Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You would think that the company that makes the Pro Pod would have learned enough by now to incorporate rubber inserts in the jaws of this product instead of the flemsy cloth tape that is supposed to protect your limbs but comes loose and quickly wears out. I mean the unit is injection moulded plastic with a steel pivot and a couple of springs which probably costs about $1.50 to manufacture and assemble. They sell for $25.00. Is it too much to ask for them to go ahead and make a good product a great product that really protects your limbs?

Jbird

·
74,535 Posts
Dissagree

Jbird said:
You would think that the company that makes the Pro Pod would have learned enough by now to incorporate rubber inserts in the jaws of this product instead of the flemsy cloth tape that is supposed to protect your limbs but comes loose and quickly wears out. I mean the unit is injection moulded plastic with a steel pivot and a couple of springs which probably costs about $1.50 to manufacture and assemble. They sell for $25.00. Is it too much to ask for them to go ahead and make a good product a great product that really protects your limbs?

Jbird

Rubber would wear more. Your yourself could easily cut a piece of rubber and place on the product. Maybe you could take time to produce the perfect product. It been a great product that many used for years. Im not a fan of it because it does wear the limbs, but good luck trying to invent the perfect item to put on a wood limb and not marked it. I would have picked up the phone and called Larry Popa. Guys always shown me he is willing to listen to ideas. He has some great products.
DB
DB

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dan

Sorry but I disagree. I don't believe rubber of the right density would "wear the limb more". Why don't I cut the rubber and put it in myself? To stay in place the base would have to be channled to receive the insert when it is manufactured. You yourself said you don't use it because it damages your limbs. I certainly credit the company for a great idea, it's the execution that leaves a little to be desired. At $25 a copy do you think people should have to modify it to prevent limb wear after they buy it?
Jbird

·
74,535 Posts
Call Larry

Jbird said:
Sorry but I disagree. I don't believe rubber of the right density would "wear the limb more". Why don't I cut the rubber and put it in myself? To stay in place the base would have to be channled to receive the insert when it is manufactured. You yourself said you don't use it because it damages your limbs. I certainly credit the company for a great idea, it's the execution that leaves a little to be desired. At $25 a copy do you think people should have to modify it to prevent limb wear after they buy it?
Jbird

Talk to him. See what he has to say. Im not dissagreeing, just think he the one I would talk too. There is a bowstand that has rubber all the way around, it still marks the limb.
DB

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Jbird,

I've been using the ProPod for about 2 years now and when the initial green flet thingy wore out (or fell off) I just went to the drug store and bought those packs of thicker moleskin things people use in their shoes and such and cut a strip and placed it on the propod - granted it lasted a season but it was better than placing it in a bow rack where my bow would have gotten mushed! :wink:

I do agree it should be a bit cheaper in cost but I guess whoever invented it wanted to make money too! :wink:

Hope to see you and Suzy at a few shoots this year!

~Scoobs~

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Scoobs

We will probably see you at Pittsburg this year. Are you going to Darrington?
I know it is tough for you to make the NFAA Outdoors when the NAA Outdoors is the following week but hey, you need to try different things just to keep it interesting.:)
There is talk about Mechanicsburg bidding on the shoot in the near future. I sure hope they do.
Jbird

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Well how about talking to him about it instead of ***EDIT: No Text Masking. Byron (moderator)***. But I have the stuff he supplies on mine and it has been there since 2002 and hasn't messed up limbs on any of my bows.

Or use the Brite Site one. It has rubber.

·
74,535 Posts
My bow vise

Is rubber. I have to place a piece of cloth on it to keep it from marking my limb. I have tried to find a better way. Not as easy as one thinks.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Lol

I'm real happy for you and your pro pod BH. You can't tell me that it would be news to Pro Pod that a lot of people are having problems with the little strips. Sometimes it is good to bring suggestions to a public forum to get a little action. I have had my two for about three or four years and there have been no improvements to date and everyone I know has to rework theirs periodically (usually after their limbs are marred). If you are happy with the current product then good for you.:rolleyes:
Jbird

·
74,535 Posts
If its a good product

Jbird said:
I'm real happy for you and your pro pod BH. You can't tell me that if would be news to Pro Pod that a lot of people are having problems with the little strips. Sometimes it is good to bring suggestions to a public forum to get a little action. I have had my two for about three or four years and there have been no improvements to date and everyone I know has to rework theirs periodically (usually after their limbs are marred). If you are happy with the current product then good for you.:rolleyes:
Jbird
Its far better to contact the guy that makes the product. Believe me he answers the phone, one man company. This sure doesnt help his sales. You have use it for four years, apparently some thing is right about it. I honestly think moleskin is the best answer.
DB

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Product

I think the Pro Pod is the best idea since sliced bread but people have been
***EDIT: No Text Masking. Byron (moderator)*** this problem since they first came out and it woud be nice if the guy would improve the product. This isn't something I just thought up today to complain about. There have been threads about this in the past and threads about whether dipping the ends in liquid rubber would work, etc.
I'm just saying that this problem is well known and should have been addressed by now. Will I put the moleskin on and keep using mine? Yes.
Should I have to do this on a $25 piece of plastic? Not in my opinion.
Jbird

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Jbird said:
***EDIT: No Text Masking. Byron (moderator)*** this problem since they first came out and it woud be nice if the guy would improve the product. This isn't something I just thought up today to complain about. There have been threads about this in the past and threads about whether dipping the ends in liquid rubber would work, etc.
I'm just saying that this problem is well known and should have been addressed by now. Will I put the moleskin on and keep using mine? Yes.
Jbird

But just like everyone else all you are doing is ***EDIT: No Text Masking. Byron (moderator)*** moaning. Call Larry himself and talk to him about it and I bet the problem will be solved by the first ASA shoot. It doesn't matter how many people complain about it at the range, or at a shoot that he isn't at. When people see Larry all they say is how great his stuff is. Make a suggestion. When he first sold them they didn't even come with felt.

·
74,535 Posts
Its America

Jbird said:
Jbird
If Larry getting so rich, I suggest you build one and get rich as well. I have spent some time with Larry mostly on his Pro light. I personally think now you have insulted his product and his price.:mad: $25.00 dont buy much today. You think Larry hasnt given this some thought. Call him and you might be surprised at his answer.
DB

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Getting Rich?

I don't think I said that. I don't think many people are getting rich selling accessories to the archery community. What I did say was that at $25 a copy that there should be room for design improvement in five years. Sorry to have stepped on the toes of a sacred cow. The fact remains. The product damages limbs and everyone knows it. The fact that the designer is your friend doesn't really change that. By the way, the LP light is a great product and if I shot fiber optic I would own one.
Jbird

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Jay,

Too late for any of my old bows...as the Pod, sandy soil, and wind have done their job on my limbs. But on my next bow I'm either gonna put electrical tape (black limbs) or clear mylar tape (camo limbs) where the pro pod will be used. When I'm done with the bow I'll just peel the tape off and clean the residue.

The felt did nothing for me except collect sand.

·
Bowhemian
8,295 Posts
Jbird said:
I'm real happy for you and your pro pod BH. You can't tell me that it would be news to Pro Pod that a lot of people are having problems with the little strips. Sometimes it is good to bring suggestions to a public forum to get a little action. I have had my two for about three or four years and there have been no improvements to date and everyone I know has to rework theirs periodically (usually after their limbs are marred). If you are happy with the current product then good for you.:rolleyes:
Jbird
Yours is a valid complaint. You are not the first to raise this issue and this forum is the place for voicing complaints about, as well as praise for, any archery-related product.

I bought a pro-pod a few years ago. I used it until I noticed that it had marred the limbs of my bow, so I banished it to a box where it presently resides.

Here is a highly recommended alternative:

This is the Cartel Starter Stand. Lancaster has it for $15. It has removable legs and takes about 10 seconds to set up and take apart. It holds a bow securely and gently with no part of it touching the ground. And there is nothing to clip on, you just set the bow onto it and pick it up as easily as you would from a tournament rack.

There are several more sophisticated versions of this stand available, including one with an arrow holder, for up to $65, but this one does the job perfectly for me.

·
NC ASA Director
35,987 Posts
I agree Jbird.

Right place to post,

and I think he needs to upgrade his design.

Wonderful product, just needs tweaking a bit.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I have one of Pro Tuners stands. It has not left a mark on my bow to date. It doesn't fold up that great. I leave it open and make the shot with it sticking out of my back pocket. I then put it one and clamp it down. It only takes a few seconds. I leave it on until the next shot. This would be mainly for a 3D shoot.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I used tool handle dip. You can buy a can of it at most harware stores. It is used for cresent wrenches and such. I filed the slot to allow for a small build up of material and coated the tips. Works great. Even comes in a few different colors. ONce you get the can you will find other uses for it also.:wink:

·
NC ASA Director
35,987 Posts
Mr10ss said:
I used tool handle dip. You can buy a can of it at most harware stores. It is used for cresent wrenches and such. I filed the slot to allow for a small build up of material and coated the tips. Works great. Even comes in a few different colors. ONce you get the can you will find other uses for it also.:wink:
Like bow hangers and rod holders! :D :thumb:

Good idea.

I might do that to the one I stole from Pinshooter and start using it more. I don't like marring my $1200 bows.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts