Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let me say up front just how impressed I am with this bow, which has a horrible string angle, which has a horribly wide grip, which has an over-engineered cam system, which has a absolutely ridiculous set of strings and cables, which has a seriously janky center shot, which has a......

This is the bow that should be hot garbage. All the specs make me scratch my head and wonder what Prime was thinking when they designed it. Conventional wisdom says this bow is gonna suck. I am glad to report it works and works well... for me. This may not be the case for taller shooters with longer draw lengths. I'll get to that a bit later.

So let's talk about the infamous low right tear and address that black eye up front. I understand many have had this issue. I have been able to repeat that result but it is not my "natural" shot process. Now I am not applying torque to the grip to get that result, but how I pull into the shot. Without moving my hand (grip) I can get left, right, high, or a combination of these. I can also get a perfect flight. The grip is awesome for me but when I really pull into the shot, I get a low tear. High elbow I get a low left tear, and a low right tear with a lower elbow. Now, if I have my standard shot and don't really pull super hard I get a perfect bareshaft. I think I know why and I don't think it has as much to do with the grip as it does with a high center shot and center grip. I have the cams dead perfect as well as the stops. Thing is, I believe when you have two uneven string angles (nock to top cam, nock to bottom) and pull hard, the load on the cable stops onto the cables will be uneven and cause the low tear. Im not sure if they exist, but a flat style Bowmar stop would probably clear that up. Of course, you could play with stops or timing, but I don't plan on manipulating timing or stops as mine shoots lights out. I also understand that a few Nexus bows left Prime with the limbs in the wrong location. Mine did not fortunately, and mine did not need shimming. 2 dot shims are in all four corners.

Another thing that I believe adds to the bareshaft debacle is a short brace height. As a target/3D shooter, I've seen the benefit of longer brace heights. I think with this 6.5" BH and odd center shot, it can be more critical on broadhead/bareshaft results. Is this scientific? No, I'm no engineer. I am analytical though and look at results and try and figure out how things work. I do believe there is a benefit to a high center shot though. BALANCE. I believe this may be why the bow holds so well but it comes at a cost of string angle and "may" lead to a high/low tear issue.

Now, ask me how much I actually care about bareshaft results. Well, I don't. I have great bareshaft results but as a "non-hunter" I don't put much stock into it. For me, thats a starting place but I line tune and group tune at long range and only shoot field points. Now being I have good 20 yard bareshaft results and good groups, it sounds easy for me to make such a comment but, I have had several target bows that I intentionally took out of a perfect bareshaft tune and created tears as they physically shot way better. My Hoyt Invicta shot best with a left high tear and my Prevails with a right high tear. Bowtech Reckoning 35 shoots best with a 40 yard bareshaft (thats no exaggeration). I tune for scoring results and X's and 12 rings are all that matter to me. Repeatability is all that matters.

Back to the Nexus 6... The bow just holds awesome and that is THE most important thing to me. As far as just sitting still, I will put this thing up against a Hoyt Invicta 37 SVX or Mathews TRX36, and if you have read any of my thoughts on those, this statement says a lot. The Nexus 6 is definitely top shelf when you measure hold and aiming. I currently own a Reckoning 35 as well as the Nexus 6. The Reckoning tunes better than any bow I've ever had. It is the smoothest draw of any bow I've ever had. Yeah, its my back up. The Nexus 6 holds better which means scores better. The Reckoning is a phenomenal bow by the way, it just takes more weight and balances very odd. On flat ground it is as good as any. With odd footing or heavy elevations, it is strange to say the least. The Nexus 6, so far, has been a breeze shooting in subprime conditions as it need little weight to stabilize and feels more natural to shoot. Yes, that is a very biased statement, I get it. What I'm trying to express is that on a serious decline/inclined shot, the front stabilizer doesn't need a ton of weight and is easier to maintain good form. With almost 3X as much needed front weight on the Bowtech, it is harder to settle. My core strength is, well, not super lol.

There are other really good post here how to tune the Nexus so I'm not gonna go into depth with that. Mine is set dead center with everything and shoots perfect. All dots lined up, stops hit the same time, and everything down the center. The draw is smooth and linear at 28". Now, this is my DL and I absolutely love it. I was shooting a Mathews TRX36 and it too is a phenomenal bow. Compared to one another, the Prime has a better draw as it feels lighter than its draw weight. The Mathews is stiffer but also linear and smooth. Both hold and aim great so no big difference there. Now that is at 28". At 29.5" things change. My brother had the Nexus 6 before me and his draw during the last few inches had some weird hydrolic feeling load up. He asked me to try it and I did. I definitely felt that. It wasn't horrible, but definitely strange. We changed the DL to fit me, and it wasn't there. In fact, I liked it a lot. No hump, no dump, just smooth and easy till it stops. Felt like a totally different bow. Another issue he had was the string angle was really low and for him felt like a small hunting bow. He had to dip his head to get his nose on the string. He shot it great but it felt "off". For me, being a midget, the string angle was very pleasant. If Prime made a Nexus 8 or 9, it would fit taller archers better and honestly, I would not be shocked to see that in the works for next year. So, if you are about 6 foot tall or taller, or have a longer DL, you really might be better shooting one first. What it feels like for me is not the same for a taller archer. I ended up trading my awesome TRX36 or this Nexus 6, and don't regret it. Honestly, in my opinion, they are equivalent shooters and both are absolutely monsters. Which is superior? Honestly, neither when in my DL. At 29.5" the Mathews is better.

As far as speed goes, the Nexus 6, Mathews TRX36, and Hoyt Invicta 37 SVX all at 28" hit within a foot or two FPS of each other. The Nexus and Hoyt hit IBO (or within a foot or two) and the Mathews is a little short of its IBO but is as fast as the other two in the real world. From my math, all three are between 328-330 FPS real world IBO. Now this is based on draw length measured on a draw board, not mod numbers. Mathews runs ½" long when shot off the riser so it is actually drawing 28 on a 27.5 mod. The Hoyt mod was also a little long so I manipulated cables and such to get it dead on. The Prime is pretty much dead on. All are hitting between 284-286 FPS with a 28" actual DL and 60# and 345 TAW. So, if you want a quick target bow, these all have some horse power and it is especially good for short draw archers who are probably better suited for shorter ATA target rigs.

The cam design is, well, strange. The strings and cables are even more strange. That said, it is a pretty smart concept. Not sure if it is necessary or over-engineered but it is unique and seems to work well. Having 5 points of contacts spread evenly across the cam axle seems like an excellent way to disperse pressure equally to reduce bearing load and cam lean. The quad cams and seriously wide limb presence seem to help with stability and probably adds to why the bow holds so well. Seriously, this bow holds better than most high end rigs and equivalent to the best of the best.

The grip is exceptional. No really. It is awesome and honestly, I would guess it would not be as it is so wide. Grip is subjective so what works for one sucks for another. I typically like thin grips but this grip is effortless for me and just fits and always goes to the same place with no manipulation. Why? Have no idea. It just works. When the winter comes, I will know if the grip stays warm as advertised. Living in Mississippi, it is gonna be a while before it gets cold.

Now for the pics, it will show me shooting 20 yard bareshaft results using 300 spine Victory VTAC 25s with 100 grain points and AAE MAX Pro vanes. All pics are as I described earlier just pulling harder or relaxed, high elbow and low, etc... then there is a pic of three two arrow groups (not cherry picked). In the pic, I was shooting at slightly darker spots that really don't show up well. All 6 arrows are in these spots. One group was heavy "toes up" at about 35 yards. One group is toes down at 43 yards, and one at just over 50 yards even-ish ground. Now I didn't take a pic of a 50 yard group I shot using different pressures pulling in the back wall but I should have. It was a sub 3" group which would have had (if bareshafts) different tears. It didn't seem to change POI.

You guys with experience with Prime bows feel free to comment on or correct anything you read here. I am green as it comes when dealing with PRIME bows and I may possibly misunderstand the feedback I'm getting from the Nexus 6. I've been a Hoyt guy and I know those bows inside and out. I am using what I know to dissect this strange bird.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I’ve shot hoyt majority of my archery career with a ton of different bows sprinkled in over the years. I had shot a prime Defy before and wasn’t overly impressed at the time. Last year my dealer talke me into trading him my RX3 for his black 3…. Best decision I’ve made in years. I can shoot these bows lights out compared to everything else I’ve ever owned. I still shoot hoyts good but not great. I switched my draw length up and my groups shrank considerably like ridiculously shrank at least for me I’ve never shot groups this good in my life especially at 50 and beyond. No special tuning bow at the time had a set of GAS ghost strings on it. I ordered a set of ABB platinums that should be here by Tuesday to replace them. The groups in the following order are 50,60,70 yards

Reactions: Robspartacus

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Great review. I am one of those long draw guys, and I'll echo your comments about people in my camp. I don't mind the draw, firm but consistent throughout imho. Angle is a bit tight maxed at 31.5. I find the same issue with the grip. The bow holds great, but pressure makes a difference on how it shoots moreso than others I've had. My black 9 feels narrower and very consistent.
There is definitely more chunk to the nexus grip, and I'm trying to figure out if we can get along. I haven't been shooting as much as I normally do, so not expecting my best. Yet this bugger will drop dimes at distance then out of nowhere I'll fight the grip on a shot.

Bow holds excellent like the last couple of pres I've had. My speed was slightly above Ibo so no concerns there. Just seems like I really have to focus on my bow hand/bow to be consistent. Obviously that is any bow, but some of them don't force you to think about it.

Tinkering with bareshafts I put a wad of 3 different arrows/spines/point weight into the target at twenty without issue, so I know the bow can do it's part.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After a serious sinus infection (in South Mississippi we have SarsPollen19) and not much time to finish my set up, I shot a local 3D K50 event and chased my sight tape all day. Bow shot great but just hit high all day. Well, I believe I got that worked out now. Played with stabilizer weights and swapped some stuff around. After a long session dialing in, I can say for sure this is the best aiming bow I have ever owned, almost to the point of inducing target panic. Shot after shot at 50 yards my pin was just sitting dead center. It was actually unnerving at first. Not use to that. Could be one of those "phenomenal " days, but I hope it is not an anomaly. Im really digging this monster.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Hope your feeling better. It's been crazy up here also. Still waiting on sight and stabilizers to show up for my N6. On your bottom Back stabilizer bar, I seen a cool set up this weekend. It was a Schrewd Atlas bar that mounts where the Sherpa mount is so you can put your back bar mount on that. Had to order on of those yesterday at $110. It's only money right?

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm actually selling/trading my Reckoning 35 to get another Nexus 6. Man, I never knew I would like a Prime as much as I do. Things a beast!

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Got my sight, rest, front stabilizer, waiting on back mount, installed the peep. Set the rest at factory recommendation. No shimming. Arrow level, timing spot on. First shot was bullet hole. Now have to wait on my back bar mount from Shrewd. Got the CBE Engage single pin dialed in at 20 yrd. Not really impressed with the CBE sight. It's the only negative. Is the sight. Overall it's pretty spot on from Robspartacus "s review. I would say it's different from my Black 5, but good. Kinda stacks up on the end but still very accurate.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Got my sight, rest, front stabilizer, waiting on back mount, installed the peep. Set the rest at factory recommendation. No shimming. Arrow level, timing spot on. First shot was bullet hole. Now have to wait on my back bar mount from Shrewd. Got the CBE Engage single pin dialed in at 20 yrd. Not really impressed with the CBE sight. It's the only negative. Is the sight. Overall it's pretty spot on from Robspartacus "s review. I would say it's different from my Black 5, but good. Kinda stacks up on the end but still very accurate.
Which do you like better the Black 5 or the Nexus 6? I've been debating getting the Nexus 6 for 3D or just using my Black 5.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
I haven't put enough arrows out of the N6 yet. I think so far the B5 is just a touch smoother, but definitely seems slower. I want to wait on my back bar to finish up my thought's.

Reactions: LonnyM

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Today was awful. I really struggled with elevated shots. Not sure what the problem was. Seemed I hit two yards hot on everything. String angle? Coming out of peep? Not sure but my score was abysmal. Haven't been having issues with the Hoyts and Mathews but for some reason, the Nexus just did not perform well today on shots I was 100% confident were (or should have been) 12s. Gotta a bit of work ahead to attempt to wrap my head around this. The bow shoots entirely to good and consistent for this to happen. Checked my tune and everything was fine. Scratching my head.....

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Some days, man... Yesterday I shot an IBO course and scored two fives within the first three targets. Finished at 282. Talk about a terrible day...

Today I shot an ASA course at an even 200. Could've been better, but it was a helluva lot better than yesterday.

Reflect, regroup and kick azz next time.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some days, man... Yesterday I shot an IBO course and scored two fives within the first three targets. Finished at 282. Talk about a terrible day...

Today I shot an ASA course at an even 200. Could've been better, but it was a helluva lot better than yesterday.

Reflect, regroup and kick azz next time.
I went back to the basics. Form, form, form...

I want a redo!

It had nothing to with the Nexus 6 and was all me. I just got punchy and it cost me. Went back to my hinge and focused on execution. Bow shoots phenomenally well. Chalk that up to a bad day.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I went back to the basics. Form, form, form...

I want a redo!

It had nothing to with the Nexus 6 and was all me. I just got punchy and it cost me. Went back to my hinge and focused on execution. Bow shoots phenomenally well. Chalk that up to a bad day.

Right on, man. I know a thing or two about bad days. I have em all the time. 😆

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After much practice and working specifically on my execution, I think this is my favorite bow to date. At my house shooting 20-50 plus yards, this bow is an absolute monster. Im really looking forward to my next tournament. Been shooting with a hinge and focusing on my shot. This bow just plain shoots. Surprisingly, its a hell of an Indoor spot bow. I figured it would be a great 3D bow but honestly, it smashes Vegas/Lancaster faces. Im planning on shooting some rounds and keeping score. Ive been shooting without scoring for practice but it seems my not so pure shots still catch the 10. Man I like this bow. Is it the new Invicta? We will see. So far my mind is blown.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
After much practice and working specifically on my execution, I think this is my favorite bow to date. At my house shooting 20-50 plus yards, this bow is an absolute monster. Im really looking forward to my next tournament. Been shooting with a hinge and focusing on my shot. This bow just plain shoots. Surprisingly, its a hell of an Indoor spot bow. I figured it would be a great 3D bow but honestly, it smashes Vegas/Lancaster faces. Im planning on shooting some rounds and keeping score. Ive been shooting without scoring for practice but it seems my not so pure shots still catch the 10. Man I like this bow. Is it the new Invicta? We will see. So far my mind is blown.

My experience has been very similar to yours. This Nexus 6 is the first Prime I’ve ever owned or shot and it continues to amaze me as I get more time behind it. I’ve been working on fine tuning my sight tape the last few days, and this morning confirmed that it’s dead on out to 100 yards. This morning was a rare dead calm morning here, zero wind at all. So I decided to see what bare shafts would do at longer range. I had previously tuned the bow to perfect bare shaft flight to 30 yards, but that was as far as I had shot the bare shafts and have been working on getting the sight perfect since then. To my amazement, as I moved back to 40, 50, and 60 yds, my bare shafts were still hitting perfectly with fletched arrows! I shot a few at 70 and started getting a consistent slight nock high/nock left from there, but I don’t think I will try to tune that out.

I have never shot a bow as well as I’m shooting this N6, even though I’m not crazy about the string angle and I’m slightly dipping my head forward to get a nose anchor with a nose button. Really makes me want to try a Black 9 to see if the better string angle would shoot even better for me. The bummer of it is that my Ritual 35 that I’ve loved so much now feels super weird when I shoot it. Have I ruined myself to where I’m only going to be comfortable with Prime bows now?!? I really hope not because I’ve always enjoyed trying different bows. I have an Athens Vista 35 on order that’s still probably 6 weeks out. Hope I don’t have to sell it right after I get it to buy another Prime.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My experience has been very similar to yours. This Nexus 6 is the first Prime I’ve ever owned or shot and it continues to amaze me as I get more time behind it. I’ve been working on fine tuning my sight tape the last few days, and this morning confirmed that it’s dead on out to 100 yards. This morning was a rare dead calm morning here, zero wind at all. So I decided to see what bare shafts would do at longer range. I had previously tuned the bow to perfect bare shaft flight to 30 yards, but that was as far as I had shot the bare shafts and have been working on getting the sight perfect since then. To my amazement, as I moved back to 40, 50, and 60 yds, my bare shafts were still hitting perfectly with fletched arrows! I shot a few at 70 and started getting a consistent slight nock high/nock left from there, but I don’t think I will try to tune that out.

I have never shot a bow as well as I’m shooting this N6, even though I’m not crazy about the string angle and I’m slightly dipping my head forward to get a nose anchor with a nose button. Really makes me want to try a Black 9 to see if the better string angle would shoot even better for me. The bummer of it is that my Ritual 35 that I’ve loved so much now feels super weird when I shoot it. Have I ruined myself to where I’m only going to be comfortable with Prime bows now?!? I really hope not because I’ve always enjoyed trying different bows. I have an Athens Vista 35 on order that’s still probably 6 weeks out. Hope I don’t have to sell it right after I get it to buy another Prime.
Yeah, my TRX36 feels weird now. Prime has a learning curve but once you find your groove, other bows feel strange.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
So today was a really good practice. Been shooting great and went to a tournament today and decided I wanted to try out my hinge release for known 50. Before I ever started I was talking to friends and family and said I could care less about score. Today is strictly an experiment. This course had some steep angles and being I have had zero practice on uphill and downhill shots with my hinge, today was all about learning. What I found is my bow is deadly accurate. Arrow hits behind the pin. Problem? With a hinge I find myself struggling to apply proper tension so I hit low at the break. I didn't care, but made notes. Being way down by target 14/20, I decided to break out my button to see what could be done. Im a button masher for sure because if I had used it all day I would have had a great score. Shot 4 12s out of last 6 shots. Only shot 1 12 with the hinge in 14 shots. On flat ground the hinge shoots great, especially spot shooting indoor or field targets. With elevation I absolutely suck with a hinge. Either way, I'm absolutely in love with the N6 and actually have another coming.

After the tournament, I went to a birthday party for my grand baby then went home to shoot a Lancaster face. Was a bit fatigued but managed a 294 22X (Vegas scoring) or a 316 (Lancaster scoring). Technically, it wasn't an Indoor shoot as I was outside, but you get the picture. After all this, I have total confidence i will shoot plenty 300 Vegas/ mid 320s Lancaster rounds and also some really impressive scores with the N6 in Known 50. I am a happy man!

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Blue one is perfect and shoots lights out as I've had it a minute. Got the hammered today and stuck accessories on it. Aint gonna take much to get this one perfect as this was my 20 yard bareshaft after eyeballing everything down the middle. What is odd is the blue one has 2 dot shims in all four corners and the hammered came with 1 and 3 dot shimmed right yet still has an almost perfect bareshaft tune just lining everything up by eye. Odd.....

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Like your new one. It's funny mine has the 2 dots on each corner and my Black 5 was 3 and 1. I believe it has a lot to do with who builds them at the factory. What ya doing with the TRX?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts