Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

· Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I shot a nice deer last night with the Rage 2 blade and caught the offside shoulder. I had a solid 12 inches penetration. I found the blood after a hundred yards... spotty but nice. 200 yards into it we found the arrow with the head still attached but the roll pin had come out and the blades fell out.:eek:
We did recover the deer after 4 hrs of searching last night so the head workd but why are these heads falling apart? Maybye the other Rage thread with the pics and vid of this isnt so far off..... I am not happy with the results of this. My slicks would not have caused me so much stress. I will not shoot another roll pin Rage at a deer again. Ashame,they worked flawless on my first deer. I am at the office now, I can post pics of the head if anybody doubts me later. Thanks,Dave

· The Impartial Archer
24,837 Posts
What’s with the “roll pin”……I have heard that before but haven’t seen it. Mine are the old ones I got last year so they have the screws in em’. I even went to the Rage site and there is no mention of a change there. What’s up? Glad you found the deer.

· Registered
1,622 Posts
I am trying to be open minded on this since I shoot the rages. Were you able to tell at what point the pin fell out? Did the blades stay intact and cut all the way to the opposite shoulder? If so, then the rage did it's job and I can assume that with all the bouncing around when the deer was running caused the pins to come out since the arrow was stuck in it. It is still somewhat scary to hear that these pins are coming out, even if it is after the broadhead has done its job.

· Registered
14,752 Posts
i don' use Rage heads and never will,,i like fixed...But it did its job..

IMO you can't expect a mechanical head to be used more than once anyway...
It did its job,,screw on another one!

· Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am trying to be open minded on this since I shoot the rages. Were you able to tell at what point the pin fell out? Did the blades stay intact and cut all the way to the opposite shoulder? If so, then the rage did it's job and I can assume that with all the bouncing around when the deer was running caused the pins to come out since the arrow was stuck in it. It is still somewhat scary to hear that these pins are coming out, even if it is after the broadhead has done its job.
The blades fell out inside the deer after passing through the edge of the shoulder bone. This was only an 18 yard shot and the deer made it over 500 yards. The blades are MIA. Just found the arrow with the head intact,12 inches of blood on it,but the roll pin and blades are gone. I am throwing my Rage Heads in the trash. The guys from a local club lost 5 deer last season due to mechanical failure with the 2 head Rages. I am happy with the flight,but unles all conditions are perfect,and its a perfect broadside shot, these things just dont hold up. If this had been a big buck,life would suck right now. Luckily it was just a small doe. I am sticking with my Tricks as the Rage just Failed miserbly. Dead deer yes,but the head failure caused alot of stress and time spent searching for a deer that would have dropped in sight had the blades not fallen out. I would even understand if they were broken and the pin was still in the head,but the pin was gone and the blades are missing. We even used a metal detector on the deer last night to see if they were inside, but they are MIA.
Sorry guys,my field testing of the Rage 2 blade is over... I wouldnt shoot a groundhog with these again, horrible thing they did by replacing the screw with a roll pin. I am contacting Rage today and sending all the rest back and I expect a refund for the unused heads.... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Dave

· Registered
22 Posts
The blades fell out inside the deer after passing through the edge of the shoulder bone. This was only an 18 yard shot and the deer made it over 500 yards. The blades are MIA. Just found the arrow with the head intact,12 inches of blood on it,but the roll pin and blades are gone. I am throwing my Rage Heads in the trash. The guys from a local club lost 5 deer last season due to mechanical failure with the 2 head Rages. I am happy with the flight,but unles all conditions are perfect,and its a perfect broadside shot, these things just dont hold up. If this had been a big buck,life would suck right now. Luckily it was just a small doe. I am sticking with my Tricks as the Rage just Failed miserbly. Dead deer yes,but the head failure caused alot of stress and time spent searching for a deer that would have dropped in sight had the blades not fallen out. I would even understand if they were broken and the pin was still in the head,but the pin was gone and the blades are missing. We even used a metal detector on the deer last night to see if they were inside, but they are MIA.
Sorry guys,my field testing of the Rage 2 blade is over... I wouldnt shoot a groundhog with these again, horrible thing they did by replacing the screw with a roll pin. I am contacting Rage today and sending all the rest back and I expect a refund for the unused heads.... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Dave

Hey before you throw them away I'll be glad to take them off your hands for you.

· Registered
5,776 Posts
Dave
so you know of 5 deer lost because of mech. bh failure. but still chose to use them..........:confused:

and a well placed shot with ANY bh. would have taken the deer down sooner. sounds like a BAD shot to me if she went 500 yds.....:noidea:

· Registered
1,109 Posts
This is why I don't use rages. They do work...most of the time...kinda, but they failed me in my testing (of 7 different expandables) more than any other head tested. They seem too fragile, and in most cases will certainly be a "one and done" head. The hype and advertising, as well as putting them in the hands of every pro on TV has worked for Mathews and its working for Rage. I sell a ton of em at my shop. Doesn't mean they are the best simply because everyone on TV uses em' ! Grim Reapers!

· Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so you know of 5 deer lost because of mech. bh failure. but still chose to use them..........:confused:

and a well placed shot with ANY bh. would have taken the deer down sooner. sounds like a BAD shot to me if she went 500 yds.....:noidea:
I am always into trying somthing new.... I had to try these heads..The guys are just telling me now that they lost deer,not before I tried them. The shot was not a bad shot,the blades fell out. Why is this so hard to understand. I tried to push the pin out of mine when I read the last thread about the pins and mine were tight,I felt confident using them. Now that I had an issue myself,others in my club are coming forward as well. The one guy is a State Police Det. And a member on here and he had a similar issue last year with the blades coming out. I am just explaining what happened to me personally, I dont need people to critisize my shot placement as people always do on here. The heads have problems and I wont be a part of it anymore. The pins somhow fall out. Period! This is facts,not just a mad guy bashing,I defended these heads on every thread until today..... I am in a Rage over the Rage:wink:

Be nice guys, I had a really long night and morning over this deer. The head killed the deer,so whatever. Keep using yours and hope the pin stays in,or you will experience the stress I did last night. best of luck to y`all.... Dave

· Registered
752 Posts
My buddy shot an Antelope last week through the shoulder. He got decent penetration, and the goat died pretty quick. He was a little upset when he pulled his arrow out of the goat though, one of the blades was bent really bad, and the other just shattered!!!

· Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My buddy shot an Antelope last week through the shoulder. He got decent penetration, and the goat died pretty quick. He was a little upset when he pulled his arrow out of the goat though, one of the blades was bent really bad, and the other just shattered!!!
I wish I would have found that... I found nothing. The pin and blades are completely gone.:eek: His worked. Mine barely killed... when a head fails(like blades falling out) it takes alot longer to die,gives it alot more time to get further into the thick stuff, and makes things just miserable overall. The Rage killed another little deer,fine,no argument, but it failed mechanically and thus made my life hell for hours and hours last night. I never gave up and crawled with headlamps on my knees for thousands of yards as we lost blood many times. By the time we found her,there was no blood trail,we were just following hoof prints in the dirt.
Rage will gladly refund money if they are returned with sales receipt. I will lose the cost of shipping but better then losing a buck of a lifetime.
What if this was a 250lb bruiser? I would still be crawling through other hunters areas lookin for a non existant blood trail.:wink:

Use them now knowing others and myself have learned the hard way. I am sure the ones with the screw were awesome,wonder why they changed?
Dave

· Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Theres always one in the crowd to start accusing of a bad shot. It was a head failure,the blades fell out.... I found a perfect head without the blades or roll pin... where did they go ? If they broke where is the pin? If the pin broke in the middle, where is the rest of it? The entire pin and blades are gone,no scars on the ferral,and it is not bent.. But it musta been a bad shot right:confused:
Dave

· Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just took a Rage head (2 Blade) and pushed right on the roll pin with a piece of metal and couldn't get the pin to budge??
I pre tested all mine prior to hunting after reading the thread about them recently on here... Mine were that tight too.. I am now assuming the roll pin shattered upon impact and thats why the blades are gone too... only real explanation.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
That's Scary

I have been shooting 2 blade snypers for 4-5 years and have never broken a blade or had any type of failure. I checked my 2 blade Snypers and they still have the set screw with the allen wrench head and not the "Roll Pin"
That's scary! That's really sad that Field Logic had to first jack up the price to pay for all of their RAGE advertising and then, on top of that, sacrifice quality by replacing a secure set screw with a little push pin:confused:
Suffice to say, the first time I get a Snyper or a Rage head with the roll pin, I will be sending them back. I've read 4-5 threads just like this one and it sounds like the "roll pin" is the problem with every one of them.:mad:

· Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just packed them up and am shipping them back tomorrow. I spent a little too much on them for any chance of a problem. Just filled my quiver with 7 Slick tricks.... back in the game! dont know why I was temporaily insane.. Putting Rages where Tricks belong:wink:
Dave

· Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Dave. After reading this I went and checked mine out and fortunately Ive got the screw down type. One thing I did notice was the tip, cut on contact point was screwed down crooked:confused:. Matter of fact all the tips were not aligned straight (2-packs). Not by much but just a tad...probably enough to cause poor flight though. I'm sure Rage will catch wind of these threads into consideration and correct the problem.

· Registered
316 Posts
Me To

I have shot 2 deer with Rage 2 blades. I think it's alot of smoke and mirrors! I've always see on TV! (LOL) the large enterence and exit holes. On both my deer, the enterence holes on the hide were like a 3in tear, however the enterence hole on the rib was only 3/4 in :confused: The hide tear that you see on TV does not mean that the hole in the rib is the same length. The exit holes were at least 2in though. But a pin drop blood trail on two well placed shots. I think for my two shots, the blades did not fuly deploy until they hit ribs exiting the deer. Nothing was devistated inside. And thats why there was not alot of blood.

Both of my shots were well placed, so all you nay sayers can quit bashing those who are trying to share information.

Sending them back is a good idea, but I only have one left as the first two were damaged by the pass through when they hit the ground!

Thanks for the heads up.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.