Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hydrolic press and want to know the safe/proper way to press a bow. Where to the inside (riser) rollers go and the outside (limb) rollers go? I do not have any long riser bows. I do have a split limb bow. On this press the inside rollers are lipped and the limbs ones are round without the lip. I hope you can understand what I mean by lipped. Like this \__/

Thanks,
Bowgal

·
Registered
815 Posts
Bowgal,

It sounds like you have the tapered rollers on your press. The rollers are about 4" long and the inside (at the bottom of the taper) is probably only about 2" or so - correct? If this is the case, you should not use these rollers. It may cause the limbs to be pushed together when you press the bow. You can get the split limb rollers from Apple (or you can get your tapered ones machined out in about 20 minutes at a machine shop).

The inside (riser) rollers should be put on the limbs where the limbs meet the limb pockets. This is important especially with the Hoyt Tec risers. The limb rollers should be placed close enough to the cam(s) / idler wheel as possible without the rollers contacting the cam(s) / idler wheel while the bow is pressed. Having these rollers too close to the riser (middle of the limbs) will cause damage - either to the limbs, your press or you should something break. It will take a tremendous force to press the bow if the rollers are not right.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I can post a pic tomorrow.

10xring, maybe the pic will clear it up some. I really want to do this right without damaging me or the bow!! I really am glad to get some help on this. Thanks.

Bowgal

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
10xring has it right. I would remove limb savers or move them close to the riser end of the limbs if you use those. Will save you some headache.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After seeing your link 10xring, I have several more questions bubble to the surface.......

Can I use round rollers for the limb and riser for all bows instead of tapered ones?

I don't have any tec-riser bows (at least not yet!!) but can I press all bows like in your picture? I didn't know where the riser roller went, I have seen my shop press bows near the ends of the riser rather than the junction of the limb/riser. These bows were not long riser or tec either.

I was looking on the apple press website and all the bows they have pressed are near the end of the riser. Did they do that for looks or is that how bows can be pressed?

Thanks!
Bowgal

·
Registered
815 Posts
Bowgal,

Yes, you can use round rollers instead of tapered rollers. However, I like the rollers with a lip (flat and not tapered) for the limbs so that I cannot accidentally knock the bow out of the press.

Yes, you can press all bows like what is shown in my pics. You can press bows other than the Tec riser bows with the rollers toward the end of the riser (right above the limb pocket) but I find it easier to press at the base of the limbs. On the Mathews bows such as the LX and Legacy, Mathews recommends to back out the limb bolts before pressing the bow.

Unfortunately, Apple does not make a press that will press all bows without getting an extra pull bar and jack rack. You would then have to switch out the pull bars for the different bows. That is why I made my press that you see in the pics. It does it all.

I have been thinking about some of your questions and also that you have a hydraulic press. You need to be real careful with that press until you get used to it. Here are a couple of pointers:

1) If you have a bow pressed and you are going to let off the jack, make sure you turn the handle SLOWLY. If you turn it too quick, you will load up the bow pretty quick and you could have a string or cable slip out of a groove.

2) When you are going to let off on the jack to un-press a bow, double check the string and cables to make sure the loops are over the posts securely and that the string and cables are in the grooves. I will take one hand and push the string down toward the riser while checking the loops and grooves. I then keep pressure on the string while I am letting off on the press to make sure nothing slips off a post or out of a groove.

3) While you are pressing a bow, always keep checking the limb rollers and how close they are to the cam (s) / idler wheel. You can probably bend an axle if you keep pressing a bow while the roller is contacting the cam (s) / idler wheel.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
10xring,

I tried to get the pic to the AT site but it keeps telling me they are too large and I don't know how to shrink them. Maybe I can email my press pics to you.

My press has very adjustable riser rollers and looks as if it could press the longer risers. But as I mentioned we do not have any.

I appreciate the three points, they are very important indeed! I will definitely heed them so as I do not have a bow blow up in the press or while drawing it after getting it out of the press!

This press is going to save me so much time. My family all shoot and there are 6 bows to work with! I have learned so much from nice people here on AT and fellow archers in my area!! I am so grateful.

Bowgal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts