Archery Talk Forum banner

Problems with DXT & Anchor site...

787 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  crazyjz
Well, I got a new DXT a few weeks ago. Like the bow, smooth, quite and a pleasure to shoot. About the same time, I discovered the AnchorSite, so decided to give it a try instead of a peep. I was having a little trouble seeing thru the peep, light, yada so so...

Well, my problem is: I group really lousy after 35 yds of so. I know I don't usually shoot deer more than 25, but it bugs me that my groups are so big out past 35.

I know part of the problem is torquing the grip, cause from practice to practice the AS seams to change, but it's not changed, my grip has changed. But, I've never had this problem before, but I've always shot longer ATA bows before too.

So, is the DXT a bit too finikey for my simi-sloppy form?? Or do I need to ditch the AS and go back to my lovin peep?? I can actually get a pretty good trade in on the DXT for a Drenalin LD, but I would like to know that would cure the problem...

Thoughts from you experts.....????
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
819 Posts
IF you're torquing with the AS, you're doing it with the peep as well. I struggled with the same problem but stuck with it. After a Summer of the AS, I am relatively torque-free, and I use neither the AS nor the peep and feel I am a much better archer for it. The AS is a great teacher.

· Registered
5,465 Posts
IF you're torquing with the AS, you're doing it with the peep as well. I struggled with the same problem but stuck with it. After a Summer of the AS, I am relatively torque-free, and I use neither the AS nor the peep and feel I am a much better archer for it. The AS is a great teacher.
+1

You would torque the bow with a peep or AS, the As is showing you that you are torquing it, believe what it is showing you and correct your form.

The main thing is having the AS setup so the dot is centered when you are in a comfortable draw position, do not move your head if it is where you want it, move the AS to be where you want it at a natural draw. I think this is what gives a lot of people problems.

· Got Archery?
3,030 Posts
I was shooting with the anchor sight and loved it. It seemed very fast sighting and had me shooting pretty good. I noticed my groups opening up at distance as well. I did some experimenting and found out that putting my peep and kisser back on the string shrunk my groups back to normal at distance. So, either stick with it or sell it and put your peep and kisser back on.

· Registered
6,141 Posts
I shoot fine with my AS at distances out to 70 yards, every bit as tight as I did with a 1/4" or 3/16" peep.

One thing for sure is the AS will make you more consistent shot to shot if it is set up properly. I say work on getting a nice, torque free, repeatable grip and then the groups should come back down.

· Registered
727 Posts
Don't be in too much of a hurry!

If you had come to my shop with your DXT equipped with a peep and we went out in the back and shot a few arrows, I would have told you that you were probably torquing your bow. If you had asked me, ok; what can I do to eliminate my tendency for torquing? I would have suggested that you install a Bow Anchor Sight.

The BAS is especially effective as a tool for developing consistant form and actually showing you when you are torquing.

I have found that a couple of twenty or thirty arrows blank baling w the BAS is helpful for learing what a torque free grip feels like.

Move up close to the target, draw the bow back and take note of your grip. Is the bow cradled properly, don't get too much of that palm muscle behind it. Get your string and hand lined up with your anchor points. When it feels right, look at your BAS, the red dot should be in the exact center of the circle. If it's not, you need to adjust the BAS.

There are a ton of articles here and elsewhere on the net to help you determine if your grip is at least close to the generally accepted methods.

I would not even consider taking my BAS off my hunting bow. It adds at least ten minutes to my hunting time during those valuable last light shooting situations.

Stick with it, it will make you a better archer and possibly a more successful hunter!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.