Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Slickhead Slayer
5,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always preferred a glove but with them always stretching out I'm really wanting to switch to a tab. I have a black widow/wilson bros split finger tab that I've been playing with the last month. I pick it up with plans of sticking with it for a month till I get use to it until I start shooting it. I'm not sure what I'm doing different but every time I release I hit my nose. Then the next shot I totally blow for fear of hitting my nose again. Is it possible I'm drawing farther with the tab or is this from turning my head?. I shoot split and anchor with my middle finger in corner of mouth. If anyone could help and provide photos of what I might be doing I'd appreciate it.

·
Level 4-NTS coach
1,340 Posts
Try not to lay your head over onto the string at full draw. Hold your head in position and pull the sting to your face, don't "go to get it" with your head.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i have a similar problem when using a tab, i slap my face, i tried and tried but never feels right to me, so i use a glove, feels nice and cozy on my hand, rich pyle

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,248 Posts
Sometimes it is the tab that is hitting your nose. You need to size your tab correctly. Many folks size them too large because they feel that the string should cover their fingers. You size the tab for width and not length. It should be the width of your three fingers. When I hold my hand flat my tab goes to my first knuckle counting from my finger tip. If you tab is long, all that extra leather will slap your face when released. I know, it used to happen to me before I learned to properly size my tabs. I have gone from XL to M. Check this out first before you start messing with how you shoot. Your form should not change when going from a glove to tab.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Many archers benefit from shooting a more pliable, softer tab that will conform more to your face at anchor. Your style is one of a high hunting style anchor. I shoot very similar to you and I have tried many different tabs and gloves over the years. The glove anchor will conform to your face. The tab you are shooting others have used with success and in my target days with a lower anchor it was the tab to shoot. I believe you would benefit from trying a tab that is more pliable, rather than contort and change your form that is already there from shooting a glove for so long.

Here is a suggestion for a tab to try.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/neet-pinch-free-finger-tab.html

The calf hair ones are very slick and pliable.

I shot for years with a Super archery mitt, a hybrid tab and glove.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/super+archery+mitt+shooting+tab_i4410X_baseitem.html

For a couple years now, I shoot only with a glove and accept that I am a glove shooter. I use the Black Widow Shooting Gloves and just replace them when needed. I buy them small and let them stretch to fit.

https://blackwidowbows.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=114_120&product_id=457

All the Best to you in the journey,

Jeff

·
Slickhead Slayer
5,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im shooting a medium-sized tab and its not to long, its actually sized the way you describe yours.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
N,

I'll add some experience I've had with a tab and "face slapping" in the event it might apply.

My draw finger configuration on a tab is different than on a glove due to the material's bending. I get a better hook with a tab, and use one exclusively. You can often get the draw hand closer into the face with a tab, either due to the lack of finger stall offset, or due to the nature of the finger hook's bend.

When I get the occasional face-slap, I have often collapsed the shot at the loose for one of three reasons:

I may have let the basic draw arm alignment creep forward at anchor by not maintaining the integrity of the shoulder and back muscles' rearwards pull on the string, allowing the shot to take place from a more frontal position then I thought it was in ... slap.

I may actually have not achieved a proper, rearward pull and alignment in the first place, but rather be holding at anchor in an already-collapsed alignment, and upon the loose ... slap.

I may have let the draw finger angles open a bit too wide, therefore allowing the string to "slide" off the tips, rather than be released from a secure hook. This seems to allow the string to release closer to, and more in front, of my anchor ... slap.

These may not be your case, but I present them for perusal. My tab is not trimmed as short as some other folks recommend, yet upon a given slap on my face, I can almost always note a form issue that caused it.

My tab-slaps very much remind me of a stern, little-red-schoolhouse schoolmarm (with her hair tied in a severe bun, of course!) who'll slap the knuckles of my face with her tab-ruler when I'm not paying attention.

"Yes, ma'am. I'm sorry ma'am. It won't happen again, ma'am."

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
PaulSchaferform_zpsc49b35e6.jpg

Here is photo of an archer with a high anchor, split finger. Notice how the fingers are tight against the face and how the glove allows for this and conforms to the facial structure high on the cheek. Not sure how high your anchor is, but in my experience the higher the anchor the more difficult it is to shoot with a rigid tab. You will see guys that shoot high anchors in competition with their noses with band-aids or tape as protection from hitting their nose.

·
Registered
455 Posts
You could just try anchoring with the INDEX finger in the corner of the mouth (lower anchor). I did, and no more nose slapping. Or do as THIN MAN suggested and allow it to scold you.

·
Slickhead Slayer
5,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered an american leathers glove to try also. Not sure I want to change my form completely just yet. Plus it gave me an exuse to buy something 😄

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Had no problem going from glove to tab. The fat glove just didn't cut it. The five tabs I have are all different, but they all work. Some leather, some hair, but work. Just needed to cut/trim to make them work. Shooting three under, I can use my split finger tabs or the three under with no problem--when I've hit my nose it's because I've leaned in. Once on tabs, scores improved. Smile.

·
Premium Member
11,443 Posts
I have a basket full of all sorts of tabs and always wore and swore by them...and normally?...I probably still would as I knew they were a bit more forcefully consistent and puts the "clean" in release....however...times and things change...and what changed for me was the loss of my teeth...complicated by the fact that I refuse to wear dentures! LOL!...and using a tab (with my toothless sunken cheek( just doesn't work as well for me any longer as well as a glove does...bottom line?...I get a far more comfortable and consistent (well bedded) facial register with a glove these days and?...

Ok thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered an american leathers glove to try also. Not sure I want to change my form completely just yet. Plus it gave me an exuse to buy something ��
You're going to love it...I've also been through quite a few gloves but my glove buying spree ended when I pulled my current American Leathers Big Shot Elk Glove out of the bag...4 years ago...and I'm seriously considering ordering a new "Full Shot" glove...matter fact?...thanks for reminding me...mines getting old! ;)

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Not sure if it helps. I had a similar problem with my tab hitting the corner of my lip after every shot. Ended up trimming it down a little and problem went away.

I also read you get a cleaner release with tabs, so I really tried to like it. In the end, gloves just felt more comfortable for me and went back.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I made the switch and it happened to me at first. It seems counter intuitive but, with a tab the string is actually closer to your face. I just started using a lighter anchor (not pressing so hard) worked well. Another advantage is that you can easily build tabs yourself (I am to cheap to spend 50 bucks on a glove) and they work easily with winter gloves if you bow hunt our shoot outside when it gets cold.

·
Premium Member
11,443 Posts
Not sure if it helps. I had a similar problem with my tab hitting the corner of my lip after every shot. Ended up trimming it down a little and problem went away.

I also read you get a cleaner release with tabs, so I really tried to like it. In the end, gloves just felt more comfortable for me and went back.
Don't feel too inferior for that choice Stub as it's a very personal one...and truth be known of what I believe?...is this....

With me coming from a strong background as a "compound/fingers" competitor?....(back when there was still enough of us to compete against)...the differences in a consistently clean release between gloves and tabs was well known and accepted by the upper ranked shooters with a strong (nearly undisputed) preference towards tabs with only the less informed and die-hard glove types choosing such...but the thing here is this...we were shooting bows with a typical hold weight in the 20-30# range...and if I were shooting a single string bow of less than 35#s?...I'd most likely still prefer a tab...but I believe/feel that once you tackle hold weights of 40#s (or so) and above?...there just isn't that much of a difference to fret about because there's plenty of string tension going on to slap a glove out of the way as much as a tab and becomes more of a "Briefs Or Boxers?" sort of personal choice.

Now I'm sure many of the Oly type shooters would disagree and counter with...

"Well why do all the top level target shooters and Olympians use a tab and NEVER a glove"?

and I would counter with...

"Well most of us aren't shooting ultra-light bows nor are we trying to best thousands of other international competitors at 90meters and neither are we holding under our chins and we're pulling waaaay past the front of our noses."

I know this....I think I tried to "stalk hunt" long ago about one time with a tab and promised myself..."never again"...every time I went to grab a small limb of under brush to move out of the way and slip through stuff the tab had this magical way of always getting in the way...and briar patches?....forgeddaboudit! :laugh:

But?..to each their own...briefs or boxers? LOL! L8R, Bill. ;)

·
Banned
14,021 Posts
just bought a tab myself, this will be my first, this thread came at a perfect time, great info here this will help me alot, you guys are awesome

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I think bow weight has something to do with the preference. Many of the top bowhunters shot gloves, and most of the top competitors in archery shoot tabs.

·
Registered
12,057 Posts
It took me fifty years to find a tab that I liked as well as a glove. Wouldn't you know it but it was shortly discontinued, at least in the variety I liked. The Cavalier Elite Cordovan finally got me to switch, sure enough they dropped the cordovan and replaced it with "super leather" which in my opinion is a definite down grade. Fortunately with a little searching cordovan pieces are still available.

I've always found tabs to be a pain for hunting but have to admit I shoot better with the Cavalier than any glove I've ever had. It's constantly in the way, especially with my binoculars, but with this tab I think it's worth it. If I did more stalking I might reconsider but I always hunt from a treestand or blind.

The American Leathers glove is by far the best made I have, you made a good choice.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts