Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone here have any experience with these yet? I like the ideal of them, but I'm not too sure how they perform. Feed back?

·
Registered
683 Posts
I got my Primos DPS last Thursday. I read thru all the blogs I could find before ordering it. The problems I found were with SD cards and the gasket. The cheap SD cards don't seem to work. I bought two Lexar 8GB SDHC cards on sale, at a local retail store. I put in 8 Energizer Max alkaline batteries. The gasket does seem to want to fall out, after the door is closed for some time. I took a toothpick and carefully lifted up a corner and put a small dab of silicone rubber under each corner, top and sides. I wiped off the excess and let dry over night. Problem solved. I have an old apple orchard, butting up against a cedar swamp. I set it up with the enclosed strap. Having the hanger accessory would have been easier for setup. I used a rubber doorstop, wedged behind to correct the angle. Time to test: I attached midafternoon and it worked flawlessly. I caught a big Tom turkey coming up a path I cut. Toward dark it caught a big doe and two fawns eating fallen apples. It shut off at dusk and came back on at dawn. It then caught a red fox coming up the path. I retrieved the camera and viewed the results. The program works great. I have been testing it daily. Our bow, deer season starts on the 17th. I want to use it, in season, on suspected movement area's.
I found that the 5 second setting works for me. Those critters can move a lot in 5 seconds and any slower, I seem to miss them. I put a number on the each SD card, with a sharpie pen, so I know which is which. The 8GB cards I have is full after 30 hours, in the 5 second mode and no midday shutoff. This will work for me, because I have no need for long term survielance in one spot. The battery life is excellent, so far, in the warm environment. I am going to test rechargable batteries soon, just to see what happens. When it passes all my tests, it will have a place in my backpak.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'm still testing the DPS. I put 8 AA duracell rechargable batteries in the unit and it worked great, with the SD cards I have been using above. The 8 GB cards are full at about 18000 pics. The batteries are still 1/4 full, when the card is full. I've been testing the local deer reaction with a new setup. A blind, that is not brushed in. Different decoys. I put the camera next to each setup and let it take pics. This is something I didn't want to do, on my primary hunting grounds. Out season starts Saturday, when the camera goes to work in the field.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I got my Primos DPS last Thursday. I read thru all the blogs I could find before ordering it. The problems I found were with SD cards and the gasket. The cheap SD cards don't seem to work. I bought two Lexar 8GB SDHC cards on sale, at a local retail store. I put in 8 Energizer Max alkaline batteries. The gasket does seem to want to fall out, after the door is closed for some time. I took a toothpick and carefully lifted up a corner and put a small dab of silicone rubber under each corner, top and sides. I wiped off the excess and let dry over night. Problem solved. I have an old apple orchard, butting up against a cedar swamp. I set it up with the enclosed strap. Having the hanger accessory would have been easier for setup. I used a rubber doorstop, wedged behind to correct the angle. Time to test: I attached midafternoon and it worked flawlessly. I caught a big Tom turkey coming up a path I cut. Toward dark it caught a big doe and two fawns eating fallen apples. It shut off at dusk and came back on at dawn. It then caught a red fox coming up the path. I retrieved the camera and viewed the results. The program works great. I have been testing it daily. Our bow, deer season starts on the 17th. I want to use it, in season, on suspected movement area's.
I found that the 5 second setting works for me. Those critters can move a lot in 5 seconds and any slower, I seem to miss them. I put a number on the each SD card, with a sharpie pen, so I know which is which. The 8GB cards I have is full after 30 hours, in the 5 second mode and no midday shutoff. This will work for me, because I have no need for long term survielance in one spot. The battery life is excellent, so far, in the warm environment. I am going to test rechargable batteries soon, just to see what happens. When it passes all my tests, it will have a place in my backpak.
Great info! Do you know which Lexar 8GB SDHC you are using in the DPS? They make a class 4 and class 6...maybe you can post a web link?

·
Registered
683 Posts
I posted an update in the camera subforum. I use the Lexar platinumll 8GB SDHX 100x C6. I get about 18000 pics or about 7.6GB. The card lasts about 3, thirteen hour days. This will work for me, because I want it to monitor active area's, during the season. I'm retired, so I bow hunt nearly everyday. I have also tried rechargable, Duracell batteries. They work fine in my unit and are 1/4 charge left, when the 8GB card is full. They may not last for a larger GB card. I run and gun (bow), so the 8GB will work for me. I experimented it on my land, that is closed to hunting, but is an old orchard, that brings different class deer. I red flashing LED does not bother them, but I will cover with mole skin cover flap when in my hunt area. I brought down a ground blind and opened it up, with no brushing, to see what their reaction would be. The resident doe, with two fawns, stared at it, but did not discourage feeding. Deer that were not resident, but came in, from somewhere else, never gave it a second look. I removed the blind and put up a Montana doe decoy, with no scent. The resident doe kept her eye on it, but did not bolt or leave. The fawns curiousity was killing them. They had to check it out and their necks were stretched out like giraffes. The mature bucks stared at it, but came no closer than 30 yards. The fawns were withing 10 feet of it. I had the decoy next to the camera. Yesterday I put the decoy and camera back down yesterday, after a brief down time, so area could cool. I put fake spike buck horns on the decoy, so I could see reactions. Our season starts Saturday, so my experiments will cease soon. A great tool.
I hope this helps.
Good luck out there

1 - 5 of 5 Posts