Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Arrows are our big seller. We went from bronze dealer to gold for Black Eagle in three months. Arrows are a "consumable" so you get lots of repeat business. Especially when you have a skilled custom arrow builder in house.

Worst sellers are any of the bows that the box stores carry. For example Sportsman's Warehouse about 40 miles away sells Bear and Xpedition bows for the same price we buy them at. Just can't compete. For bow brands, Mathews is definitely our top seller, with Darton a close second. Bowtech, PSE and Prime are next (we don't carry Hoyt).

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
As far as Bow sales are concerned, I only carried one brand until 2 weeks ago (my first shipment of Bears should be here today) so I'll skip over my obviously skewedbow sales numbers....

I've sold a bunch of Arrows from Arachnid Archery... Folks were seeking me out for these arrows but now I can't get anymore... (I'm guessing supply chain problems)

I technically sold more Kill'n Stix than Arachnid but I only stocked Arachnid for 4 months or so....

Tooth of the Arrow Broadheads out sold Rage by 50% but I suspect that's because I don't stock Rage (or any other mechanicals) and order them in when customers request them.

Note: I am a very small shop that I operate part time . I don't have a huge inventory so I don't really have anything that "Won't sell"....

Reactions: DeerSerialKiller

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Arrows are our big seller. We went from bronze dealer to gold for Black Eagle in three months. Arrows are a "consumable" so you get lots of repeat business. Especially when you have a skilled custom arrow builder in house.

Worst sellers are any of the bows that the box stores carry. For example Sportsman's Warehouse about 40 miles away sells Bear and Xpedition bows for the same price we buy them at. Just can't compete. For bow brands, Mathews is definitely our top seller, with Darton a close second. Bowtech, PSE and Prime are next (we don't carry Hoyt).
Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as Bow sales are concerned, I only carried one brand until 2 weeks ago (my first shipment of Bears should be here today) so I'll skip over my obviously skewedbow sales numbers....

I've sold a bunch of Arrows from Arachnid Archery... Folks were seeking me out for these arrows but now I can't get anymore... (I'm guessing supply chain problems)

I technically sold more Kill'n Stix than Arachnid but I only stocked Arachnid for 4 months or so....

Tooth of the Arrow Broadheads out sold Rage by 50% but I suspect that's because I don't stock Rage (or any other mechanicals) and order them in when customers request them.

Note: I am a very small shop that I operate part time . I don't have a huge inventory so I don't really have anything that "Won't sell"....
Thank you

·
Registered
52,356 Posts
Your asking a question only your local can answer. Things can vary widely from place to place and what the industry pushs today. What is hot today maybe an anchor tomorrow. Bows are the draw, accessories/service is where the money is. You have to know your customer base, what one shop sells good the next it is a dead horse. Stay with proven products. Don't jump on the band wagon right away on new product. That will drive a business under real fast.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your asking a question only your local can answer. Things can vary widely from place to place and what the industry pushs today. What is hot today maybe an anchor tomorrow. Bows are the draw, accessories/service is where the money is. You have to know your customer base, what one shop sells good the next it is a dead horse. Stay with proven products. Don't jump on the band wagon right away on new product. That will drive a business under real fast.
Thanks, that's why I'm doing my research.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
with Darton a close second.
You must be out near the Great Lakes because i've never heard anyone say Darton was a strong seller. Not hating because i love my Darton Maverick XT. Guess it really depend on where you live. Although their website says they've got dealers out here in WA - they DON'T. I called around and those that did, quit carrying them years ago. I had to buy mine unseen and online.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
You must be out near the Great Lakes because i've never heard anyone say Darton was a strong seller. Not hating cause i own a Darton. Guess it really depend on where you live. Although their website says they've got dealers out here - they DON'T. There's ain't a single Darton dealer in WA... I bought mine unseen and online.
Nope PNW. Washington state, Hood Canal area. Actually there are at least three Darton dealers in Western WA. O'Connell's Archery in Shelton, A3 in Pt Townsend, and Archery World in Lacey and Vancouver. We (O'Connell's) were actually the first in the area, recently, to carry them. Darton still hasn't updated their website, other than adding Archery World. They actually just picked up the brand last month. But they are a chain so probably have more "clout".

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
You must be out near the Great Lakes because i've never heard anyone say Darton was a strong seller. Not hating because i love my Darton Maverick XT. Guess it really depend on where you live. Although their website says they've got dealers out here in WA - they DON'T. I called around and those that did, quit carrying them years ago. I had to buy mine unseen and online.
My buddy just opened a shop 6 months ago... Darton is his best selling brand. He sells Darton, Prime, Quest and Diamond.

·
Registered
26,129 Posts
I live in the mitten and have not seen a Darton bow in a couple decades. Yes, I have read how the innovations and patents kept Rex afloat and also that they were sold in the not too distant past. But I kind of prefer the less known bows.....have owned an Athens, some early Primes, Xpedition, a few Obsessions and currently shoot Elite. However I have not run across any Darton bows, other than a couple '70's versions in antique shops while hanging out with my wife who is into antiques.

As to the OP's inquiry.....I would agree that "consumable" items. and accessories are where the real money is made in archery. Bows may get folks in the door, but they use up arrows, various points, fletching, BH's....but there are so many brands and designs the shop needs to narrow down options or have a pretty good response for special orders. My experience is that shops get their products from X supplier and only order "every other Thursday"......so a guy can go home and place an order online with the items at their doorstep faster.....and maybe cheaper....than most shops even place the order.....plus they want 50% down as a special order fee. No doubt it is a tough business model these days. Having a range is attractive, but requires space, employee coverage of hours and of course expensive insurance.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I think you’re a Pa guy right?
Where’s the shop that sells Darton?
Is it AJ?
I don't know who AJ is but yes, I'm a Pa guy. The shop I'm talking about is My Site

If you pop in there tell him that I sent you.... He's a great guy, a heck of tuner and competitor.

·
Registered
20,036 Posts
Thanks, not interested in a Darton, but plan on visiting you at some point to check out the Athens. They have new releases for ‘22?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts