Been helping a friend sight in his new bow. Specs of the setup are:

Bow: Hoyt CRX 35
Draw Length: 30"
Draw Weight: 70 Lbs.
Arrows: CE Maxima Blue Streak 350s
Point: 100 Gr. Field Point
Sight: Spot Hog Real Deal 5-pin
Release: Hook style trigger release on D loop

Story: He upgraded from a Mathews Ultra Max that he could stack arrows out to 40 all day long with. He's always been one of the best shots in our group and has been shooting for a long time, so I don't think form is an issue.

Problem: He is grouping OK at 40 yards. Not as well as his old bow, but not terrible. @ 20 yards it is shooting right of the target. @ 30 yards it is shooting left of the target.

Any thoughts as to what we can try to get him straightened out? Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
dmboiler

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
you might want to check to see if the sight is still level, had that happen to me on a different bow and my sight was no longer level.

·
Archery Addict
9,211 Posts
How long are his arrows? At that draw length and draw weight, the 340's might be a bit weak spined. At 29.6/71 I had to use .300 spined arrows or the Maxima Hunter 450's to spine right until I cut them (the 350's) down to 28" and added a wrap to the back. Drop the draw weight a few pounds and see if the groups improve. If so, he might need a arrow.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
i am shooting my crx 35 and 29.5 and 66lbs with a beman mfx340 at 28.5 inches and 125 up front. just finished sighting it on last night out to 70 yards, excellant groups

·
Registered
50,394 Posts
Hey Guys,

Been helping a friend sight in his new bow. Specs of the setup are:

Bow: Hoyt CRX 35
Draw Length: 30"
Draw Weight: 70 Lbs.
Arrows: CE Maxima Blue Streak 350s
Point: 100 Gr. Field Point
Sight: Spot Hog Real Deal 5-pin
Release: Hook style trigger release on D loop

Story: He upgraded from a Mathews Ultra Max that he could stack arrows out to 40 all day long with. He's always been one of the best shots in our group and has been shooting for a long time, so I don't think form is an issue.

Problem: He is grouping OK at 40 yards. Not as well as his old bow, but not terrible. @ 20 yards it is shooting right of the target. @ 30 yards it is shooting left of the target.Any thoughts as to what we can try to get him straightened out? Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
dmboiler
It has nothing to do with the bow per say. It is all him if it were the bow or the set up it would be only one way or the other it would not go opposite. I would suggest you shorten the draw a 1/2" I did it to my Hoyt and it made all the difference in the world on how it shot. I have found them to run 1/2" long from my normal range.

·
Registered
426 Posts
the color of the pins has a huge variance for how I shoot and if the pins are too close together the same deal. It's easy to get lefts and rights with a green brighter pin and a red lower pin usually shoots right for me. That's my thought.... I shot this bow tonight and liked it and it would have been a pretty good deal for it as well I might go back for it... unsure as of now

1 - 6 of 6 Posts