Archery Talk Forum banner

Problems with Nikon's Archer's Choice.

2696 Views 14 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Yamahog12
My Nikon's Archer's Choice rangefinder works when it wants to. The past two hunting mornings (sat. and today) the rangefinders would range doe's at 4.3 or 5 yds. but i know they were not that close. I would have just stabbed them with a knife at that distance. :wink: But when i get home they work. I don't get it. Its driving me crazy. :wacko::der: Nikon said just send them to them and they will take a look at them. It just sucks thats all. :sad:

Has anyone else had this problem?
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
3,315 Posts
Almost ANY rangefinder will range the closest thing it encounters...you must have had a branch ot fly out at 4.3 yards for it to catch on...happens all the time, only the high end rangefinders will have specific targeting capabilities.

· Registered
8,250 Posts
that is why i buy everything from cabelas. they take everything back no questions asked. you don't have to deal with the manufacture at all. keep your receipt for full money return. if you don't have the receipt they give you in store credit. no hassles.

· Registered
5,668 Posts
My Nikon's Archer's Choice rangefinder works when it wants to. The past two hunting mornings (sat. and today) the rangefinders would range doe's at 4.3 or 5 yds. but i know they were not that close. I would have just stabbed them with a knife at that distance. :wink: But when i get home they work. I don't get it. Its driving me crazy. :wacko::der: Nikon said just send them to them and they will take a look at them. It just sucks thats all. :sad:

Has anyone else had this problem?
Yes! I just posted a new thread about exactly the same thing. If this is what it does, then it is worthless to me!

· Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yeah i thought i was ranging the tree in front of my stand but i got back to the truck this morning and it still did it.

I just got off the phone with Cabelas they said they would take it back for an exchange BUT their out of stock.

· Thunder Chicken Assassin
1,675 Posts
mine does the same thing. Goin to contact Nikon abou tit.

· Bowhunter
5,278 Posts
Mine did the same thing to me on Saturday - told me ranges of 14-18 yards were 4-6. It was a little rainy and very humid that day. This morning it worked perfectly. I'll wait a bit before complaining.

· Registered
5,668 Posts
Mine did the same thing to me on Saturday - told me ranges of 14-18 yards were 4-6. It was a little rainy and very humid that day. This morning it worked perfectly. I'll wait a bit before complaining.
When I was out there yesterday it was a very light mist and it would not work right, but I took it outside tonight and tried it in the dark (floodlight was on so I could see the object I was aiming at). With one exception, it worked fine and there is a fine mist in the air. I wish I had done more research on them because if I knew they only work under perfect conditions, or only sometimes, I wouldn't have bought it.

The troubleshooting guide says these symptoms may be due to a low battery, but I have barely used the darn thing so if that's the problem it means it came with a less than fresh battery.

· NBA Clan Original
2,261 Posts
Go to Cabelas website and read thr reviews on that range finder. Several negatives with several differant problems. Kept me from buying one. I like that about Cabelas. They seem to post every review. Good or bad.

· Registered
5,668 Posts
Go to Cabelas website and read thr reviews on that range finder. Several negatives with several differant problems. Kept me from buying one. I like that about Cabelas. They seem to post every review. Good or bad.
This morning it worked fine. I wish I had read the reviews first, though!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.