Archery Talk Forum banner

Primos XP Silver spray...not impressed!

2868 Views 39 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  JerseyGTI337
So I sprayed some earth blend Primos spray on a scent wick. A group of does came out and smelled it and reacted very negatively. They sniffed and sniffed, finally raised there tails and spooked out. When I first smelled the earth blend I thought it was quite strong...nothing like the smell of the earth out in the woods, but I thought I would try it cuz all the hype.

So then I went out and bought a bottle of the regular XP blend and tried the "test". Sprayed doe urine on a cotton ball, dropped it in a cup and proceeded to spray with the XP silver spray. I could still smell the doe urine very well. What do you guys think? I've always used the Hunters Specialties Earth Spray which is much milder...guess I'll stick with that.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
I havent tried it and don't know anybody that has. You really can't believe what you see on TV or read in magazines. All that stuff is edited out the butt. You see guys spraying their clothes and doing this and that. They prolly don't even wear those clothes hunting. It's all about making the all mighty dollar. Just like scent lock for an example.

· Registered
29 Posts
home made

As a scent cover, we always filled a spray bottle with local creek water from the place we hunt, then just put a small cap full of TINKS in.

This way you have a hint of deer and some local water smell to cover my boots on the way to my stand.

· Registered
4,499 Posts
everyone is lookn for magic in a bottle and the people who make the things know that and hype the heck out of it.PROmotioning works wonders on the human mind.just look on tv at the infomercials.everyone has tried one thing or another some stuff works some doesnt.I use scent killer spray dont know if it works or not

· have bow-will travel
3,997 Posts
Silver

The silver will kill bacteria, BUT only bacteria it touches. The scent that spooks animals is a gas caused by bacteria on your skin. The silver sprayed on your clothing is in-effective at stopping the gas. Silver impregnated compression underwear worn against your skin WILL control the bacteria that produce scent thereby keeping your odor to a minimum. Buy silver underwear not spray.

· Registered
8,662 Posts
Use the best sent control there is and its free pay attention to the wind.

· Registered
40 Posts
The problem with too many products are.........that small companies that we trusted grew so large that they are not manufacturers of products to stand behind , but marketing machines that buy out products put on there labels then looking for a fast $$$$$$$ forgeting quality control and figuring that they are so large that their names will sell for them . I like to see posts good or bad on new products

· Registered
32 Posts
Had the same result 2 weeks ago!!!!! I picked up a bottle as a buddy wouldnt shut up about the stuff.....I too thought the "earth scent" smelled a little "chemicaly" and was strong. Busted by 2 deer that evening and was hunting the wind....stuff is STRONG! switched back to Hunters Specialties Earth Scent and no more issues......deer walk underneath me.

Very dissapointed.....very.

· Registered
401 Posts
I've never personally been a fan of any "earth scent" spray. I think it may smell exactly like dirt to us but to a deer that can smell tens of thousands of times better than we can.......I think we're foolish to believe that they cannot tell the difference. To me anything different creates attention.

· Registered
1,136 Posts
hmmm

I really like the No Trace spray. I've had several deer right under me and even smell my climbing sticks right after i climbed up and not spook off. I'm a believer in it.

· Registered
5,806 Posts
I'm sold on Dead Down Wind now. Last saturday, I had 3 does in front of me, and one 10 feet behind me, all at the same time, and none of them winded me...and I was on the ground! I do everything to eliminate scent before I hunt that I can, and I really think the DDW works.:)

· Registered
1,539 Posts
I never use Earth scent unless it has rained a day before I go. Think about it, what does it smell like? MUD and leaves. What do you need to make mud? WATER!!

I use unscented on everything and don't have any issues. Just thought I'd give my .02

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE

Bagger

· Registered
5,806 Posts
I never use Earth scent unless it has rained a day before I go. Think about it, what does it smell like? MUD and leaves. What do you need to make mud? WATER!!

I use unscented on everything and don't have any issues. Just thought I'd give my .02

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE

Bagger
A couple of areas I hunt are surrounded by, or in marshes, so the earth scent is good in spots like that all the time.:)

· Registered
497 Posts
A buddy seems to like the stuff, so i tried it. i wasn't impressed so i made up a batch of my homemade stuff last night. much cheaper and i think it works much better

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.