Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read different info on pressing the Insanity, Experience with the bearing blocks that hang off the limb tips. Do you press these under the blocks, or press ON the blocks, using the shape of the block to keep the bow on the press fingers/tips? I need to re-setup my press to press these, and want to make sure I do it wright. Thanks

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So not on the limb itself, push on the metal block? How does the x-press work then with the big wheels? That is one of the conflicting methods, and they are athorized by bowtech as acceptable presses to use. I have an Experience here that I need to press, and I tried to do a buddies insanity last year, and couldn't get it to work with the setup I had at the time, so sent him to the shop. I didn't want to break anything. Now I am upgrading the press, and want to make sure it works.

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
I thought you said you had "fingers" on your press? You didn't say X press lol...I'm sure someone with an X press can fill you in though on how to do it. I put the curve of the EZ press's finger right over the curved part of the pillow blocks and press until the Flx guard goes straight, then you can push in on the Flx guard and take the string out of the cam groove and rotate either cam to do whatever you need to do.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought you said you had "fingers" on your press? You didn't say X press lol...I'm sure someone with an X press can fill you in though on how to do it. I put the curve of the EZ press's finger right over the curved part of the pillow blocks and press until the Flx guard goes straight, then you can push in on the Flx guard and take the string out of the cam groove and rotate either cam to do whatever you need to do.
Mine has the "finger" style. I was just referring to the x-press with wheels because when you watch their you-tube vid, they say damage will happen if you press on the blocks, and that Bowtech says not too. Then I see others with finger styles pressing on blocks. I'll give the local Bowtech dealer a call and see what he has been told to do.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
You aren't going to hurt anything by pressing on the blocks or just below the blocks as long as you are still pressing from the limb tips (top 3" or so of the limb). When they first came out you weren't supposed to press on the pillow blocks at all. As long as you are putting the pressure on the top 3" or so of the limb; you are tip pressing the bow. Limbs were longer at 14"-16"and had a larger area of flexibility not so long ago. Now you see alot with 12" limbs with nearly all their flexibility at the top. You don't want to go too far down the limbs due to the way they are designing now with very short limbs that do the majority of their flexing at the top 20-30% of the limb with center pivots and preloaded limbs especially. Trying to press too low where to relax your limbs in an area not designed to flex will end with a CRACK!! With the larger cams and wheels on bows now you don't want to use the old method of straight pins below the cams which would put you in the center area of the limb or further. If pressing with the wheels you can slide the up where you are just on the underside of the pillow blocks while pressing and still putting all the pressure at the bows tips. What you're trying to avoid is people using older presses and putting pressure well under the pillow blocks closer to the much stiffer center area of the limbs like in some of the old Xpress videos. Especially on the center pivot and preloaded bows with short limbs; its always a good idea to relieve some of the tension by backing out the limb bolts a bit, and remember that all you are doing is relaxing the bow enough to lift the string off to free the cams so you can work on it. The vast majority of limb damage comes from people over pressing the bow so they can more comfortly reach a post or module without just lifting the string off and doing what they need to do. Pay close attention to the actual point of contact of your wheel on the limb because thats where all the pressure will be applied. As with all presses: take your time and look things over very well first and continue watching while you apply pressure to avoid a predictable problem and eventual failure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts