Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. Ive never had really good groups but lately I can't group arrows at all. I know its not my equipment, the problems me. sometime ill shoot 1 good group, but then cant get another one. I would post a picture up of my form,but i don't have a camera. Anyone have any advise?

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
This had a impact on my groups!!!

I noticed my grouping started to wonder a bit,it took me awhile to figure it out...i needed to take small breakes between shooting.Doing so has made things me a better archer.
If you keep shooting tired you'll form bad habbits..that is if this applies to you..:darkbeer:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Could be a lot of things but just for starters, may be your grip, to heavy of bow weight or arrow and tuning issues. A pro shop is a good place to start.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
67 Posts
try closing yours eyes and anchoring when eyes open you should be looking through peep. You can try putting a kesser button so it sets in the corner of your mouth and string on tip of nose to make sure your anchor stay consistant. Your grip should be light so you don't torque the bow i hope this helps.

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
It's nearly impossible to accurately diagnose problems like that over the internet. Everything we do with regard to form, bow fit and tuning can be the source of large and inconsistent groups.

You will get better much faster by working with a competent coach.

Add your location to your profile and someone will likely be able to recommend one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
your not the only one, i ll get a 1 1/2" group of 5 arrows at 25 yds one time and then the next group will be a 4" group. it pi##es me off. i think a lot of it is me being hard on the trigger when releasing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree with the advice given to take breaks while shooting. My wife got into shooting about two months ago and we've learned that we shoot better if we take turns shooting which gives us a 3 or 4 minute break between shooting. Shooting a bunch of arrows in a row might be a good way to build muscle strength but like others have said you may start to form bad habits and obviously your shooting suffers. I also like to remember the advice I heard from Randy Ulmer once, it was something along the lines of the first arrow you shoot is the most important because that's usually all you get while hunting. Also during 3D shoots you typically have 5 minutes or so between shots so you get plenty of breaks there too. Soooo, what I'm trying to say is there really isn't any good reason to make yourself tired when you practice. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
with out knowing what your equipment is, the best anyone can do is venture a guess. The two most common problems for archers are shooting too much draw weight, and incorrect draw legnth. The next suspects would be lack of follow through, and slapping/jerking the trigger on the release(assuming you're using one). The list goes on...as recommended, find an archery shop and have your bow tuned and get a lesson. Archery is really not that difficult once you know a few of the ins and outs...enjoy and shoot well!

·
Registered
898 Posts
try to post a picture of your form, most peoples draw length is wayyy to long and that will effect your consistancy alot. One thing ive really been keeping an eye on making sure I center my peep with the sight housing, I had shot so much that I had totally spaced that small step. When I draw, I get anchored and quickly close my left eye and make sure everything is aligned and then open it and finish my shot. Make sure your not pulling to much weight, even a half turn off your limbs can make a big difference. One of the biggest things is get out and shoot regularly, if I dont shoot for a week I can really notice my groups increasing and how much more fatigued I get, not being able to shoot as many arrows, or it takes alot longer for me to get warmed up and start shooting good. One thing I have been working on is switching from indoors 20yards to shooting longer yardages and it does take a few days,weeks,months to be able to shoot at the longer distances accurately and comfortably. Good luck

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Try blankbaling at close range with your eyes closed.See if your anticipating the shot going off and jerking your bow arm or slapping the trigger.If you are looking at your pin instead of the target it will cause problems too.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the advise. Im going to try slowing down alot and taking more breaks. I was talking to my buddy and he said I was punching the trigger bad.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Assuming your bow is timed/tuned correctly, pay close attention to the following and your shooting should improve significantly:

1. Make sure your draw length is not too long
2. shoot with both eyes open
3. get rid of your trigger release and use a hinge type back tension release
4. make sure your arrows are spined correctly and FOC is correct

·
Registered
214 Posts
Getting tired is my biggest thing. Sometimes I just want to shoot way too much. Just make sure to keep the pin on the target the whole time through the shoot and squeeze the trigger just like on a rifle.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Without photos of your from and specs on what you are shooting we are all just guessing.

Stance consistent, side on on feet spaced evenly apart.
Anchor solid or is it moving about?

Etc etc

Michael

·
Registered
688 Posts
tell us about your setup. maybe that will help us help you:
1. draw weight
2. what arrows what spine
and so on.

if you are punching . this could be bad and i can tell you it will only go down hill . if you can buy a good back tension release scott long horn, tru ball ht to name a few . there are lots of threads about back tension here . i all but gave up on shooting because of punching the release . had some growing pains with bt but now shooting the best groups ever an i've been shooting about 17 years .wish that i would have started out with a bt release.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Assuming your bow is timed/tuned correctly, pay close attention to the following and your shooting should improve significantly:

1. Make sure your draw length is not too long
2. shoot with both eyes open
3. get rid of your trigger release and use a hinge type back tension release
4. make sure your arrows are spined correctly and FOC is correct
I didn't know you was supposed to shoot with both eyes open. Why is that?

·
Registered
249 Posts
ttt

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I didn't know you was supposed to shoot with both eyes open. Why is that?
Your field of view is greatly increased which also translates into having more apparent lighting of the target and pin. The only downside is that you will get a second image of your pin off to the side. At first it's kind of distracting, but after a while, you will learn to ignore it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I shoot a 2008 martin cheetah at 27" and 57lbs
Redhead carbon supreme lite 250's
Trophy taker dropaway

Ive been trying to find a camera to take a few pictures with, but so far no luck

1 - 20 of 20 Posts