Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new SB XT about a month and 1/2 ago. I am having a heck of a time tuning it. It all started out that I could not get good groups at even 20 yards. My D-loop was long so I take it in and have a perfect D-loop tied on and bring up that I cannot get a decent group. Turns out that with a lazer my center shot was off. So, we lazer it and put it right on. When I shoot my arrow kicks out to the left, every time. So, now I am told that I have a torque issue, so I order a custom grip from Mike a Gripwerks, install it, meet with tuner, and still have the same problem. So now I am told that there is something wrong with the bow, see the Mathews dealer.

So this morning, I go see them. He sets my center shot at 13/16 off the riser and we go straight to paper. Left tare, moves the rest, gets better, moves rest again....shoots a bullet hole. So, I go back to 20 yards, shoot through the paper and have a bullet hole at 20 yards. Now I am happy! So I sight in my 20 yard pin, can now pretty much put 4 arrows in a 2 inch circle. As I am shooting I notice that sometimes I get an arrow or two that kick out....is it the target.....me? I have never had such an issue with a bow before.

Seems like if the center shot was lazered, it was good. Is all this normal with the XT or is this sound out of the ordinary. I really am having a hard time selling myself to this bow because of all this.

Am I missing something here? Help me out guys, 1 week until season and I am behind big time, if I don't get this figured out I won't even want to go hunting, fearing of a bad shot and wounding an animal.

I have heard a bit about walk back tuning, is this something I need to do? If so can someone explain?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Forget about the laser they don't work. Paper tuning is a starting point. If you want to waste a lot of time do it. Check your bows specs. A to A, brace hght, cam timing, and idler lean are the most important. Make sure you have the right spine arrow. Walk back tune ( do a search there is a ton of info). I love my XT, super shooting bow.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
cloquet said:
Forget about the laser they don't work. Paper tuning is a starting point. If you want to waste a lot of time do it. Check your bows specs. A to A, brace hght, cam timing, and idler lean are the most important. Make sure you have the right spine arrow. Walk back tune ( do a search there is a ton of info). I love my XT, super shooting bow.

Couldnt have said it better myself and also you might look into a 65% cam if you have the 80%. After we set up people on the XT we have had a few people come back with the same issues, but it was mostly because of torque.

Other than that it is an excellent bow

Josh

·
Registered
50,380 Posts
I agree also laser tuning or no matter how you do it is only a starting point, that's all no more no less. There is no magic setting. Once you have bullet holes in paper then it is totally up to you, it's no longer the bow. After all it's 90% the Robin Hood and 10% the equipment. From what your saying it sounds like you now not the bow.:wink: :) :darkbeer:

·
Registered
83 Posts
had same problem tailing left

i shoot the same bow and rest , the arrow might be hitting the rest move the trigger string down on the rest just a small amount this will drop the rest faster also you should be shooting cock feather up.i had tailing left on my arrows i moved the rest in one mark at a time untill my arrows were flying good if you move the rest too far in you will see the arrows tailing right. hope you get them flying straight good luck

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had the same problem with mine and found out it was just my hand torque and also I think my fallow thru was not what it should have been,with a little practice with that in mind I am shooting much better and could not be happier with the bow.That might not be your problem that's just what it was for me,good luck with it.

·
Registered
PRO SHOP OWNER BOWTECH MATHEWS
3,058 Posts
check to make sure your noks arent to tight found on some xts that if the noks are real tight they wount shoot a bullet hole open the nok a little and they shoot fine.

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Here's something too try, lazer tool will not work on a Mathews. I was having tuning issues also, went over to Mathews forum, and one of there tech. guys called me at home, and told me how to correct the issue's I had.
But first thing is spec the bow, Axle to axle, brace height, idle lean, cam rotation.
1) Throw the paper away
2) Set centershot at 13/16"(drop away) 3/4 fixed rest
3) Arrow over berger hole, set nock level
4) Group tune the bow

What I did was walk back tuned to find centershot, group tuned, which my BH hit the same spot as FT. The bow is a great shooting bow, just takes alittle time getting it set up. Paper tuning is just a starting point, but after all was said and done my bow does shoot bullet holes, anotheer thing is if you are using a drop away lift the arrow the last 1-1.5" any more and you might be getting contact.Just some idea's to maybe help out. Plus maybe your arrow isn't the right spine also, I'm using Carbon Express Maxima's 350's, my bows a 28" draw, set at 68lbs. arrow cut to 27" with 100 grain tips. Don't get down on the bow, once you get it shooting right, you'll hardly put it down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts