Archery Talk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I may have missed something, but the prime factors that you begin with, A-A, brace height, draw weight, and cam timing are done with the limb bolts cranked all of the way down. It sounds like you're off on a fair amount that. If so, you got some cable/strings that will have to be twisted/untwisted.
Ok. I may have missed that part (cracked all the way down). I am new to this. Learning experience. I will crank down and remeasure tomorrow

·
Registered
837 Posts
I couldn’t find anything on the serial number. I don’t think it’s a 2001 as Nutsabolts said because Hoyt didn’t put serial numbers on their bows until 1992( they said anyway). Post pic of entire bow. I’m curious as to what it’s condition is.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Looks good for an older bow. How does it hold and shoot? Looks like a recurve grip on a hunting bow. I got an old Bear Whitetail in about a 8 out of 10 condition a guy gave me

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Looks good for an older bow. How does it hold and shoot? Looks like a recurve grip on a hunting bow. I got an old Bear Whitetail in about a 8 out of 10 condition a guy gave me
Don't know how it shoots. Way too long of DL for me. Trying to resurrect it as a back up bow for my stepson

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Don't know how it shoots. Way too long of DL for me. Trying to resurrect it as a back up bow for my stepson
Verified with Hoyt by using serial #.... It's a 2002 MT Sport

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I hate to say this but it might just be time to surrender. And just take it to a pro shop I cranked the limb bolts all the way down. I got a 7 7/8 brace height and a 36 1/8 ATA Tune charts say ATA should only be 34 5/8

Oh and checked DW ... 79.5 peak holding weight 16.6

·
(aka lug nut)
47,594 Posts
I hate to say this but it might just be time to surrender. And just take it to a pro shop I cranked the limb bolts all the way down. I got a 7 7/8 brace height and a 36 1/8 ATA Tune charts say ATA should only be 34 5/8

klukdog. You are actually close. The string is just too long. ADD 10 twists to the bowstring (the long thing with the peep sight in it). AFTER you ADD ten twists to your single cam bowstring, then measure the draw weight again. The draw weight will be less. If you don't have 70 lbs of draw weight, then, add another 10 twists to the bowstring...ONLY the bowstring. The draw weight will be lower again. Measure the draw weight again. REPEAT adding more and more and more twists to ONLY the bowstring, until you get 70 lbs draw weight. The specs you are shooting for are NOT 34-5/8 ATA. YOu have a SINGLE cam bow, so you need to look at the 2001 chart. Yeah yeah, but Hoyt says you have a 2002 bow. FINE, but the 2002 chart is not for SINGLE cam bows. The 2001 chart is for SINGLE cam bows.

·
(aka lug nut)
47,594 Posts

How do i KNOW you are close? Cuz, the 2001 specs say either 60% letoff or 75% letoff.
When the bowstring is too long on ANY bow, two things happen.

1) draw weight goes too high
2) holding weight goes too low.

So, you get 79.5 lbs draw weight, for a 70 lb bow. CHeck condition #1. DRAW weight is too high.
So, you get 16.6 lbs holding weight. Holding weight SHOULD be 24.5 lbs, for 75% letoff. Check condition #2. Holding weight is too low.

So, just ADD 10 twists to the BOWSTRING only. Leave the cable alone. Re-measure the draw weight. It will be less. If you don't get 70 lbs draw weight,
then, ADD another 10 twists to the BOWSTRING only. This is AOK, cuz on a SINGLE cam bow, the bowstring is SUPER long, in your case, the bowstring is 91.5 inches LONG.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Nuts.... Ok that sounds easy enough. However it def needs a new string....old one is fraying. I will wait till I have new string and cables

However I do have another question for you guys. Hoyts manuals are kinda vague when it comes to the cam diagrams. Can you tell me (by the pics) which module position and stop position I am in? IMG_20190906_191414.jpg
IMG_20190906_191430.jpg

·
(aka lug nut)
47,594 Posts
Nuts.... Ok that sounds easy enough. However it def needs a new string....old one is fraying. I will wait till I have new string and cables

However I do have another question for you guys. Hoyts manuals are kinda vague when it comes to the cam diagrams. Can you tell me (by the pics) which module position and stop position I am in?
View attachment 6922187
Those holes are for the draw stop peg. You have nine holes to choose from. The holes to the left of the peg (bottom picture) would give you the shorter Draw Length, cuz the cam rotates clockwise, when you pull the bowstring. So, if we call hole #1, the shortest draw length, then, you are in hole #4. Since you have BASE CAM #2, I'm gonna assume you have MODULE A-3 for a 28-inch draw length. BUT, you have the draw stop in hole #4, so the draw length will be a tiny bit LONGER, and you will have a bit more valley (LESS holding weight).

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Ok so if the tine chart says module position C-3 for a 31" DL. Does that mean the peg should be in the 3rd hole? But from which end?

·
(aka lug nut)
47,594 Posts
Ok so if the tine chart says module position C-3 for a 31" DL. Does that mean the peg should be in the 3rd hole? But from which end?
YOu are still looking at the WRONG chart. You have a single cam bow. Therefore, you want to find a chart that only have TWO columns,
a column for STRING, where the numbers are 87.5-inches long or 91.5-inches longer or 95.5-inches long, cuz SINGLE cam bows ALWAYS have a super long string.

Yeah yeah, but Hoyt says you have a 2002 bow. Fine, but the CHART that applies to YOUR bow, a SINGLE cam bow is labeled 2001.

THIS is your tune chart. Bottom half of this tune chart is for the VERSA cam, a SINGLE cam bow. How do I know this is the correct chart? Cuz, the string length values are SUPER long, and would only fit a single cam bow. So, 31-inch draw length for the Versa cam in SINGLE CAM configuration, is a Module C-5, for a Base Cam Size 3.

But, you have a Base Cam #2, so not sure why you are looking at 31-inch draw length. If you have a bow press, press the bow and only remove the single cam bowstring. Stretch the string as tight as you can (100 lbs is ideal), and see if you have a 95.5 inch single cam string or if you have a 91.5-inch single cam string. That will tell you if you have a Versa Cam in BASE CAM size #2, or if you have a Versa Cam in BASE CAM size #3.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I was asking about 31" because that's what the person I am doing this for needs. 30-31". I know that a big difference in DL but he says he is good with it

So with the #2 cam I have... The max DL would be 30" with module in position F and stop peg in hole #8.... Am I understanding that right?

·
(aka lug nut)
47,594 Posts
So, Hoyt says you have a 2002 bow, so you are just gonna use the 2002 chart.

Here is the 2002 chart. How come this chart is wrong for YOUR bow? Cuz, you have a single cam bow. How do you know I have a single cam bow? Cuz, the idler wheel up on top is perfectly round, and cuz the bowstring is super long, meaning if you use your finger and trace the bowstring, you will find that the end loop for the bowstring starts at the bottom axle, and the string goes up and around the idler wheel and goes all the way back down to the bottom axle. BUT, Hoyt says you have a 2002 bow.

That's fine. You also have only two parts to your rigging system. YOu have a single cam bowstring, and you have a buss cable (yoke cable...cable with three end loops, in a Y shape). Look closely at the 2002 chart. There are THREE columns for a hybrid cam bow, cuz the HYBRID cam bows have THREE parts to the rigging system:\

1) CONTROL cable
2) BUSS cable
3) hybrid cam bowstring (1/3 shorter than single cam bowstrings).

CBC is the code for control cable.
IYBC is the code for the buss cable (cable with three end loops...looks like a Capital Y).

A hybrid cam bow looks like this.

·
(aka lug nut)
47,594 Posts
I was asking about 31" because that's what the person I am doing this for needs. 30-31". I know that a big difference in DL but he says he is good with it

So with the #2 cam I have... The max DL would be 30" with module in position F and stop peg in hole #8.... Am I understanding that right?
Correct. Have your son shoot the bow, at the 30-inch draw length, IF you can find F modules for a #2 Versa Cam, and see how the groups are. If he really cannot find an anchor at 30-inches of draw length, go with a longer d-loop, so he can hit his desired anchor.

·
(aka lug nut)
47,594 Posts

Put the draw stop peg in the #9 hole, and you get a skosh more draw length, a tiny bit more valley (less holding weight).

41 - 60 of 112 Posts