBack
Well i still have one more day of elk hunting tomarrow, but it has been a preaty dissapointing season thus far. i had three spots lined up for hunting, been scouting them all year, and boom come opening day they started loggin two of the areas( wich are about 15 miles from each other) i was able to get on the elk the first morning, almost sealed the deal on a 5x5, but he never turned broadside. Also the temp was in the 80's. Some of the deer spots behind my house people have been riding quads, and i acually had someone shooting a SKS and a couple bullets hit about 20 yards from me. I need to find a different area to hunt. i am done with hunting on timber company property's.
If there is anyone out there with some good state land in Western Washington, were they wont logg and quads are running through them all day long. i am going to look at the Gifford Pitchote area up toward Ashford but dont know anything about the area.

Sorry for how long this was, and i know i am still very happy to be in the woods. it just seem like everything was against me this year and it hard to keep a positive out look on things some time.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,616 Posts
Things are tough all over, I am headed out in the morning too. Had one good encounter and the light went away before I could close the deal. No late season in the GMU where I hunt and have done all of my scouting, so if I don't connect tomorrow it will probabaly be tag soup again this year.

· Registered
4 Posts
I hear ya

Lost my shot, Thanks to quad riders also-
Opening morning, located a few animals across the valley
was able to get within 70-75 yrds to the nearest cow, yet 100+ to a 4x4..
Then all of a suddden a small army of quads topped the hill..Yep the Elk were GONE, just like that.. Have yet to find the Elk or the idiots on quads..
Dissapointing:sad:

· Premium Member
10,362 Posts
Well i still have one more day of elk hunting tomarrow, but it has been a preaty dissapointing season thus far. i had three spots lined up for hunting, been scouting them all year, and boom come opening day they started loggin two of the areas( wich are about 15 miles from each other) i was able to get on the elk the first morning, almost sealed the deal on a 5x5, but he never turned broadside. Also the temp was in the 80's. Some of the deer spots behind my house people have been riding quads, and i acually had someone shooting a SKS and a couple bullets hit about 20 yards from me. I need to find a different area to hunt. i am done with hunting on timber company property's.
If there is anyone out there with some good state land in Western Washington, were they wont logg and quads are running through them all day long. i am going to look at the Gifford Pitchote area up toward Ashford but dont know anything about the area.

Sorry for how long this was, and i know i am still very happy to be in the woods. it just seem like everything was against me this year and it hard to keep a positive out look on things some time.
Pm sent :)

· Registered
7,119 Posts
I live in Colorado and I have seen less this year, but I have a few more days. Maybe things will look up soon. How is everyone else season shaping up in Colorado. I thinking it maybe the weather and the full moon, but that is just a guess.

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
How is everyone else season shaping up in Colorado. I thinking it maybe the weather and the full moon, but that is just a guess.
Actually it was looking really good the weekend of the 6th. I saw more elk in three days than I have seen in the last 5 years put together. The elk started bugling on the night of the 7th and morning and evening of the 8th, and then those yahoos moved in with their generator and stereo........and that was all she wrote. I was hunting NW Colorado.

Then just the last two days they were bugling like crazy down low in Southern Colorado, but still weren't in full rut mode yet. These 80 degree days aren't helping I'm sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.