Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys,

I am in my early 20's and starting to get interested in Archery. I'm a big time newbie, but I have a question for you, if any of you are pretty knowledgeable on used bows.

I currently live in South Korea teaching English, and there's a bow range I tried out for fun and loved it. Now I'm wanting to get my own bow, but for a country with a rich history of bows, there are surprisingly few bows shops. In fact, I haven't been able to find one. Speaking on a handful of Korean might hinder my search as well.

Anyways, a guy e-mailed me online selling a Martin compound. It's a Martin Phantom Magnum w/ fiber optic sights, drop in whisker bisquit and silencers, clip on kwikee quiver and tru-ball release. Plus a few arrows. I looked the bow up online, and couldn't find much info, but then saw that the bow is around 2001. I'm not sure how well bows age.

Plain and simple, Is $200 a fair price for this package? Bows are very hard to come across here as I've been looking for about 3 weeks and this is the first person I've found selling one.

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer, I appreciate it!

·
Banned
1,301 Posts
Hey there guys,

I am in my early 20's and starting to get interested in Archery. I'm a big time newbie, but I have a question for you, if any of you are pretty knowledgeable on used bows.

I currently live in South Korea teaching English, and there's a bow range I tried out for fun and loved it. Now I'm wanting to get my own bow, but for a country with a rich history of bows, there are surprisingly few bows shops. In fact, I haven't been able to find one. Speaking on a handful of Korean might hinder my search as well.

Anyways, a guy e-mailed me online selling a Martin compound. It's a Martin Phantom Magnum w/ fiber optic sights, drop in whisker bisquit and silencers, clip on kwikee quiver and tru-ball release. Plus a few arrows. I looked the bow up online, and couldn't find much info, but then saw that the bow is around 2001. I'm not sure how well bows age.

Plain and simple, Is $200 a fair price for this package? Bows are very hard to come across here as I've been looking for about 3 weeks and this is the first person I've found selling one.

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer, I appreciate it!
You could spend a couple hundred more and get a 2010 Martin.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I believe it would be worth that for bare bow only.
The package is even better.
It probably has the Dyna cam one cam on it.
The draw length can eisily be changed with modules and I don't think it requires a press.
You shold inquire about the cam type and if it is a Dyna cam ask if he still has the mods.
Even if he doesn't there available through Martin and are relatively cheep.
You could probably come up with some on AT too.They are very common and still in use on there newest current one cam.
A bow that fits is parimount no matter the cost.
One last thing that bow probably has phantom camo on it and it was near the end of Martin using anodizing on there finishes.I think it was the most durable and attractive finishes they ever made and I bet the bow fiish looks like new.
PM if I can be of any help.
Chuck.

·
Registered
24,837 Posts
old bow but a good one. $200 doesnt sound bad but i can go down to dicks sporting goods and pick up a brand new martin all decked out for $350 if that. and its a great bow (same as martin bengal with different name)

·
Registered
328 Posts
I wouldn't pay that much for it I just sold my 2004 Martin Magnum Tracer bare for $150 and I paid the shipping on it.Would go maybe $125-$150 due to the acc. on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I realize that in the states it is much easier to buy a used bow cheaper, but like I said, I'm in Korea, and I've yet to find an archery shop. There's no Cabela's, Dick's, Bass Pro or any oversized outdoors stores here:angry:. Hunting here is nearly impossible with the regulations(especially for foreigners like myself), so only a handful of people in the country actually have bows with all you can do being target practice. I imagine I'll be paying inflated prices on a new or used bow, but since a couple people have said 200 isn't bad, and that's coming from the USA, I imagine 200 is a fair deal in a country without many outdoors sports shops.

Thanks a lot for your opinions and responses. Like I said, I'm a newbie, this will be my first bow, but really looking forward to it! Back in the states my hobby was shooting guns, trying to pick up archery will be a fun flip side of target shooting! :darkbeer:

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
I think thats a fair price were your located to get into archery,since it's a martin you cant really go wrong.Those older bows were made to last.Just make sure you get setup correctly and you should be fine.Enjoy....:darkbeer:

·
Registered
24,837 Posts
given that there no shops around maybe it would be better to get a recurve bow. no bow press and all the other fancy stuff needed to set them up

·
Registered
24,837 Posts
No press needed for Martin bows ! :darkbeer:

Woody
ya your right but i think it would be easier on him to learn how to set up a recurve then a compound. unless of course he finds a shop or someone that can teach him

·
Registered
403 Posts
Have a friend or relative go to a bow shop state side and buy a new Martin bow that you select on their web site and have them hip it to you in Korea. Most sellers will not ship out of the country.

Marin is good bow and their manuels will show you how to set-up and fix the bow.
they also have great customer service.

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
ya your right but i think it would be easier on him to learn how to set up a recurve then a compound. unless of course he finds a shop or someone that can teach him
Reasons to get a recurve:
1 - Korea has a lot of great recurve archers. Resources for learning to shoot a recurve will likely be easier to find than for compound bows.

2 - If you get a 3 piece recurve, it's a lot easier to travel with than a compound.

3 - There is less involved in getting a recurve that will fit you than a compound

With the lack of archery shops, if you decide to go with a compound, you should limit yourself to Martin bows. They do not require a bow press to work on them. This could be critical in getting it set up so that you can learn to shoot it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts