Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,284 Posts

· Registered
2,434 Posts

Bowtech recomends to not put them in a press. It states this in the owners manual. All you need to do is back the limb bolts out. I believe if you use a press it voids he warranty.

· Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I may be wrong but you may be confused with the General and Guardian. The Admiral and Captain are a bit different. My shop tried to back out the bolts and just couldn't quite get the string loose enough without backing them out past a safe amount.

Bowkil, which Apple is that?

· Registered
9,755 Posts
I won't allow my commanders (center pivot riser) to be worked on unless an EZ press is used. It presses the limbs at the tips only. I've only had to change string and cables so far on the bow, and I found that backing out the limb bolts got the job done.

· Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,284 Posts
Bowkil, which Apple is that?[/QUOTE]

It's the Apple Super Pro Press. And yes, you can back out the limb bolts on the Captain. It takes roughly 50 turns (I alternate 10 turns at a time on each limb) before the limbs relax enough to work on the string/cables. But it's kind of a pain in the butt if you just need to tweek it here and there. Too much bolt turning for my liking. Plus, the steel limb bolts in the alumimum threads tend to cause a lot of friction with too much turning. Not good. It's no problem pressing the Captain (or like bows) when using the proper press/method.

· Registered
3,044 Posts
What type of press do you suggest for these bows. Will the Apple type work? How about portable. Will a Bowmaster work? Do you use the split limb adaptors or the little bar?
You can't use the Bowmaster.

You can use an Apple press with the adapters shown in the pics above.

I recommend the ELP press form LA Archery. It presses from the tips, but also can be used like a more traditional press.

It is built as a pro shop press, but the price is a lot less than most of your big names.

It also has a Time Machine option that lets you time the bow on the press without the need for a draw board.

I have used all of the major presses out there quite a bit, and owned an X-Press myself. The ELP is the best out there IMO.

10,286 Posts
Bow Press for Captain

The owners manual does not state that you cannot put the bow in a bow press; however, it does state the bow should be worked on at an authorized dealer and they use presses all of the time. As for self-pressing...it is a pain and do not use a low speed drill as you will heat the aluminum up and seize the bolt when the metal swells. I live too far from an authorized dealer so I purchased the EZ Press. An Apple or LA will work just as well...as I have heard. The biggest point is I need to be able to work on my bow without having to run to the dealer. Last...press at the axles!...all finger adapters will do this. Hope this helps.

· Registered
2,095 Posts
Look at the nite hawk press.

Here are some picture of the Nite Hawk, pressing an Adiral. They were sent to us by Greg Bush of EZ Limit guide service in Alaska.

This press, presses at the tips of the limbs and down the center of the limbs, which mean it always presses both sides of the limbs equally and over the intire length of the limbs. So it works great on all the Bowtech bows and any parelell or beyond parelell limb bow. Needs no adapters. Presses any bow. You can see how easy it work at our web site www.nitehawkarchery.com.

The video there show how easy it is to press your bow, change cams, and even tare the bow down completely. And it weighs only 25oz. Cost less then $100.00.

Take a look. Ken

Attachments

· Registered
3 Posts
Apple Edge Press

What type of press do you suggest for these bows. Will the Apple type work? How about portable. Will a Bowmaster work? Do you use the split limb adaptors or the little bar?
Take a look at the Apple Edge press. It was designed to press all of the Bow Tech center pivot bows. The concept is the same as the $1400.00 Evolution pro press but is sold for only $299.00.

Except for the jack (which has a 1 yr warranty) the press has a lifetime warranty and Apple has been in business since 1992. Apple's press is produced in an ISO certified machine shop under strick quality control standards.

· Registered
11,867 Posts
So...... I can back the limb bolts out on my Admiral enough to install peeps and such?

How about my General?

10,286 Posts
Bow Press

You guys are right, you can back out the bolts. I looked in the owners manual. But wow backing those bolts out that far is scary!
I own the Captain and press it with the EZ Press. The owners manual does not state you cannot use a press. I have self pressed the bow and it is a pain. The EZ Press is very efficient and quick. The apple does have finger adapters which you can purchase separately. Do not use the bowmaster as is not made for bows like this...let me put that differently...I would not use a bowmaster on my center pivot. The owners manual also states you can back each bolt out 1 inch at a time alternating between limbs...if it were me doing it I would only go 5 full turns at a time as it will bind doing it the other way. And, if it were me doing a self press I would not even think about using a low speed drill as you can heat up the aluminum riser and seize the bolt.

· Registered
10,119 Posts
whatever

Yes you can do either,
thay can be pressed and no it won't void the warranty, UNLESS it's not pressed correctly.

Reccommend the EZ Press.

· Independent Joe
5,224 Posts
Bowtech uses and recomends the EZ press.

· Banned
3,019 Posts
i have one of jason mcormick's new toad presses. it is more adjustable than an e-z press but works the same way,on the limb tips. i havent found a bow yet that it won't press safely. they are half the price of an e-z.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.