Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from not placing a bulls-eye right between the bales, what have you done to stop an arrow from passing between the bales?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can you post a picture of the target you are using? Curious to see what size bales and if they are square or round bales

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
edthearcher
6,552 Posts
I dont think you can really use a straw bale to stop compound arrows unless you have it turned gown to 40 lbs.. we use to use them for recurves. if it does stop them the arrow will be buried up to the fletching

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have a picture right now. But they are rectangular bales stacked.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our practice butts at the range are all straw bales. They stop everyone's compound shots. My 45# recurve passed through where the two bales meet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's what I was about to say. If you have a compound bow and your pulling 50+ pounds what it would take to kill a deer (could take less) then the arrow is going to go straight through that bale, if not the first few times it will start to pass through. Especially if you are using hunting arrows that hit hard like mayhems.

Get you a cheap target, we have over 50 rineheart targets we shoot every Sunday and we get half the arrows sticking through the targets after we shoot centers.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Just put some ratchet straps around them and make them more compact

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah, I see. Compress the bales and make them tighter. I'll put two 2x6 boards side by side and a 2x4 across the top of those to join them. Top and bottom of bales and use a heavy duty ratchet strap to compress. Thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My 13 y/o daughter is pulling 32# on her compound and she passed an arrow between the two bales, but when she places a shot in the bale, it penetrates about 6 inches with a 246 grain arrow.

·
Vendor
26,744 Posts
$300 is a lot of money for a hay bale. 2 bales generally are about 3'x3'. Many archery clubs used them years ago and built huts to protect them. That is why we chose 3'x3' target skins. They will fit in the huts perfectly, easier to pull arrows, less mess and cost way less to build.:wink: Archery Field archery Target archery Recreation Shooting range
Wildlife Illustration Deer Art Drawing

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
$300 is a lot of money for a hay bale. 2 bales generally are about 3'x3'. Many archery clubs used them years ago and built huts to protect them. That is why we chose 3'x3' target skins. They will fit in the huts perfectly, easier to pull arrows, less mess and cost way less to build.:wink: View attachment 6024337 View attachment 6024345
$300? I paid $8 each for my hay bales. Total of $16. Only thing I need to do now it use the ratchet strap I bought from Harbor Freight for $9 to compress it. I'll probably wrap it in some plastic too.

I took a look at your website, but I am not sure what I would do with the target skin. There isn't much of an explanation on how to use it.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Haven't used hay in 20 years due to difficulties in stopping arrows, but when I did, I used threaded rods run between a pair of 2x10s with the straw between the boards. Then put a nut with washers on the rods and crank em down.

·
Registered
8,434 Posts
Not all bales are created equal. The loosely packed bales with twine are nearly useless for stopping arrows. The bales that are packed tight with wire will stop any arrow. They will last as well as any other target material.

Strapping bales together is essential too

Allen

·
Registered
91 Posts
I take old carpet (Check craigslist or any flooring store) and put a few (2-3) layers on the back side of the hay bales. It will stop anything you can throw at it.

·
Vendor
26,744 Posts
$300? I paid $8 each for my hay bales. Total of $16. Only thing I need to do now it use the ratchet strap I bought from Harbor Freight for $9 to compress it. I'll probably wrap it in some plastic too.

I took a look at your website, but I am not sure what I would do with the target skin. There isn't much of an explanation on how to use it.
The $8 bales are your problem. The straw ones are intended for landscapers planting seed etc. They are packed too loose with string. The actual regular hay bales are packed for livestock to eat and wrapped in string. In the above video the bales are compacted then banded with metal banding.
Our skins are mainly used by building a 3'x3' box out of a 12' 2x12". Then stapling the skin to the front and back. Fill the box with old clothes. One of the best stopping media's you can get is old clothes. Easy 2 finger arrow removal.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts