Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to paper tune an Axe 6 @65lbs with PSE Madness 300's arrows cut @ 28". I' getting a left tear no matter how much the rest gets moved to the right or the poundage moved up. Also tried at 60 lbs with 200's arrows at same length but still the left tear.
What should I do? Any advice is welcomed

thanks

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
try shooting the stiffer arrow at 60# I have found that the axe bows shoot really hard and require a slightly stiffer arrow then you would think. We had the same problem with one we set up and a stiffer arrow fixed the problem...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Discrepancy between Easton Tuning Guide and PSE Tuning Guide, WHICH SHOULD i FOLLOW?

This is from Easton tuning Guide:
For right-handed compound
archers using mechanical releases (CR),
the left tear is common and usually indicates a weak
arrow reaction and/or clearance problem. If a high-left
tear exists, (see next tear illustration) make sure you
correct the nocking point first before proceeding further.
Mechanical Release Aid (CR) To correct:
1. Move the arrow rest to the right. Continue
to move the rest to the right in small increments
until the left tear is eliminated.
2. Make sure the bow hand is well relaxed to eliminate
excessive bow hand torque.
3. Decrease peak bow weight.
4. Choose a stiffer spine arrow.

This is from PSE Tuning Guide:
Left Tear: If the fletched end of the arrow tears the paper to the left of where the tip
penetrates. This may indicate that:
• Arrow rest is adjusted too far to the left. Adjust arrow rest to the right.
Arrow shaft is too stiff (right handed archers): Although very unlikely, it is
possible that the spine of the arrow shaft is too stiff. Using an arrow selection
chart, select an arrow with the proper spine or increase draw weight of the bow.For left- handed archers: Arrow shaft too weak.
• Arrow making contact with the cables. Adjust cable guard to achieve more
clearance.
• Inconsistent shooting form. Have your shooting form and technique checked
by a qualified archery coach.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
If it's a rt-hand bow, put about 2 twists in the lt-side yoke. I gare-un-tee this will work. Make sure you line the arrow up with the line on the riser.

·
Registered
420 Posts
If it's a rt-hand bow, put about 2 twists in the lt-side yoke. I gare-un-tee this will work. Make sure you line the arrow up with the line on the riser.
If you have a yoke system, and it looks like this bow does, then its a big option in getting rid of a L/R tear. So ditto with nccrutch! And I second the suggestion that w/h a left tear....twist up the left side of the yoke to move the tail back to the right.

....if your have a left tear...no, moving the rest to the right (right handed shooter) IS the right move...sry been there done that. If you wish to save yourself a headache, remove the vanes....they'll confuse you...they can "lie", bareshafts can't! In the end, one needs to play with the yoke and rest....you'll find the right combo w/h persistence.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts