Archery Talk Forum banner

Problems with Peephight !

537 Views 8 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  grizzlyplumber
Hello

I have a huge Problem with my Peephight. I really don´t know whats going on there. I have a new Bow (Hoyt Vantage Elite) and there I try´d a lot with DL, Anchor and so on until I am comfortable with it.

Now I have the Problem, that when I sight in - for Example at 20 Yards everything is OK. Then when I go to about 75 Yard it´s nearly not possible that I see my Scope through the Peep. When I go to 98 Yard there is now chance to see the Scope. I have to bend my Head up up up to see the Scope. The more the Distance increases the more I have to bend my Head up. Is there not a Guideline where to set the Peep, that it is at all Distances OK ?

I really don´t know how I should adjust the Peephight, that I am with ALL Distances comfortable.

Do you have any Suggestions and Advise how I could solve the Problem ?

Thanks !
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· A.K.A. Big JW
2,745 Posts
I was kind of wondering the same thing you are asking. A couple weeks ago I was shooting at some longer ranges and noticed with the scope set low I was not able to anchor where I was comfortable and still line the scope up through the peep. I normally shoot a pin sight for 3D but like to play around with the scope just for practicing at longer distances.

· Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I keep my Anchor at 20 Yards, but at far Distances I can do what I want - I don´t see the scope. When I take a line from my eye through the Peep to the Scope, then there would be just a knick at the peep, and the more the distances decrease then this "knick" always comes more to a line. I don´t understand what I made wrong there.

Maybe I have to move my Peep to a high where I am more comfortable at farer Distances and live with it, that it´s not so comfortable at near Distances - I don´t know.

· Registered
844 Posts
You need to set your peep height according to the game you're playing. For 3D open class I set my peep for 40 yards, becasue that's about the average distance. This will make the peep a little off for short shots. For Field Archery they often set the peep at 60 yards, becasue they shoot out to 80 yards.

· Registered
6,681 Posts
Exactly what WilliamsTD said. And if you're shooting more FITA stuff out to 90m (assuming that's why you were mentioning shooting out to 98yd) you may even want to consider setting your peep height so it fits perfectly at closer to 70yd or 70m. This allows you to keep a more solid anchor on the longer distances where maintaining a decent anchor is more critical, imo. Conversely you're going to end up feeling like you're scrunched up a little on closer shots, but at those distances as long as you keep the scope centered in the peep it shouldn't have an adverse impact on your groups/score.

>>------->

· Registered
1,064 Posts
Bending at the waist will not work with a peep sight, you actually pivot at you anchor point and change the angle of the bow to view any pin, other than the pin you are sighted-in with. You may want to try the Anchor Sight (it will allow you to bend at the waist) making for better form. Your upper body does not have to change at all, leaving your shoulders and arms in same position for any pin. Plus the many other advantages the AS will give you and it is winning 3d tournaments.

· Registered
5,479 Posts
CHPro and Williams nailed it!

I started shooting FITA last summer and had the same problem. I couldn't see through my scope at longer yardages and it was affecting my long distance game.

I asked around and got those answers.

Get your peep where it needs to be for the longer distance and set it there. You'll feel a little scrunched at shorter distances but its better than being stretched out at the long range stuff.

Good luck with it! Shooting distance is my favorite part of archery!

· I am the Tin Man!
2,985 Posts
Maybe try a bigger peep? I have drilled some of mine out in the past to make them easier to see through.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.