Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just nought a new slate call and also a glass call as well.

What do you do to prep them to help make them sound better. I have seen on here where some might take sand paper and rough them up a bit. I am not really sure.

Can someone please explain what a person should do to there call to make it sound better. If sand paper is the way to go then what grit would a person use.

Thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
Slate

Sandpaper works okay But loads up the slate with abrasive. Use some glass cleaner on the slate to remove any oils transfered from your hands.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Glass calls like Primos power crystal requires a lot of work but worth it.. Use the "conditioner" from Primos, a hand held grind stone that works wonders on it.. can get it done in 20 minutes...

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ttt

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Glass calls like Primos power crystal requires a lot of work but worth it.. Use the "conditioner" from Primos, a hand held grind stone that works wonders on it.. can get it done in 20 minutes...
i actally made this call sound allot better by using a carbon striker than there shipped wood striker

·
Registered
214 Posts
with a slate i jsut scuff mine up with scotch brite...for the glass calls i use sandpaper and rough them up pretty good
Yep. And make sure if you clean your slate go ahead and clean your striker too. a lot of the time it could be the striker making your slate make bad notes.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
As mentioned, Scotchbrite for the slate.... they don't need much just make sure they have no slick spots.

Now for glass or crystal, they need some work. As someone has said, you can use sandpaper and that will work fine. I personally really like a conditioning stone or something like the Primos Slick Stick better.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help. I do appreciate it. For the glass. What grit of sand paper would you recommend

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Heavy grit for crystal or glass.

·
Aim Small, Miss Small
5,589 Posts
Sorry for hijacking Muddy..

When using sandpaper on a glass call (I have the HS ring zone), how much do you sand? I have no idea how much to take off of there, and do you only sand in the one spot, or the whole thing??

Also, it seems like I have to scuff it up a little bit every few call sequences..is that normal?

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Sorry for hijacking Muddy..

When using sandpaper on a glass call (I have the HS ring zone), how much do you sand? I have no idea how much to take off of there, and do you only sand in the one spot, or the whole thing??

Also, it seems like I have to scuff it up a little bit every few call sequences..is that normal?
You only want to rough it up enough that it "grabs" the striker when played. It generally doesn't take much. Also, you only have to condition a small spot but generally I condition most of the call just so I can find the "sweet spot" that plays just a little sexier than the rest of the call.

Also, yes it is normal to have to lightly recondition your calls after making a few call sequences.... especially if you're using firm striker pressure to strike some volume.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Also, only go in ONE direction when sanding. Do not go in circles.
Excellent tip as well and I'm sorry that I had forgot to mention it in my previous post. :eek:

You guys ALWAYS want to sand in ONE direction.... side to side. This way you will strike against the grain to maximize the friction and prevent the call from skipping notes.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Here's a link to a blog I wrote on conditioning your glass call.

You may not be able to see the pics if you have any kind of firewall. If that is the case send me a PM and I'll re-do the blog.

happy hunting, dv

·
John
2,732 Posts
Thanks for all the help. I do appreciate it. For the glass. What grit of sand paper would you recommend
I use 100 grit drywall sandpaper (looks like a screen). It works really well for me.

·
Registered
783 Posts
What grit of sand paper do you use to condition and to touch up?

·
John
2,732 Posts
I forgot to mention that I use the sandpaper on the striker, too...rolling the striker in my fingers so that the tip is equally rounded.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the help everyone.

Dustyvarmint thank you very much for the blog. The info was great. Appreciate it.

Thanks
Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts