Archery Talk Forum banner

Problem with my wifes bow. Please help!!!!

741 14
OK, i got my wifes bow yesterday (mathews Ignition) and put the sight on at home (truglo). she is pulling like 32lbs.

The problem is i cant move the sight any lower either by moving the pin/ the bracket or it will get in the way of her broadheads.

Which way do i need to move the peep sight to compensate for the low Point of Impact.

The peep is already tied in too, so now i have to undo that to move it, and i dont know how to reserve the peep in. Thats the only thing i dont know how to do, of all things gosh this make me so frustrated cause she is trying to get ready for the season.

thanks for the help
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
272 Posts
You need to move the peep up if you can't get the sight low enough. However, peep height should really be set to fit the shooter and give the desired anchor point. I think Nuts & Bolts had a pretty good thread with pics on serving in a peep. It's pretty easy to do.

~petev

· Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the peep was set for her at the shop, with her drawing the bow closing her eyes and anchoring comfortably, but with the sight not able to be lowered anymore i need to move it up to compensate for the low POI of the arrow

· Registered
431 Posts
Sounds like something may be out of "balance" so to speak. She should not have to sacrifice good form buy moving the peep to achieve a proper sighting in of elevation. (Assuming she is using a proper anchor and the DL of the bow is set correctly for her).

Is the nock point hight set correctly? Are the arrows matched to the DL and DW? Are you having problems with the top pin at close yardage or only with the lower pins further out?

· Registered
344 Posts
DON'T move her peep. It sounds like it was set correctly at the shop. I understand the problem and arrow drop is the culprit. At 32lbs there would be a significant amount of drop at 20 yards and further which would have you lowering the sight to bring up the POI.
Your going to have to try to get her to up the poundage of her bow and lighten her arrows and that might mean buying new arrows:sad:

First start with 75g broadheads like Muzzy MX-3 or Thunderheads. Then get the lightest shafts you can find within reason. You don't want to go so light that you lose penetration capability. Cabela's has Stalker Extremes in 8.4gpi but the spine may be too stiff. You'll have to do your homework on that one.

· Registered
1,045 Posts
Draw weight

We have a minimum 40# draw weight that has to be made within a 28" draw length for archery hunting equipment in Arkansas.

I have run into this problem before. I hope your local shop is competent. :darkbeer:

· Registered
504 Posts
I am not sure about Mississippi, but hear in Illinois you cannot hunt with anything less than a 40lb pull within a certain drawlength. Not sure what length. When my wife started shooting last year she was pulling about 34lbs, and within a month of shooting 3 times a week she was maxed on her bow at 43lbs. It made a huge difference in her arrow drop out to 30 yards. I really had to adjust her sight alot and it shot much faster. I have a hoyt target bow set a 53lbs and my wife wanted to shoot it. I was surprised to see her pick it up and pull it back without hesitation. I know she cannot do it for a full night of leauges, but in time I know she will. I shoot an HHA adjustable sight on my target setup, and it has like 4 different locations to mount the scope for clearance. You may just have to get a different sight. Good luck.

archery146

· Registered
4,056 Posts
try moving her anchor point but keep it in 0 to 1/8.

· Registered
452 Posts
It can not be that she is only shooting 32 lbs. There are plenty of bows in that low range.
My wife pulls only 30 lbs and is using FatBoys in 500 spine(still stiff) with 80 grn heads and can shoot out to 50 yards on the Field courses. But that is it.
Can not get 60 yards because the arrow will hit the sight.

· Registered
2,738 Posts
Definitely not the poundage! My 7 year old shoots a 22# Trykon Jr with GT Entrada shafts and 80 Gr tips and can easily see his pin for the 30 Yd targets. My bet is it is her anchor point is high as stated above. Any chance of some form pics?

· Registered
128 Posts
I would have her draw the bow to anchor point, take several pics and post them. There's a lot that can be determined by seeing her set up.

· Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, i moved her anchor point down a bit which raised her peep and that fixed everything. she shoot goldtip 35\55 with 75gr muzzys. she started at 33 pounds and is now up to about 38lbs. she is shooting good but her first arrow or to is kinda wacky then she settles in and kills the deer target for about 12 shots then she gets tired and i can tell case her shots start to wonder around the deer target so i have her quit for the day and pick it up the next day. then i also have her stretch out at the end of shooting.

she gets upset towards the end of the shooting practice session cause her shots start to wonder, and she really want to hunt this opening weekend, cause i got a 135" 8pt. passing by her stand everyday on the cuddieback camera and she wants it so bad!!!!!!! sound like me lol :wink:

She keeps saying I dont wont to mess him up by not hitting him in the right spot but i say....... :secret:Hey we have to start somewhere if we mess up we have plenty of camp members that will bust their rears to find that deer for you if it takes a week we will find it, and i said if you miss then we got more arrows and you know i can put you on another big buck within days, so calm down and just focus on what you have learned, clear your head and be comfortable and be smooth the rest will come with practice. :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.