Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can we get the secret out???? Who will help get it out? Out of the MILLIONS of people in the US, only 6,500 belong to the NAA and maybe only twice that to the NFAA. Here are my solutions. Post your ideas here and maybe someone will see it and actually get it done.

1.) NEWSPAPER- If you have a major tournament or anything coming up, try your best to get every newspaper near you to come!!!! It is VERY unlikely they will come to you!!!

A thing I see that bothers me is when you see archery in the newspaper and people say "yea! we got some publicity!" SOME is the answer. To get FULL publicity have the reporter add something important in the article that is almost ALWAYS MISSING. People see the article and HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO START. Get the phone number, address, or whatever of any local clubs into the paper! I was asked dozens of times while watching the world championships how to get started. Many people know archery exists but have no clue where to start or the tournaments they can shoot in or places they can go.

2.) INTERNET- Someone needs to get a site together listing all archery clubs in the country where you can go and get a lesson. punch in your zip code and the site will give you all clubs within a certain mileage of your zip code. then you click on the shop and there it will gove cost of lessons, equipment rental, etc. If I can get someone to help with the cost of a site like this I will learn how to do it and get it done myself.

3.) TELEVISION- costs major bucks to get coverage of a tournament, but some commercials should be feasible. (not commercials on equipment but commercials on how to begin archery.

4.) VIDEO- I had an idea a while ago to make a video on the beginning archery with things like the comadary, how anyone can do it weither you are fat skinny, short, tall, or handicapped and give it out to schools across the country but I could not find anyone to film it.

Any other ideas?????????

ONE MORE THING, THERE ARE OVER 6,000 PEOPLE ON THIS SITE. I AM SURE SOMEBODY HAS CONNECTIONS TO DO SOMETHING. WE CAN NOT JUST SIT HERE ON OUT A$$ES AND NOT GET ANY IDEAS GOING. EVERYONE IS ALL TALK AND NO GAME. WE CAN'T WAIT AND WAIT TILL SOMEONE ELSE DOES IT. NOBODY IS GOING TO SO LETS GET GOING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Brad,

Good ideas and a good place to start. Newspaper is a great starting point, and in my town we have actually had archery in the newspaper 4 times this year. :) One article on our youth archery program. It was great! The interenet website is a great idea. This could be sometihing easily referenced in newspaper, commercials, or TV ads. IMHO TV is what we need. I don't know how or who is going to come up with the money.....but we need to see archery on TV and I'm not talking at 2am on the OLN channel. I agree someone just needs to get the ball rolling. I am trying to do my part see below :D >>>---------->

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
gambling

an easy way to get non-archer audience to get involved. needs some amendments to the rule to make result more unpredictable. then media, sponsor will come to you. my 0.2

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm, not a bad idea iron butt. Lets all place bets on who will win place and show at vegas!!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
the system of soccer gambling can be copied. we can start it here considering the big number of users. but I don't know how to get people paid if they win the bets. :D A creditable dealer is very important. And we will be lucky if the dealer is also an archer who wants to promote archery.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Gambling?!?!?!?!?

You're joking, right?

Sigh, that's not the right way to go.

Get some professional sports promotion groups/companes in here and give them permission to fleece the sport for whatever they can get out of it for the next few years. This will get the sport jump started in the public eye, then ramp down the percentage the sports promotion companies get so that the professional organizations can grow as well. Work with them so that they understand that Archery is a sport with a long tradition that can be as addictive and lucrative as golf. (I see many parallels between golf equipment buying habits and archery equipment buying habits.)

Understand that they are gong to rape the sport but in exchange you'll get events with top prize of a 100K rather than 10 and top pros will be house hold names. People will actually be able to make a good living doing nothing but shooting tournaments. Once people start making money in the sport people will flock to it on droves. Manufacturers will not be able to meet demand rather than fighting with each other over miniscule markets.

I find it sad that the number one archer in the world has a day job. :(

D

·
0 Posts
look...the DUO...

...could do this in a little less than a heartbeat:) ...but first we need a little $$$ to prime the pump:cool: ...

...send all donations to www.silercitychevy.com ...to the attention of the DUO FUND...

...you want archery to ROCK...who better than a couple of guys who know about ROCKing:p ...

>>>---DD & OBT--->;)

·
Registered
498 Posts
The Archery in Schools Program (started in Ky.) would be a perfect place to show the videos Brad. We just need to make them up-beat, visual and fun!

This is grassroots at its best. Kids love Archery in camp....Well lets make room in the Schools! Some Scools will not participate, but if we just get a few or several, from each State, it has to grow right?

Connect the Schools with local clubs and ranges, then connect with Colleges,NFAA, FITA, IBO, ASA....and have the path to become Pro clearly defined. (Note: The Pro Cards Des. mentioned and the $2 increase in dues is a great idea.)Look at what Texas A&M's doing... What a program to model eh? Get the Universities involved.

If we involve people that truely want our sport to grow, like BowProPat, Jimmy, DM, Brad, DB, DD, OBT, ABC, DVD....ect. (this board is full of em) you know who they are....Some from all regions of the World. (why not?) It can get huge! Its time for some changes for sure.

Yes, lets Involve everyone from the media, newspapers, the net, commercials, PTA mom's and Manufacturers.

DDeer is right! Who else better to sell the public on something than a car salesman? For the commercials we can start by sending donations to www.silercitychevy.com....lol....They could sell "Real Archery" and Trucks! We will "gladly" donate to such a cause.

As far as the "x" generation.....By chance, have you looked at David Barnes lately.....or How the Korean teams look on the line?
They make Olympic Fita look like an X Games Event for sure! IMO

Bob

·
Registered
498 Posts
Shoot Brad...lol....Ive got a camera!

Where's the Graphics pros.....What is an acceptable format for video? BETA, VHS, Hi8, Digital....ect?

Lots of us have cameras....Some go to shoots or somewhere they can get good footage. If we knew what kind of video was best or easiest to edit together, those who do could send in footage.

Just send an editor the tape or CD with recommended ideas or background music? Just an idea. I am not a very good editor but It would be fun to video! :D

Bob

·
Registered
392 Posts
Your correct,6000,and......

the example of interested and people who are willing to do their part is on the post PINWHEEL has about the tournament for 2004 he is asking for just some support. by a showing of hands, so the powers to be (whom ?) will see how strong and popular ARCHERY IS,and just maybe we'll have a beginning in the media,papers,why not SPORTS ILLISTRATE even.Watch and see how many "veiwers" check this out,and how many will take the time to "reply".Don't ever give up this quest,or children and their children will appreciate it....Skip

·
Urban Archery
3,814 Posts
Here is what we have been doing at my club where we have had record membership the last year.

Club Website
Website that is maintained after every club event. It changes almost weekly, includes joining information.

Newspaper
We were putting in reports from shoots with photos of different club members (not just the winner). We list scores and points of interest and write it like it's a football game news article. I do not spend 90% of the articles explaining the scoring system or how a bow works. It doesn't matter. When you read about the Raiders v 49ers game do you get told that the field is 100 tards long with 2 end zones etc etc. Nope. That kind of information makes the articles boring, the reader will figure it out.
Jazz up the result. "Jones and Smith were seperated by less than one arrow score going into the final range. They traded arrow for arrow untill Jones pulled away with just 6 arrows remaining".
Finally build up names. I went into a local Trophy store to get a juniors name engraved and the store guy recognised it from the paper.

Results
Get results on the web the day the shoot is finished. We get 2-4 times the entries to our shoots now because the archers know that by the time they get home the results are on the website.

www.dva.asn.au
comps.dva.asn.au

We have other things in place too, but just these minor things have helped i a big way. One thing I want to do is run a shoot with live score updates, so if you can not attend you can log on and go "wow, Jones just shota 58 at 90m!" and that kind of stuff. Works in NFL and NBA, yet it takes me 6 hours to find out the scores from the World Target.
:rolleyes:

In regards to Videos. No I think to get people in you need to make the sport look exciting. You can portray the sport as a family sport by showing something like "And Team Wilde just put in a 89 to take the lead. Team Wilde consists of 58* year old Dee Wilde and his 2 sons, Reo and Logan"
In one hit you have shown that archery is a family sport and age is no limit while keeping it interesting.
To get people in we must show the sport as exciting and desirable. We must get across the feelings and emotions we feel while we compete. Otherwise we look stale and boring.

*Sorry Dee, not sure your exact age

D

·
0 Posts
give us a "crew"...

Marcus said:

To get people in we must show the sport as exciting and desirable. We must get across the feelings and emotions we feel while we compete. Otherwise we look stale and boring.

...Marcus...ASA is trying to do just as you suggest...they are taking the LEAD in this endevor...this year they have come out with "almost" real time scoring...NO ONE has done it BETTER than the ASA...ESPN TV crews are known to be found on the ranges taking shots of the shooters...and generally "local" crews get the "scoop" as well...Local newspapers have reporters around and ask many questions of everyone involved...

...as for getting our emotions "out" to others...it's what these "message boards" allow us to do(yours included)...however not everyone reads them just yet!!...

...newspapers, TV...I agree...and just recently(before the Classic) our Family was interviewed and was put in a "spot" on the local NBC affilate...Channel 16 WNDU out of South Bend Indiana...the MOST viewed TV station in out area...we have also been in 2 of the "local" newspapers...

...may not be much but we "stressed" the "enjoyment", "competition"and "Family participation" that all can have if they give it a try!!...

...it will come as we would all like it to be...but FIRST you need someone that knows how to PROMOTE...and collect the CA$H from those that wish to "donate" it...

...if you want people "try archery" and to continue after they "try archery"...the clubs, ranges and shops ALL need to be TOP SHELF...no shot out targets or bales...nice places to hang bows...well organized leagues an events...clean well lite shops and knowledgeable workers who don't "bad mouth" the equipment you may be using!!!!!!!!...

...the Archery program for the School systems seems to be a GREAT start...and I hope it continues...and when the numbers start to show from this effort...is the rest of Archery's infrastructure ready for them???...

...from what I see...not yet!!...

...there is MUCH work to be done...by MANY people...

...you give me and OBT a crew and we'll get the public interested!!...and we'll need a pretty good size "expense account" too!!:p ...

>>>---more POWER with the DUO--->;) ...are you ready for it??...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts