Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My best friend just bought a 70 # tribute ~2 weeks ago and has just loved it. He has been outshooting everybody. The problem came tonight. He called me for advice and I told him I would post it to the pros.

His arrows began fishtailing (cant remember which way, think left) and he split three nocks down the center. At the same time the bow started making much more noise than usual.
His current set up is:
29" Tribute
Ultra rest pro
28 1/2" Gold tip ultralite 400, 100gr tip

I posted here because it sounded like a tuning problem to me. I told him to get a good light and check everything over for cracks etc. And if none seen to shoot a powdered arrow to see if he is getting contact etc.

What could be causing this. Could his string have stretched and caused it? Rest problem?

Funny that it just happened so abruptly to me. I recommended taking it to the pro shop but he said it was over an hour and can not until this weekend.

Any ideas????

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Have him check to see if the cable guide rod is tight.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Try a different rest. I believe that rest is a containment style drop away. It could be malfunctioning and trapping the arrow. If he is splitting nocks at the bow on release, he is probably on the verge of picking carbon out of his arm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
More than tuning

Hav'nt heard a problem like that yet but it sounds to be more than a tuning problem. expecially if it is cracking the knocks probably the rest locking the arrow down. Maybe the prongs pinching the arrow I do not have a lot of knowledge of the ultra rest though.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Sounds like something moved ..string stretched etc ..causing the nock to smack the rest .however,Tell him to look it over good ...before shooting it alot .If a limb cracked he can get hurt bad. I think bowtech/dimond had an issues with limbs breaking .may not be it at all .But, play it safe ..good luck

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice!!

Thanks for all the advice!! I will let me know.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Those rests are notorious for problems especially with the Bowtechs because of the speed and the amount of travel at the cable slide. I wouyld try a different rest just to see if it the drop away that is the problem.:wink:

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
My opinion is string stretch (creep). Check the bow specs to make sure. He's shooting 400 spine arrows which are too light in spine to start with. Then the string creeps, the drawlength gets longer, and the weight goes up, compounding the spine issue. At the same time the cam timing changes, being over rotated, which often causes more noise.

If this is what it is then the thing can be twisted up to get back in specs, but if it is the factory string then it needs to be replaced as soon as convenient, as it will just keep creeping anyway. And don't use a factory replacement (Zebra or Barracuda). Get good ones.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My opinion is string stretch also,but it is probably causing the qad rest to not drop in time or at all.It will still look like the rest is dropping away even though the arrow is actually knocking it down,this is what is causing the nocks to split.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New adept

Hi, I was knock by Bow fever a couple of months ago, I am realy please to see that site, will step in soon for some tuning.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
took to pro shop

Well, My buddy took it to the shop yesterday and they immediately found the problem. Apparently the nocking loop was pinching the crap out of the nock at full draw (maybe slipping together)or something like that?? Anyway, they tied a new one on and he was shooting bullets again.
Thanks for your help. I was worried it was the rest myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts