Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on updating my hunting clothes this year and I’m thinking about going with Predator camo. I bow hunt from tree stands in Central Illinois mostly mid to late season. I am thinking of using the Fall Gray, or Brown Deception which is the better choice for the hardwoods and the creek bottoms of Central Illinois? I have an average tolerance to the cold. Is their fleece with wind stop warm, and is it very noisy? How in the world do you get the Cockleburs off of the fleece? Or do I just go to their Parka and Bibs?
Is Predator camo a quality line of hunting gear? Is it strong, zippers, seams, ect, and can it hold up to long hard hunts?
Any insight you may have into this line of hunting clothes is of great value to me, thanks.

·
Catty Shack
12,345 Posts
I always wanted a set of Fall Gray and bought an outfit last summer but the weather was odd and I went from lightweight 3D Seclusion straight to my Gore Tex. I think as a pattern up in the tree against the skyline, it is as good as it gets. It seemed everything ran a bit small (or else I'm in between sizes), the clothing seems very durable. Don't get the ball cap - that dang thing looks like a bucket.

·
In Urban We Trust
2,438 Posts
I use the fall gray in mid November here in Ohio and use the brown deception early season. I bought a fleece outfit late last year but have yet to use it. I believe it is going to be very warm and quiet when I do use it. The fleece is a bit bulky but I can still shoot my bow without any issues. Looking forward to cold weather. I went with the fall gray mainly for late season and with snow on the ground because the FG has a lot of white in the pattern. With predator camo the deer literally look right through you.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Very warm. Very quiet and very well made.

Go for it.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
yes please

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Although most love the fall gray, myself included, I am really partial to the brown deception.....mainly because most every tree I hunt out of still has some dead leaves holding on well into the second week of November...so the added brown spots blend a little better in my opinion.

Fleece is very warm and not noisy at all, also yes it is fleece so it will pick up stickers...but its not that bulky fuzzy stuff so unless your laying in it the thisles and burdocks shouldnt be to horendous to get off. Also the quality on this stuff is awesome....great seams, zippers, and fabric!

·
Registered
888 Posts
I got a set of fall gray and took pictures of it as well as others in the tree and I thought it look like one of the best ( haven't tryed it hunting yet) sizes to me run small, wish I'd got a size larger.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
I like the Brown Deception Fleece. I have stayed pretty warm in it from October (no layers), to November (some layers), to late season (0-20 degree, lots of layers). It can get heavy, but once in the stand it is fine. You do loose some range of motion once you get a couple layers on under it. Also, the stuff from Predator (I own it), seems a little cheap. The buttons and fit could be improved on the jackets and pants. In all honesty, I don't think the pattern really matters. It is just a matter or what you like. You could wear blaze orange up there with some break up black lines on it and the deer won't bust you.

I have been looking for new camo as of late, looking for something with a better fit as well as something that is waterproof. I will wear this again this year though (3rd season). I had this deer below look right at me at about 12 yards. Froze, continued walking to a quartering away shot at about 20 yards. This was one of those really cold November days. I think it was 12 degrees when I got in the stand. You can see that I have an UnderArmor cold gear shirt on, a t shirt, and a cut off sweatshirt (like a vest). I was comfortable that morning.

Oh, yes the stickers get caught on it. But, it gives you something to do while sitting on stand...I pick them almost the entire sit...

Attachments

·
Registered
913 Posts
BROWN DECEPTION!!!! I love the stuff. The fleece is good, and quiet. I always use the rain gear as my outer layer. Every bit, if not more versatile than that AP stuff. I won't wear anything else during deer season.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
"can it hold up to long hard hunts?".....well, you said your a tree stand hunter. what is so "hard" about that? LOL. I'm sure it will hold up just great.

·
BowhunterT100
6,436 Posts
brown deception all the way

1 - 12 of 12 Posts