Archery Talk Forum banner

Predator Ambush vs Sitka Fanatic

1395 16
Looking for someone who has used them both, obviously some older threads and possible quality issued with the ambush, wanting to see more recent reviews. I have the stratus line, but its not warm enough late season even with layering.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
235 Posts
Following . I was considering getting the predator insulated ambush and hoping for a good black Friday deal. I'm also looking at ASAT because they have a 40% off deal going thru the 28th

· Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep them coming

· Registered
6,112 Posts
I don’t have the ambush stuff but have the predator stealth micro fleece jacket and pants. Also have the stratus set and fanatic set.

The stealth micro fleece is warm, but bulky and has no leg zips for venting or layering in the woods. It’s warmer than the stratus, not quite as warm as the Fanatic and the wind block layer is not 100%. I could feel a cold 10-15 mph wind through the micro fleece in the mid 20 degree range. With the Fanatic set, only wind I would have felt was on exposed skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
624 Posts
I have the stealth micro fleece and just ordered a First Lite Solitude set. The stealth fleece is ok, but bulky and didn’t find it very warm for the bulk. The insulation on the inside gets flattened pretty quick. I can’t speak on any Sitka stuff

· Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any more ?

· Bettering the last.....
6,160 Posts
Use the search bar. (Not to be rude)

Predator- great pattern chit sizing and construction.

Sitka- decent gear with some good patterns.

· Registered
895 Posts
Use the search bar. (Not to be rude)

Predator- great pattern chit sizing and construction.

Sitka- decent gear with some good patterns.

If Sitka is just decent, what do you consider good?

Love my fanatic set, just got back from hunting temps in low 20s-mid teens with winds from 10-20+. Couple base layers and I was very comfy. . Also have a predator g2 and fleece set. Don’t have the cold weather predator to compare to the fanatic though. A big part of warmth is the wind barrier, and Sitka works excellent for that.

· Bettering the last.....
6,160 Posts
If Sitka is just decent, what do you consider good?

Love my fanatic set, just got back from hunting temps in low 20s-mid teens with winds from 10-20+. Couple base layers and I was very comfy. . Also have a predator g2 and fleece set. Don’t have the cold weather predator to compare to the fanatic though. A big part of warmth is the wind barrier, and Sitka works excellent for that.

I loved my fanatic other than the blues in the camo color, it was pure hell with seeds and burrs and it would feel like waterboarding in snowy or heavy precip.

Gray wolf woolens wolfskin in predator was my go to. Their cuts are not athletic/tapered enough with regard to bow sleeves and sliding into your boots. So I moved on. I sold off most of my Russel stuff from back in the day but that was the best company/series I’ve owned from the mass producers.

I think all of the major brands are bs with charging such premium prices for foreign made lousy sizing.

Predator had the worst qc of any company though- sizing, stitching, cuts. Their cs is awful too. They know it and don’t fix it.

I have FL- get it through a deal. Like some of it better than Sitka and others and feel some of it is lackluster junk. I have. $200 set of brush pants that fit like chit from them in example.

I have everything from good mountaineering gear and flannel shirts to the best of this years series. Hand a bunch off to my kids and friends or sell things that don’t fit. Point in being- find what fits you, know it’s limitation and piece an ensemble together. We get in our own heads on matching and deer gear… we just need good gear for deer hunting and to not look like a human in a tree.

Reactions: Got Em

· Registered
895 Posts
I loved my fanatic other than the blues in the camo color, it was pure hell with seeds and burrs and it would feel like waterboarding in snowy or heavy precip.

Gray wolf woolens wolfskin in predator was my go to. Their cuts are not athletic/tapered enough with regard to bow sleeves and sliding into your boots. So I moved on. I sold off most of my Russel stuff from back in the day but that was the best company/series I’ve owned from the mass producers.

I think all of the major brands are bs with charging such premium prices for foreign made lousy sizing.

Predator had the worst qc of any company though- sizing, stitching, cuts. Their cs is awful too. They know it and don’t fix it.

I have FL- get it through a deal. Like some of it better than Sitka and others and feel some of it is lackluster junk. I have. $200 set of brush pants that fit like chit from them in example.

I have everything from good mountaineering gear and flannel shirts to the best of this years series. Hand a bunch off to my kids and friends or sell things that don’t fit. Point in being- find what fits you, know it’s limitation and piece an ensemble together. We get in our own heads on matching and deer gear… we just need good gear for deer hunting and to not look like a human in a tree.
Agree with the burrs, hitchhikers, whatever!

I had some GWW that I sold. It was slightly big, heavy, and not insulated, but wind proofing was great. Aside from the tapering (lack of) I think their stuff was nice. But that was OG wild skin, not sure about current materials from them. But it was tough, def liked that part.

I had the wooltimate set, just not warm enough, had to bulk up heavy on layers. Anyways, I’m not a Sitka super fan boy, but I’ve tried a few other things and for keeping warm and the wind off of you, the fanatic is hard to beat. Still hanging with the predator G2 and micro fleece though. Thought of selling and getting the stratus set, but haven’t decided to pull that trigger yet. I do love the predator patterns!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts