Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I predominately hunt out of 15ft ladders stands. I get them on sale from either Rural King or Dicks for $49-53.

According to the experts here, and I know they all have good intentions, I need to invest in optional equipment that will double my investment.

The first one you hear about is needing to "hook up" from the ground to the top thus investing in a Hunter Safety System Life Line for $39.99. I then need to invest another $10-15 for a good cable and lock so no one steals my stand. I have now instantly doubled the price of my original stand.

Don't get me wrong, hooking up all the way is a great concept but if you take my 20+ stands it would break the bank. Even making my own with "quality" rope and such will run at least $30. I do hook up all the way on the my hang ons though because those things don't take as much to fail. But I feel very very secure climbing a ladder stand and waiting to hook up until on top. I mean heck, we don't have life lines to clean our gutters, trim our trees or even walk up a set of stairs. Should I no longer stand on a chair to change a lightbulb? Accidents happen and ALL accidents are avoidable, but lets be realistic.

As far as locking my stands? Heck, take the dang thing if you have that much motivation to steal and avoid a real job.

I think I'll go buy another 20 stands with the money I just saved:darkbeer:

· Registered
4,251 Posts
I predominately hunt out of 15ft ladders stands. I get them on sale from either Rural King or Dicks for $49-53.

According to the experts here, and I know they all have good intentions, I need to invest in optional equipment that will double my investment.

The first one you hear about is needing to "hook up" from the ground to the top thus investing in a Hunter Safety System Life Line for $39.99. I then need to invest another $10-15 for a good cable and lock so no one steals my stand. I have now instantly doubled the price of my original stand.

Don't get me wrong, hooking up all the way is a great concept but if you take my 20+ stands it would break the bank. Even making my own with "quality" rope and such will run at least $30. I do hook up all the way on the my hang ons though because those things don't take as much to fail. But I feel very very secure climbing a ladder stand and waiting to hook up until on top. I mean heck, we don't have life lines to clean our gutters, trim our trees or even walk up a set of stairs. Should I no longer stand on a chair to change a lightbulb? Accidents happen and ALL accidents are avoidable, but lets be realistic.

As far as locking my stands? Heck, take the dang thing if you have that much motivation to steal and avoid a real job.

I think I'll go buy another 20 stands with the money I just saved:darkbeer:
tough choices, if you really wanna protect your ladder stand you need more than one cable. you can spend as much on good cables as the stand cost in the first place:confused:i guess its worth it buying the cables just so you don't have to run out and buy more stands and set them up again after a theft...and i believe it's our duty to make things as hard as possible for thieves.....

· Registered
129 Posts
For a ladder stand, I agree. You don't see roofers hooking up to climb up to the second story. As long as you stay on the same platform, I see no reason to hook up till you get to the top. Stepping off of sticks or steps to a hangon unhooked seems like more risk than it's worth though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.