Archery Talk Forum banner

Preparation for hunting a mature buck - in March?

1935 30
What is the most profitable thing a hunter can do in the month of March in terms of preparation to arrow a mature buck in the fall?

Last month(February) the concensus was shed hunting while covering/learning your ground better, and trimming shooting lanes out.

Scouting new ground:
In my neck of the woods there is usually still snow on the ground until March, so seeing sign such as trails and scrape lines can be difficult on new and unfamiliar ground. Hence March is without a doubt my favorite month to scout out new properties once the snow is gone for good. If a potential stand location is found I may do some light trimming but am careful to not take out too much. Unless you run a trail cam in the area I see no reason to step foot in these woods again until you put your stand up in late summer/early fall. When my stands go up for good in late August the shooting lanes will get the final trim before the season gets underway.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
2,768 Posts
establish or revive mineral licks. Its never to early for that. Also you can still be clearing shooting lanes, placing trail cams, putting out feeders. this will help keep those bucks around. you could also hang some stands, check older stands. plenty to be dont thas for sure.

· Registered
6,628 Posts
Oddly enough, here in PA from my personal experience, March is the month when the sheds start showing up so my #1 answer for March is going to be shed hunting. Along with that, the snow has now melted so old scrapes and trails are visible once again so you may be able to place some pieces of the puzzle together. Hang some cameras, which is also helpful if you hunt turkey so you can kind of "double dip" now. Finally, clean up old stand sites and investigate the new ones you didn't get around to hunting last fall.

· Registered
2,621 Posts
Find where the majority of does like to bed, scope out a tree that fits for the prevailing wind. Try to figure out from where the does come from to that bedding area and perhaps two or three trails might join.

· Aim Small, Miss Small
5,622 Posts
Wait until the snow melts, then all the sign from last fall is visible. Find his beds, analyze why they are there, which winds he uses them on, where he can see, where he cant see, and where the weaknesses are in that bed. How can you slip in close to there without being seen or smelled..Take pictures, and find possible trees..then do your trimming.. Then find his other beds (as well as the beds of other mature bucks in the area). Then stay the heck out of there til next fall.

· Back down to ground level
18,528 Posts
I know the deer trails, feeding, and bedding areas where I hunt are beat to death in the winter, but get very little use in the fall. I heavily scouted a new piece of land last year throughout the entire season and found where they like to be during different times of the year. This year I'll go by last years observations and try to stay one step ahead of their changes. I have my spot ready for opening day and will only go in there for the trail camera. Getting ready now to go fishing.

· Registered
108 Posts
Last week I went out and put a couple mineral licks up, put a feeder out with my camera on it. And scouted the property till I knew it like the back of my hand

· Registered
1,786 Posts
its an easy time to see all of last years sign. scout your areas as if you were going to hunt them now. go into places you usually wouldn't during hunting season like bedding ares, sanctuarys, etc. its a great time of year to figure out what your deer were doing all year without the care of spooking them. i take a note book with me and take notes. its funny how the little details all add up when i go back in the fall to hunt a particular buck. i rarely "scout" in the woods in the fall. i usually know of my target bucks and scout them from a distance (binoculars, trail cams, etc.) in the fall. in the spring, i usually find the craziest areas that were holding deer that were easily overlooked in the fall. i also scout neighboring properties (with permission) to figure out how deer travel to and from in the area. its usually easy to get permissionto walk on a property to shed hunt, but by knowing what the deer do on there complete home range and not just your hunting property is invaluable come fall.

· Registered
6,506 Posts
Come on all you big buck hunters, what can be done(what do YOU do) in march that will help put the odds in our favor come autumn?
re-evaluate what happened last year. was your stand in a bad location due to lack of background cover, wind, location? refer to your hunting journal from last year, you do have a hunting journal do you? shed hunt, check new areas. you should be able to see rubs, scrapes and trails. i like to get all my gear out and see what needs repaired or upgraded. try new gear out. mineral licks are a good idea, but in Iowa we are not allowed to hunt over them. i put them up in bedding areas.
practice shooting, get into shape, lots of stuff to do. i like to be as prepared as i can be, nothing worse than a equipment malfunction to happen when the moment of truth happens.

Tony

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.