Archery Talk Forum banner

proper aiming with a recurve!!

3864 43
bought a recurve this past friday, this is my first time shooting one and im having trouble staying consistant... i feel as im excuting the shot with the same technique but with different results each time my fingers release, ive tried aiming with the arrow while shootin during the draw back, and aiming with the arrow before then drawing back hitting my anchor and releasing. but im lost!!! its a pse hertiage series kudu @ 28" @ 50lbs

any info would be appreciated
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
22,128 Posts
Rr -

There is no "correct way" to aim a stickbow, but there are a number of options.

If you're just getting started, stay close enough to the target to ALLOW your brain to take over. It will in short order.

I'm willing to bet that 99/100 times when a new guys talks about "aiming", aiming is actually the last thing he needs to worry about.

...then drawing back hitting my anchor and releasing
That ain't gonna work, you're going to need a little more than a touch and go anchor. You're effectively shooting in will in motion. Works great in the movies, not so great in real life. Just something to think about.

BTW - bet you're over-bowed for any kind of real shooting.

Viper1 out.

· Registered
38,292 Posts
I really don't aim. I stare at the target and my brain puts the bow up, draws, and releases. The arrow seems to go where I want it.
That is aiming, it just isn't conscious aiming off of a fixed marker on the bow or arrow.

· Registered
11,287 Posts
Proper Aiming - is ANY aiming techinique that gets the job done or follows a set of particular rules in competition.

Aiming techiniques that will generally have a shorter learning curve and are easier to attain and maintain consistant accuracy with are the conscious aiming techiniques such as Gap and Point of Aim.

Ray ;)

· Registered
3,188 Posts
So to me, it sounds like you should just experiment, figure out what works with you, and go with it. If you find a certain position that is fairly consistent, work with it and get to where you can hit what you want. That is just how I interpret all of this. :D

· Registered
11,287 Posts
So to me, it sounds like you should just experiment, figure out what works with you, and go with it. If you find a certain position that is fairly consistent, work with it and get to where you can hit what you want. That is just how I interpret all of this. :D
Exactly...but it also doesn't hurt to do some research into how specific aiming techiniques apply to specific situations.

An archer should always choose an aiming techinique based on their goals, abilities and personality and not just follow a certain group of individuals just to fit in or because it's looked down upon if they don't.

Ray ;)

· Registered
11,287 Posts
i feel as im excuting the shot with the same technique but with different results each time my fingers release, ive tried aiming with the arrow while shootin during the draw back, and aiming with the arrow before then drawing back hitting my anchor and releasing. but im lost!!!
What are your goals?

Can you post any pics or videos of you shooting to check your form?

IMO....aiming is just as important as form. If your form is off but your aiming wasn't...you will most likely miss your target.

If your form was perfect but your aiming was off...you're gonna miss your target.

Ray ;)

· Registered
587 Posts
I guess I "aim" like Im Not Ted. I dont look down the arrow at all, I more look at where I want to hit on the target and draw while basically looking through the bow as if it wasnt even there and release. Never take eye of where I want to impact, I just count on my body naturally putting the bow where it needs to be pointing and Im quite accurate. I also do as Rebelroot too though and when I hit my anchor I release, I dont hold it but for a second if that.

· Registered
2,204 Posts
k.i.s.s. seems to work

I guess I "aim" like Im Not Ted. I dont look down the arrow at all, I more look at where I want to hit on the target and draw while basically looking through the bow as if it wasnt even there and release. Never take eye of where I want to impact, I just count on my body naturally putting the bow where it needs to be pointing and Im quite accurate. I also do as Rebelroot too though and when I hit my anchor I release, I dont hold it but for a second if that.
me too
only one impromptu "penetration test" in the garage door so far (a steel force 2 blade will penetrate a garage door btw)

· Registered
527 Posts
I think of an anchor as a pivot point as apposed to an anchor. (same concept, I know) The pivot (anchor) is the foundation to consistency, once it is set, and with the proper form, simply move your bow arm to the desired position (aim) and let'r rip. Simple I know but that's how I am. I read the following link after I started shooting gap and it worked for me, Good luck. http://www.stickbow.com/FEATURES/SHOOTING/gap.CFM

· Registered
1,255 Posts
So to me, it sounds like you should just experiment, figure out what works with you, and go with it. If you find a certain position that is fairly consistent, work with it and get to where you can hit what you want. That is just how I interpret all of this.
Looking/focusing on the target and 'letting er rip' is the WORST advice ever given about archery...it's called 'flingin' arras' and for many/most will only deliver mediocre results at best and that's ONLY after shooting dozens of arrows over dozens of years. Guys with the abilities of someone like Rick Welch are extremely rare...but it looks cool and is the easiest way out to convince one's self that they are archers or know how to shoot a bow. (But you will never convince anyone that has taken the time and energy to 'learn' to shoot properly and 'knows' what a good shot is!)

Consistency takes consistent practice, and that practice must be with a dedicated aiming system of some sort...until the 'system' becomes fully ingrained, so that one can shoot as though it 'looks' instinctive. Howard Hill is a perfect example of 'aiming' and 'knowing what draw length to use for the best results...no opinions, just shear dedication and perseverance to understanding HIS method of best accuracy.

At the tournaments it is quite evident by scores that the dedicated 'Arra Flingers' are now part of the dying breed. As for hunters, there is no excuse for inaccuracy when killing is involved...and I don't care how much one wants to stick by the 'arra flingin' method or try to prove otherwise.

I will say this quite confidently; YOU will never win any tournaments or out shoot a fully trained hunter with a simple bow and arra flingin'..not now and certainly not in the future.

You learn to shoot and shoot to learn...plain and simple.

BTW: Native peoples ALWAYS used aiming techniques or devices! Missing wasn't an option or people starved. The only time they didn't aim is when they were flingin' arras from a distance to ward an enemy off.

Also, Native People were smart enough to ALWAYS use the highest technology they had at their disposal.

So, it IS traditional to learn as much as possible, to be the best that you can be.

My 2 cents.

· Registered
152 Posts
When I started, I wanted to be able to separate "aiming issues" from "form issues". If you can't do that, you'll have no idea which is which. Thus, I taped a toothpick to the back of the bow, giving me a sight. Couple movements of the masking tape and I was spot on, now I could concentrate on form. I still got flyers, and groups which could hardly be called such, but I knew it was due to form. The next thing I did was remove the toothpick but put a small crayon mark on the face of the bow (couple inches above the shelf) for strictly an elevation mark set for 20 yards. I no longer needed a windage reference since I could see the arrow in my peripheral vision and just mentally lined it up. Since I cant the bow, that crayon mark was only used upon initial draw to anchor then I'd just look at my spot. I think that, had I not done that, I'd still be floundering between form and aiming. Not that I'm still not floundering LOL!

· Premium Member
5,344 Posts
There are "correct ways" to aim--they are the ones that work. The ones that don't work are "incorrect".

There's a DVD due out very soon that should be the next best thing to a personal coach.

It's called "Masters of the Barebow, Volume III". The two main players in it are Rod Jenkins and Larry Yein. Rod and Larry are both avid hunters and World Champion tournament archers. Their accomplishments speak for themselves--they don't have to get on web sites and proclaim how good they are because nobody would have ever heard of them otherwise.

Larry is a World Champion field archer. Rod is a two-time IBO world champion (3-D). No matter if you call shooting 80 meters for bragging rights and dust collectors (trophies) "real" archery, or being able to go hunting and fill your freezer with a trophy you can eat "real" archery, this DVD should have you covered.

MBB Volumes I and II are already on the market. They are interesting and entertaining, but aren't what I'd reccomend for someone wanting to learn how to shoot--the instruction isn't nearly in-depth enough. Fun to watch though, with lots of today's traditional celebrities involved.

Chad

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.