Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy recently purchased a Cuddeback NoFlash trail camera. He had it out in the woods for approximately 4 days. The one day there was heavy fog. The day he went to pick it up he laid it down on it's back, opened up the covering, and noticed there was water / dew inside of the battery chamber. When he pulled the batteries out, a couple drops of water dripped out of the chamber as well. He took it home and proceeded to hook up the camera to his computer. The camera had taken over 1,100 pictures in a matter of 4 days. He could only pull up 28 pictures before the trail cam itself would short out and shut off. All the pictures were a minute apart with no deer or animals in the pictures. The camera was actually taking a picture every minute. He's not sure if it was due to the fog movement or if the water had actually damaged the motherboard inside his camera. So, he dried out the camera and called Cuddeback. They said water should NOT have gotten in there no matter what and to send it back for a new one. Before he could do that, he had it up in New York on private land and it did the same thing. Took a picture every 2 minutes. So he's definately sending it back.

Now... My question is, has anybody else had this problem? I'm going to double check his settings when he gets back from picking up his camera in New York. But we shall see. He had over 1,800 pictures this time when he picked it up and none were of animals.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Beamen123 said:
My buddy recently purchased a Cuddeback NoFlash trail camera. He had it out in the woods for approximately 4 days. The one day there was heavy fog. The day he went to pick it up he laid it down on it's back, opened up the covering, and noticed there was water / dew inside of the battery chamber. When he pulled the batteries out, a couple drops of water dripped out of the chamber as well. He took it home and proceeded to hook up the camera to his computer. The camera had taken over 1,100 pictures in a matter of 4 days. He could only pull up 28 pictures before the trail cam itself would short out and shut off. All the pictures were a minute apart with no deer or animals in the pictures. The camera was actually taking a picture every minute. He's not sure if it was due to the fog movement or if the water had actually damaged the motherboard inside his camera. So, he dried out the camera and called Cuddeback. They said water should NOT have gotten in there no matter what and to send it back for a new one. Before he could do that, he had it up in New York on private land and it did the same thing. Took a picture every 2 minutes. So he's definately sending it back.

Now... My question is, has anybody else had this problem? I'm going to double check his settings when he gets back from picking up his camera in New York. But we shall see. He had over 1,800 pictures this time when he picked it up and none were of animals.
In a word? Yes.

Water integrity issues have been reported across board on all Cuddeback models this year. The NOFlash, Excite & Expert. This by no means indicates each and every '06 unit out there is subject to leakage/lens fogging, but there's enough (and these are just the ones reported on a public forum mind you) to warrant caution when considering a Cuddeback purchase.

http://www.chasingame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=803&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

For the record, none of my NOFlashes had water issues. Mine just didn't work -- period -- until returned to Non-Typical.

Send it in or return it.

http://www.chasingame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=803&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

·
Registered
517 Posts
I can't tell you much about the no flash camera but our group recently purchased 4 of the cuddeback excite models. These will be the last cuddebacks that we will ever purchase as all 4 do not work very well at all. I have noticed that during high humidity and during a rain that the lens window are all fogged up.The biggest problem with them however is the failure to either take a picture or record a picture. We have tried differant cards in them,we have replaced the batteries still the same results. I have a 80 dollar camera that I have more faith in than these. For almost 1200 dollars in cameras they are a big dissappointment.

Mike

·
Registered
110 Posts
cuddeback noflash

Purchased a cuddeback noflash last week. It was a major disappointment, so I brought it back for a refund. First, tried to attach trailcam to a tree and the batteries fell out. When you attach it to a tree sometimes I could see having trouble getting it pointed at the right spot. Shimed it up with some small twigs to get it pointed at the right spot. Tough to get a padlock on it while attached to a tree.... Checked it 2 days later, had 4 pics with 4 dead batteries (that were new). Put in new batteries, tried it again. 4 pictures and another set of dead batteries. I placed my old Camtrakker 35mm on same tree right above Cuddeback on the second try and it had taken 36 pics in 6 hours. Camtrakker had taken 11 pics in the same time that the Cuddeback only took 4. Well, looked at the Cuddeback pics on my computer and the quality was very poor. Couldn't take it back to the retailer fast enough. Will have to try another brand of digital I guess.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
That is sad for a $400.00 camera.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Your buddy is not the only one having problems with his No Flash. Check out the forums over at http://www.chasingame.com -- just make sure you have some time because there is a lot of material to read. Real shame what happened with the new Cuddebacks. Cuddeback used to make the best commercially available trail cams IMHO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts