Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that use your bows primarily for hunting I was just curious if you do anything to the bolts on your site, rest, etc. I have heard of people giving them a little oil so they dont rust. Theres usually a time that I get rained on when I hunt and my bolts will start rusting, is there any oils made for this purpose and if so who uses it?

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Ive heard some people put clear fingernail polish on the bolt heads and screws. I just use a drop of Rem. oil.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
WD-40 stands for Water Displacer--Formula 40. The stuff was designed to displace the water that collected on missiles as they sat in underground stroage.

Automan

·
Registered
939 Posts
I use the same lube the manufacturer used on the limb rockers and put it on well before the season so any fumes have ample time to dissipate. I figure the smell of the lube from the manufacturer is already on the bow and is required. Just my opinion. I am careful not to get improper lube on plastic or sound dampers to avoid deterioration. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
17,587 Posts
Vaseline works great.

While elk hunting in CO last year I noticed the bolts starting to rust in several places after a couple days. I had some fire starters made with cotton balls and Vaseline. Rubbed it on and it lasted the rest of the season

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
As urabus said string wax.

I press the bow and remove all screws, bolts, etc. and cover them with string wax then reassemble and fill the voids on any recessed screws.

I also carry a can of dry air, from Office Depot, to spray any area that I can not wipe dry with paper towel and hang to dry over night. I also make sure that the case is dry before putting bow back in it.

I have never had a problem with rust doing this.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
String Wax!

As urabus said string wax.

I press the bow and remove all screws, bolts, etc. and cover them with string wax then reassemble and fill the voids on any recessed screws.

I also carry a can of dry air, from Office Depot, to spray any area that I can not wipe dry with paper towel and hang to dry over night. I also make sure that the case is dry before putting bow back in it.

I have never had a problem with rust doing this.
I too use string wax to cover the heads and bases of the screws with but I also use blue loctite on the threads to keep them from moving from vibration etc. Hint: Use a hair dryer on a low heat setting over the screw heads after application allows the wax to seep into the recesses of the slot or hex...

·
Registered
322 Posts
I take a Q-tip and dip it in olive oil. I just coat the heads of the bolts that I can get to. One application works all year.

·
Banned
1,421 Posts
I use corn or vegetable oil. You can also put a thin coat on your broadheads to keep them from rusting.I am a scent control freak so I'm careful about any odors on my equipment while I'm hunting

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Perfect thread for me!I got showered on hard saturday, I'm gonna try some of these ideas out today!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Two Words, " Break Free ". Fights rust, won't attract dust. Penetrates into the metal. Been usin' it for over 20 yrs. It works.

·
Resident Philosopher
11,625 Posts
petroleum base product have an odor deer can smell
string way or bee's wax is my choice
also either of these on screw threads act as a locktite

·
Registered
221 Posts
another for string wax

1 - 15 of 15 Posts