Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there is a new bow that I want to get that my local pro shop is selling for 849. This includes set up and any service I may need in the future. However, I can get the same bow from an out of state pro shop for 749 which includes shipping. I would have to pay an additional $50 for my local pro shop to set it up. Would you buy at your local pro shop or have it shipped in and have them set it up and do your maintenance from then on?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I was in the same situation and asked the proshop if they wanted to move on the price. They said they couldn't and understood that I would still use them for everything else I do.

·
Live to Hunt,Hunt to Live
1,269 Posts
I support my local shop. Support them and they will support you better. They will remember that you did not buy the bow from them.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Remember that some bow companies will not warranty bows sold by mail or over the internet. For $50 bucks I would support the local shop if they support you.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
So to me it sounds like your saving $50. To me it wouldnt be worth saving that amount of money because I know the shop I use will take care of any problems that could possible arrise. Plus if the price is pretty comparable I'd rather pay someone I know and help support a local business that if people didnt support would surely not be there when I needed them. my .02

·
Registered
965 Posts
For the $50 extra bucks, I would buy it locally. Then there should be no issues or questions when you have a problem and need to send it back or get it fixed.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I think I would tell them about the other price (privately) and see if they wouldn't set it up for 800. At least give them the opportunity.

·
No Hype, Just Hunt
12,419 Posts
I go to my pro shop because we don't have many around here. Plus I really think that for the $100 that is a pretty good deal to get tuning included and any additional service needed in the future.

Personally for the $50 extra, I would go to the pro shop then you don't have to worry about the bow during shipping or anything like that.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
$50 is not a big enough savings...

talk with your proshop they may give you a discount on accessories or something if you tell them you can get it cheaper else where...

Thats what some competitors do to get the price down...i bought my bow for $50 more than a competitor but the proshop gave me a $50 credit towards arrows...

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Support the local guy.

·
Registered
217 Posts
So to me it sounds like your saving $50. To me it wouldnt be worth saving that amount of money because I know the shop I use will take care of any problems that could possible arrise. Plus if the price is pretty comparable I'd rather pay someone I know and help support a local business that if people didnt support would surely not be there when I needed them. my .02
Ditto that, especially with the local economy. If you trust the local shop, by all means the extra $50 will pay off in the long run. Of course, as suggested see if the local will at least talk about a better price.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Support your local shop. It will save you in the long run. They will remember you. They will be more willing to help you out down the road if a problem comes up.

·
Registered
594 Posts
thes pro shops do a great job and really know what they are doing. but it is a dying trade because of stores like cabelas and bass pro.

my shop matches all prices advertised and then gives free set up and maintenance.

·
Registered
12,018 Posts
I support my local shop. Support them and they will support you better. They will remember that you did not buy the bow from them.
Remember that some bow companies will not warranty bows sold by mail or over the internet. For $50 bucks I would support the local shop if they support you.

Yup... for $50 it's a no brainer. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GUYS!

If you were talking a few HUNDRED bucks it would be different.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The guys at the pro shop are real nice and were more than willing to help me decide on the bow I wanted to get, set me up let me shoot multiple bows until I determined which one felt the best. I was set on buying my bow there but when I saw the difference of $100 I thought that was such a significant difference that they should either budge a little or match. I like the idea of mentioning that I can get it cheaper elsewhere to see if I can get a credit towards something else or maybe they'll even meet me halfway. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
324 Posts
You have to support your local guy if the shop is good and you like them. When you buy it you are also paying for the service they might give you in the future too.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
always support you local shop when you can because you will not be a happy guy when there gone . I buy what I can at my local shop but when when I need to buy arrows and the ones I use are on sale for $50 a doz fletched at cabelas he understands that . and know I can still spend that extra $50 at his shop on something else . Good support to your shop will give you better customer service later and in the end you will both be happier :darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Local shop

The guys at the pro shop are real nice and were more than willing to help me decide on the bow I wanted to get, set me up let me shoot multiple bows until I determined which one felt the best. I was set on buying my bow there but.............

This is the reason other place can sell for $100 cheaper. The above mentioned service was not provided by them before the sale . There will be no setup, and no service after sale.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Buy Locally... you will need their help one day.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts