Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new ten point Pro Elite and have shot around 50-60 arrows through it and it was started to fray and unravel the string wrap over the rails. Any one have an idea why and what can I do to fix/prevent this becoming a serious issue

Thanks.
Tom

·
Registered
201 Posts
The best thing you can do to prevent your serving (string wrap) from wearing is to wax it with string wax frequently. You also shouldn't shoot it until you have your string reserved. Follow the manufacturer's recommendations on string waxing and care......very important on a compound crossbow.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Tom,
How often are you oiling the barrel? make sure you just use a drop on each side of the barel every 100 shots. If you over oil it, the serving will get soft and seperate. Once it seperates, the single stands fray because of the heat.
Do you use an Acudraw? make sure you are not over cranking it back into the trigger box. If you go too far, it forms the string into a vwery tight "W" and pulls the serving apart and once again, single strands don't live long.
Randy Wood
TenPoint Sales Manager

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
serving fray.

Can I get this repaired at my local archery shop. I have oiled the rails only once. I waxed the string as instructed and as for the acudraw I know i have pulled it too tight the first few times but soon realized that I didn't have to pull it so far back to get it locked.

thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
folks it is relatively easy to re-serve your string on your own. I did it and quite happy. All you need is a roll of nylon or dacron serving string, 10-15$ investment.

Regarding oiling the barrel - will grease work better then oil? It is more viscous and will probably stay on a bit longer, right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts