Archery Talk Forum banner

Problem Bowtech insanity CPXL sight mount holes...

3772 Views 55 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  Dale_B1
Here are some photos of a 2014 Bowtech Insanity CPXL. I noticed yesterday when tweaking the sight leveling it in 3 axis that the housing seemed to be angled upward.

I made some measurements and by using a long straight edge came to the conclusion that it was not a sight bracket issue (MGB Ascent). Rather it seems the mounting holes are drilled off kilter.

I figured this out by backing out the sight screws part way and used a straight edge held along the screw heads. I then measured from the cam axle to the straight edge. You can see the measurements in 2 of the photos.

I bought the bow used on AT...what do you think Bowtech will do about it?

Have you ever seen this before? I didn't see anything in a Google search that make me think this is common. Am I doing something wrong??

Bow and arrow Compound bow Bow Archery
Laminate flooring Wood Hardwood Wood flooring Floor
Wood Floor Table Hardwood Rim
Wood Finger Plywood Flooring Metal
Wood Hardwood Metal
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
3,004 Posts
In the first pic I agree it looks like it's tipped upward. Can you try mounting a more simple sight on there to see how it looks? I don't quite understand how you determined for sure its the mounting holes.

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I started dismantling the sight from the front to the back to isolate the anomaly. I took off the sight housing and movable slide. This is the level sitting on the sight bracket face. You can see the limb pocket is exposed on one side and hidden on the other.

Attachments

· Registered
55,441 Posts
I highly doubt it's the mounting holes on the bow. In order to have it that far off they would have to have had one big screw up on the CNC. I'm betting the holes drilled into the sight are off or how the scope is mounted is off. If you have another sight try it and see if the same thing happens. If it is the mount holes on the riser I highly doubt Bowtech will do anything about it as your not the original owner, no warranty.

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While holding the straight edge against the socket head cap screws I've taken a measurement from the straight edge to the axles. Here are them both.
The results are repeatable and concur with the upward tilt of the entire sight.

Attachments

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FYI I mounted an HHA with the exact same upward tilt. It's not the sight unless both sights are both machined incorrectly, in the same direction.

· Registered
3,583 Posts
If you bought it used I doubt they will do anything but a good shop might get it resolved. But have never seen one that was off there machine shop is high end equipment and a cnc is not off unless the program is off so good luck.

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I cant speak to whether it's been cross threaded and re-tapped.

I would imagine risers are in jigs when machining is done. There are instance of mis-machined BT risers out there so there is the possibility of human error when setting up a jig, etc.

Bowtech only warranties the original owner?

· Registered
20,509 Posts
I cant speak to whether it's been cross threaded and re-tapped.

I would imagine risers are in jigs when machining is done. There are instance of mis-machined BT risers out there so there is the possibility of human error when setting up a jig, etc.

Bowtech only warranties the original owner?
yes bowtech only warranties the original owner, but worth a shot to ask all they can say is no.

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well that blows. I will try that's for sure. Something to consider when buying used. I hope the guy that sold this didn't realize the issue before dumping it...in his defense it took me 4 shooting sessions and adjusting the sight for 3rd axis before I really noticed it. Spent about 4 hours trying to figure what the heck was going on. I was pretty sure it was the sight but I was encouraged to keep removing parts until I found 'square'....ta daa

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.