Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my Bengal from AT's own STEHAWK (Steves archery to Z) on 8/26 and have only put about 150-200 arrows through it. I love it... the only issue I've had is continuous peep rotation, maybe the string hasn't settled yet.

Anyway... today I noticed some funky looking wear on the serving/string at the cam near the draw mod. Take a look at these pics and tell me if this looks normal to you. I am concerned because the serving is pretty much wasted and the string appears to be fraying at this location.

I am using the F-3 mod, my draw weight is set at 58 lbs, and I have the cable guide adjusted out only enough to clear the fletching as the Martin manual shows if that makes any difference.

I'm not feeling great about shooting it at this point, and I'm concerned that if I replace the string it's going to do the same thing to the new string.

HELP.

·
Just shoot it!!!
3,178 Posts
You need a new strig. I would not shoot it as is. That string is ready to go!

·
(aka lug nut)
48,438 Posts
Loosen the limb bolts,
4 turns on the top bolt,
then 4 turns on the bottom bolt.

When you see daylight through the barrel connector,
that is the end of the limb bolt showing through the barrel connector.

When you can just see daylight through
the top barrel connector
and the
bottom barrel connector,
then the string is loose enough to roll
out of the cam groove.

Roll the string out of the cam groove.

Now, with you fingertip, feel along the entire cam groove
and feel for a sharp spot, a burr, or a nick.

If you find one,
you can take a sheet of sandpaper,
and roll it to fit in the cam groove,
and then sand the sharp spot down.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this,
then talk to Stehawk about what to do next.
Martin is famous for their customer service.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Something is not set right. It looks like the cable is riding on top of the module causing it to wear. Is your cable slide on correctly and is your cam leaning? Something is definitely not right for that to happen, especially that quickly.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
straitshot said:
to me it looks like your module has nicks in it. run a q-tip through it and see if it catches.

96 to go.

I just wiped it with my finger... that rough texture is just wax buildup, but the edge of the mod doesn't look like it was deburred very well... it's got a bit of an edge. :cry:

·
Admin~Purple Princess~
971 Posts
Send a PM to JoelC and he will get you fixed up!
No please do not shoot it with the string like that.

Include your contact info in the PM so JoelC can contact you.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doc said:
Something is not set right. It looks like the cable is riding on top of the module causing it to wear. Is your cable slide on correctly and is your cam leaning? Something is definitely not right for that to happen, especially that quickly.
Hey Doc... here are a few more pics. I'm pretty sure everything is installed correctly. Please tell me if you see anything glaringly wrong with the way I have it setup.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nuts&bolts said:
Loosen the limb bolts,
4 turns on the top bolt,
then 4 turns on the bottom bolt.

When you see daylight through the barrel connector,
that is the end of the limb bolt showing through the barrel connector.

When you can just see daylight through
the top barrel connector
and the
bottom barrel connector,
then the string is loose enough to roll
out of the cam groove.

Roll the string out of the cam groove.

Now, with you fingertip, feel along the entire cam groove
and feel for a sharp spot, a burr, or a nick.

If you find one,
you can take a sheet of sandpaper,
and roll it to fit in the cam groove,
and then sand the sharp spot down.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this,
then talk to Stehawk about what to do next.
Martin is famous for their customer service.
Ok... the cam and the mod don't exactly feel like they've been deburred very well, especially the mod. Definitely enough of a sharp edge to tear the string up. :sad:

Thanks for the detailed reply... I could deburr the parts I suppose, but my string is apparently shot.

·
(aka lug nut)
48,438 Posts
Ganderson said:
Ok... the cam and the mod don't exactly feel like they've been deburred very well, especially the mod. Definitely enough of a sharp edge to tear the string up. :sad:

Thanks for the detailed reply... I could deburr the parts I suppose, but my string is apparently shot.
I must agree. The string is not safe to shoot in its current condition.

Like Sonja said, please send a pm to JoelC
with your phone number and other contact info.

JoelC will definitely take care of you.

:D

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sonja said:
Send a PM to JoelC and he will get you fixed up!
No please do not shoot it with the string like that.

Include your contact info in the PM so JoelC can contact you.

Thanks Sonja... I'll do that.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Definately dont shoot it. I wouldnt sand the cam either if the bow is that new. It could technically void the warranty on this part. Should be a warranty concern. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Would an wound up buss at teh top giove it enough cam lean to roll the string out like that?

Looks like wear along the edge of the mod from the string rolling off the side.

Appears to be a symptom and maybe not the problem?

·
7,984 Posts
Please don't shoot it as is. I have a module I can send you, but don't have a spare string :sad:
JoelC will hook you up though I am sure.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
fasst said:
Please don't shoot it as is. I have a module I can send you, but don't have a spare string :sad:
JoelC will hook you up though I am sure.

Thanks guys... I'm definitely NOT going to shoot it until it's fixed. I'm glad I looked at it before I went out to shoot tonight.

Faast, I'm sure I can clean up the edge on the module if I need to, I just wish I noticed it before the string got torn up.

I PM'd Joel C as suggested. Hopefully he can help me figure out what's going on.

I really appreciate all of the responses... this is a great board.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Ganderson said:
Thanks guys... I'm definitely NOT going to shoot it until it's fixed. I'm glad I looked at it before I went out to shoot tonight.

Faast, I'm sure I can clean up the edge on the module if I need to, I just wish I noticed it before the string got torn up.

I PM'd Joel C as suggested. Hopefully he can help me figure out what's going on.

I really appreciate all of the responses... this is a great board.

Greg, I can only assume that at this point the limb bolts are backed out as Nuts&Bolts explained--- you've contacted JoelC as Sonja directed--- you're on the right track. I'm sure JoelC will take care of your problem but I will make you a new shooting string outa either BCY 8125 or 452X and get it shipped ASAP. Additionally, I can ship you a new F3 mod if needed. Contact me by PM and let me know what you want and I'll make it and ship it today.:wink: I want to ensure that you use emery cloth and smooth out all the edges on the cam and mod before you put the new string on. Best of all, you won't have to worry about peep rotation with one of my strings.:) Sorry about your troubles but I'm sure we can get you going again soon. Semper Fi, Steve.

·
Banned
8,373 Posts
The cable slide is definately on upside down but that may not be the problem. Have your shop give us a call today and we will swap out the cams and strings for you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts