Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How tight or loose do you think a nock should fit for maximum accuracy and forgiveness?
I believe it should snap onto the serving and then be able to slide up and down with little pressure. I say this because of the twisting that occurs inside the nock during the shot. It would be less pronounced with a loose fitting nock, thus creating tighter shot groups.

What are your thoughts? :wink:

·
(aka lug nut)
49,669 Posts
How tight or loose do you think a nock should fit for maximum accuracy and forgiveness?
I believe it should snap onto the serving and then be able to slide up and down with little pressure. I say this because of the twisting that occurs inside the nock during the shot. It would be less pronounced with a loose fitting nock, thus creating tighter shot groups.

What are your thoughts? :wink:

Hold the bow, so the string is horizontal.

Snap on the arrow nock to the center serving.
Nock fit must allow the nock to hold the weight of the arrow.

If arrow does not fall off,
then that passes the first test.

Now, for the 2nd test.
One sharp tap of the index finger on the center serving
should have the arrow fly off.

If the arrow does not fly off,
then the center serving is over-size
and must be redone with thinner serving material
or
you need a larger nock groove.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
There is an article on this exact thing in the latest Peterson's Bowhunting magazine.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hold the bow, so the string is horizontal.

Snap on the arrow nock to the center serving.
Nock fit must allow the nock to hold the weight of the arrow.

If arrow does not fall off,
then that passes the first test.

Now, for the 2nd test.
One sharp tap of the index finger on the center serving
should have the arrow fly off.

If the arrow does not fly off,
then the center serving is over-size
and must be redone with thinner serving material
or
you need a larger nock groove.
Thanks for this tip. I had not heard that one before. So here's my question. On the second test do you tap the serving just above or below the nock or tap the nock itself?

Thanks,
Greg.

·
Registered
685 Posts
you can also use an 1/8 in drill bit and make the knock groove wider.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
How about using hot water?

·
Registered
685 Posts

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
i've used a hand held drill and a drill press.

the drill will work, but the drill press is much better because the bit is straight vertical, less movement during the process.

for me, i prefer the results from using a drill press.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Dado,
I’ll chime in here. I have used hot water. My procedure was to heat coffee cup full of water to boiling in microwave, force appropriate size drill bit into nock twisted on aluminum shaft, plunge nock with drill bit into hot water and hold for 30 seconds, remove and cool in cup of ice water for 30 seconds. You need a full set of smaller drill bits. I used trial and error to find the one that worked right for my serving. When I didn’t cool the nock with the drill still in place I got inconsistent results.

Roger Barker

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
you can also use an 1/8 in drill bit and make the knock groove wider.
:eek:
Big risk to take IMO. why take the chance of you might do a little too much and have the nock fail on a shot and hurt the bow or someone or ones self. Just safer and better to reserve the string or get different nocks. The hot water works but you have to have a good system like mentionaed above to get consistent results.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts