Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a lot on AT about what it takes to be a good hunter. A lot of things factor in but the number one thing has to be a good place to hunt. We live in a bad area to shoot big bucks, but NJ is swamped with turkeys. We never really put much thought into trying to hunt them until this year. I hunted them a little here and there in the past but this year we got a couple permits and decided to really give the turkey hunting thing a shot. I'm sure not many think of NJ as a good place to hunt, but this video might change you mind. We had 3 tags between the 2 of us for our zone and filled them all. The smallest bird was 20 pounds. It was a lot of fun and we'll be hunting them from now on. My point is this. There are guys that are 10x better then us at turkey hunting that may have had limited spots and success this year. It doesn't make them bad hunters. The same goes with hunting big bucks. Some guys pass up bucks that we would love to get a glimpse of in the woods or even a trail camera picture of. When the big deer are abundant your chances of shooting one go way up. When you have big turkeys all over this is what happens....

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I'm going to look at this from a different perspective. Like you mentioned not too many people would think ok NJ as a great place for hunting, but yet given the proper habitat and lack of hunting pressure the turkey population has flourished. To me this shows that given the right circumstances wildlife can exceed expectations anywhere.

Now I'm not saying some places are not better suited for bigger deer, but if someone is willing to put in the effort they could establish a mature population anywhere.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to look at this from a different perspective. Like you mentioned not too many people would think ok NJ as a great place for hunting, but yet given the proper habitat and lack of hunting pressure the turkey population has flourished. To me this shows that given the right circumstances wildlife can exceed expectations anywhere.

Now I'm not saying some places are not better suited for bigger deer, but if someone is willing to put in the effort they could establish a mature population anywhere.

I can remember my dad pulling in the driveway about 15 years ago saying jump in the truck! I just saw a turkey! We raced up the road and watched a hen walk across the field. Since then they’ve made an amazing comeback in NJ. I’m not sure there’s quite as many in north jersey but our area has a ton of them. The state only allows a certain amount of permits per zone so our zone can be tough to get a permit because of the high number of birds.

I also agree with you about the deer. We have potential to grow big deer and some areas they do get big. The problem is the amount of bucks they allow to be killed. 1 fall bow, 1 permit bow, 1 muzzleloader, 2 shotgun, 1 winter bow and unlimited does is not the best formula to grow big bucks.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't know NJ had that many birds. Pretty cool to see them flourish in the N.E. states
I believe they let them go probably 20 years ago in our area. We didn’t have many coyotes so thats probably why they did so well. It has been amazing to watch them flourish. I’ve heard the state is catching them and moving them around to areas with less birds. The DNR makes a lot of bad moves but I have to give them credit for this one. They really created a great place to turkey hunt. I just wish it was easier to get permits in our zone.

·
Team Mongrel Rookie
4,509 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I can remember my dad pulling in the driveway about 15 years ago saying jump in the truck! I just saw a turkey! We raced up the road and watched a hen walk across the field. Since then they’ve made an amazing comeback in NJ. I’m not sure there’s quite as many in north jersey but our area has a ton of them. The state only allows a certain amount of permits per zone so our zone can be tough to get a permit because of the high number of birds.

I also agree with you about the deer. We have potential to grow big deer and some areas they do get big. The problem is the amount of bucks they allow to be killed. 1 fall bow, 1 permit bow, 1 muzzleloader, 2 shotgun, 1 winter bow and unlimited does is not the best formula to grow big bucks.
Wow. Yeah that's a lot of bucks that can be taken. We are the exact opposite in Indiana, only one buck, but pretty much unlimited does

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
They really created a great place to turkey hunt. I just wish it was easier to get permits in our zone.
The reason the turkey hunting is good is because it's harder to get permits. It's actually regulated, unlike our deer seasons which are a free-for-all, and why the quality of deer hunting has plummeted. Great videos.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Shhh D street your gonna let everyone in our best kept secret. As far as big deer they are here but far and few between. Location location location. ..........

·
Shoot straight!
3,620 Posts

So its not the location. Just that it is badly managed?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The reason the turkey hunting is good is because it's harder to get permits. It's actually regulated, unlike our deer seasons which are a free-for-all, and why the quality of deer hunting has plummeted. Great videos.
Yeah you’re right about that. It’s the main reason I didn’t turkey hunt though was because getting the tags for our zone were so hard. It was like drawing a bow tag in Iowa. It took me three years to get a permit for our zone in the lottery.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So its not the location. Just that it is badly managed?

In my opinion yes. I believe if they managed our deer herd better we’d have way nicer deer. I pretty much believe that goes for any area. So I guess what I should of titled it is Prime example of a well managed area. NJ treats the turkeys way better then the deer here. No fall season in our zone and only a certain number of permits for each week per zone. For deer they want every single one gone it seems. I wish they’d change it to 2 buck tags per year any weapon. I’d like it to be a one buck state but it would be to much for most guys to handle so that’ll never happen.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Yeap state land is poorly managed. Too many hunters after a limited amount of bucks. Even private land is so so. Guys on next property can and will shoot as many bucks as they can. I try to limit myself to two bucks a year but I really should only shoot one. Let's face it a 100 plus inch deer around here is tough to pass because you just don't see a lot of them. I been saying this for awhile now 2 bucks per year choose your weapon.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Lol dsteet you type faster than me

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Shhh D street your gonna let everyone in our best kept secret. As far as big deer they are here but far and few between. Location location location. ..........
Sorry Bud. The secrets out. As long as they keep playing shows like Jersey Shore and Housewives of NJ I doubt many people will be lining up to come here :wink:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts