Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be hunting private land this season, I hunt mostly on the ground but Im wanting to set up a few spots with treestands.
Trying to decide if I want to go with 1 lightweight stand and have several spots preset with sticks and climb up n hang stand or should I have a few cheaper stands set up so I can just climb up n hunt..using a lifeline of course.
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
As I age I prefer setting them up ahead of time. Knees, back, and neck plus random bits of metal makes me happy for less work the afternoon of a hunt. I also figure when I hit 65 I may have switched to ladder stands.

If I was hunting on public land (north east) I would be setting locks-ons up every day.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I will be hunting private land this season, I hunt mostly on the ground but Im wanting to set up a few spots with treestands.
Trying to decide if I want to go with 1 lightweight stand and have several spots preset with sticks and climb up n hang stand or should I have a few cheaper stands set up so I can just climb up n hunt..using a lifeline of course.
Thanks for any help
If I had private land, I would be placing permanent stands about the property so when I went out, all I had to carry was my bow and back pack. It's quieter going in and when the weather is warm, less sweating on the carry in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I had private land, I would be placing permanent stands about the property so when I went out, all I had to carry was my bow and back pack. It's quieter going in and when the weather is warm, less sweating on the carry in.
Have you ever tried just carrying your stand in and just hangin the stand? But. ..your idea sounds the most simple and quiest. I hunt natural ground blinds and its simple n quiet

·
Registered
25,619 Posts
We have a small property and I do both. I have a ladderstand that we set up the first fall we bought it and I have a fixed stand/stick set up near a spot where the former owners built a big permanent wood treestand (that I have condemened as unsafe). Then I go in based on trail cam intel and set up a couple sticks with Millennium mounts so I can just carry in my very lightweight M7 stand. It drops into the mount very easily and is ready to hunt in moments. That way I don't overhunt a spot and keep them fresh.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
That is the beauty of hunting private land is having pre-set stands. Like others have mentioned quieter, less sweat when things are hot, slip in and out undetected. Mobile hunting is exciting and ever changing but best left when it is have to rather than want to, IMO. However, some hunters don't have the resources and one set up is all they can afford. That's when having the best you can afford comes into play.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Set one stand. Sit in it. Theres no substitute for putting in time and seeing where deer actually move. Sure, sometimes trails are plain as day to see in the ground. Other times, those are old and they don't follow them anymore. You could place a stand, find out the wind swirls and you need to be 20 yards one way or the other. Or that the deer simply avoid that area completely at that time of year.

Sit it. Move as necessary. Sucks hanging 5 stands then sitting them and figuring out they all need to move.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Set one stand. Sit in it. Theres no substitute for putting in time and seeing where deer actually move. Sure, sometimes trails are plain as day to see in the ground. Other times, those are old and they don't follow them anymore. You could place a stand, find out the wind swirls and you need to be 20 yards one way or the other. Or that the deer simply avoid that area completely at that time of year.

Sit it. Move as necessary. Sucks hanging 5 stands then sitting them and figuring out they all need to move.
You are right. Ive done that settin up ground blinds..then figure out i need to move 30 yrds..good point

·
Registered
402 Posts
If you're new to the property, I would set a couple permanent stands for easy access and have a mobile set up ready if you need to move into a spot if you notice better movement in a certain location. Then going forward, I would have all stands permanent. No reason to cause extra disturbance, time into stand, less scent control yada yada.

·
Registered
Realm X 60 lb, Realm X 60 lb for backup.
664 Posts
I have 3 preset stands on my little piece of land. I've also got a Novix Helo and Novix sticks that weighs about 16 pounds and takes 10-15 minutes to set up quietly. Have an old Summit Climber I can set up in 5-10 minutes with a little more noise. I'll sit the presets which are my best guess as to where the deer will move, but will also use the mobile setups when needed. The presets are in spots I can get to without spooking deer and 2 are over food plots.

·
Registered
20,055 Posts
Too much work to hang & hunt, usually all sweated up by time finished hanging it. Use preset stands so just walk in & climb up start hunting NO sweating! I do have a climber but hardly ever use it. Been bow hunting since 1968 so have been around the block more than once.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have 3 preset stands on my little piece of land. I've also got a Novix Helo and Novix sticks that weighs about 16 pounds and takes 10-15 minutes to set up quietly. Have an old Summit Climber I can set up in 5-10 minutes with a little more noise. I'll sit the presets which are my best guess as to where the deer will move, but will also use the mobile setups when needed. The presets are in spots I can get to without spooking deer and 2 are over food plots.
I was actually considering the Helo..have preset sticks..climb up n hang. I have Wild edge steps for mobil climbing⁹

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Too much work to hang & hunt, usually all sweated up by time finished hanging it. Use preset stands so just walk in & climb up start hunting NO sweating! I do have a climber but hardly ever use it. Been bow hunting since 1968 so have been around the block more than once.

I started in 1975..you got me beat..lol
Ive hunted on the ground 90% of the time

·
Registered
147 Posts
On the private land I hunt I have several different preset stands that we have hung throughout the years. I'll hunt those & then if I notice I need to be 40 yards away or stumble upon a new stand location during the season I take my saddle setup in & hunt. Kind of a combination of presets & being mobile. Success has increased quite a bit with this tactic. Sometimes after season we will go in & move a couple stands but never really during. Really have came to prefer hunting out of the saddle & it really isn't much work to hang a few sticks & a platform for a hunt.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Can't beat the presets me and my buds use in Illinois (been hunting the same farm since 2005) BUT I do most of my hunting in PA out of a saddle with trees set up by pre drilling to accept my carbon fiber bolts on private and Lone Wolf sticks on public. BTW I am 70yr mature and started bowhunting in 1965 when I got strong enough to shoot a 43# recurve.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Have you ever tried just carrying your stand in and just hangin the stand? But. ..your idea sounds the most simple and quiest. I hunt natural ground blinds and its simple n quiet
I haven't; we are not allowed to leave anything on the trees overnight on the public land that I hunt so I haul a climber in and out on my back every hunt. I have hunted son-in-law's land a couple of times and he has permanent ladder stands up. So nice to sneak in an hour before sunrise with just my bow and be up in the tree in a few minutes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can't beat the presets me and my buds use in Illinois (been hunting the same farm since 2005) BUT I do most of my hunting in PA out of a saddle with trees set up by pre drilling to accept my carbon fiber bolts on private and Lone Wolf sticks on public. BTW I am 70yr mature and started bowhunting in 1965 when I got strong enough to shoot a 43# recurve.
Im 61, not far behind you..lol

·
Registered
420 Posts
I find permanent hang on stands are good around the edges of your hunting area. Use them for the first few hunts knowing that you are hunting first but more likely just scouting. Once you see where the deer are traveling you can put up a mobile set and hunt it. I find the first time I hunt a new stand location is the best chance of getting a shot.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts