Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a little advice and tips on how to prevent screws from rusting on an HHA sight and other gear. Any tricks that anyone has tried? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I have done

a couple of different things. You can use a little WD 40 from time to time or once you get it where you want it put some clear fingernail polish on them. Good luck..........

·
Resident Philosopher
11,625 Posts
Bee's wax.....
natures rust preventative and locktite

·
Registered
11,141 Posts
I am not bashing HHA as I love there sights, but you would think that all companies would start using stainless steel screws, as we do pay top dollar for there product.

to get the rust off steel wool and some type of mineral or Veg oil will work. To prevent the rust some type of petrolium based, wax (such as bow string wax will do the trick)

·
Registered
575 Posts
I am not bashing HHA as I love there sights, but you would think that all companies would start using stainless steel screws, as we do pay top dollar for there product.

to get the rust off steel wool and some type of mineral or Veg oil will work. To prevent the rust some type of petrolium based, wax (such as bow string wax will do the trick)
My experiance is Stainless and Aluminum don't get along.They have a
chemical reaction with each other and basically weld themselves together.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Texoma is correct you don't want to use stainless with aluminum there is a chemical reation that over time will weld the two together. I replace the screws at the end of each season. Cost about $1.50 at the hardware store.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Dip a cotton swab in vegetable oil, roll it over paper tab to remove excess and go over all my screws ever so often works for me. I take it deer likes their veggies. :lol:

·
eyes and arrows
3,682 Posts
thats all fine and good, but my first HHA was all rusty in a week. I changed out many of the screws when i got a different one. Go to ace hardware, it costs about 3 bucks for a whole make-over (that is why i am confused as to why they dont just do something different at the factory)

i have had many sights, some for years and years, without a speck of rust. so someone knows how to do it. (cough, spot hogg, cough)

joe

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Here's a tip that works to prevent rust.

Using A Q-TIP, coat the hardware you intend to protect with a few dabs of boiled linseed oil. One coat will generally last several months.

·
Don't Touch The Mustache
2,059 Posts
Not so.
I've used thousands of stainless screws on aluminum pieces.
You can't use stainless on stainless without using an anti sieze lubricant - it's called galling. You can't use materials with a similar softness ratings. Stainless on anodized aluminum is OK.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts