Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have YET to hunt Turkey with bow to date,but I will be in a couple weeks here(the spring Tom season opens in VA April 12th) & I can't wait(finally)!

I killed 2 Toms a few years back via Shotgun.Just yesterday,I bought a box call,slate call(is that proper wording for it) & I also bought a Wingbone call off a fellow AT'er :wink:

My questions are this:

When do you opt to use each specific call?

And what is the best procedure/technique for each call to get the best possible success ?

And also feel free to offer up any other helpful info that you may have!

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I have YET to hunt Turkey with bow to date,but I will be in a couple weeks here(the spring Tom season opens in VA April 12th) & I can't wait(finally)!

I killed 2 Toms a few years back via Shotgun.Just yesterday,I bought a box call,slate call(is that proper wording for it) & I also bought a Wingbone call off a fellow AT'er :wink:

My questions are this:

When do you opt to use each specific call?

And what is the best procedure/technique for each call to get the best possible success ?

And also feel free to offer up any other helpful info that you may have!

thanks in advance!
Sometimes you'll get a better response with one call over any others. It all depends on the specific turkey your calling to. Feel them out with a call and if little or no response, try another call. Sometimes switching a call spells the difference in success or failure.

Call sparingly. One mistake many make is over calling when they hear the turkey gobble back. Play it shy at first. Sometimes silence will get to the Tom when he knows his "hen" is right were he last heard her, but it will pique his curiosity after awhile.

Give a few calls. If you get a gobble, then wait about a minute. Call again softly. If he gobbles closer this time, then keep it quiet cause he's on the way. If he hangs up just out of range give a few soft purrs to entice him in further. If he stands in the spot where you first heard him gobble and he gobbles non-stop at every call you throw at him, then he's either got hens with him or there may be some kind of obstacle between you and him. Creeks, blowdowns, other hens etc. will most of the time keep him from approaching any further. If it's an obstacle, then move to a new location where the obstacle won't pose a problem. If it's hens that's another story. Sometimes calling aggresively to the dominant hen will get her to come investigate and he'll be sure to follow. If she doesn't come then wait him out. He'll remember where your location is and come looking for you when he's done with her. It may be a few hours, but be patient. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. :)

Good luck to you! http://parsonso.ipower.com/parsonsoutdoorproductions/turkey_talk.html

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks alot for the great info my friend!!

Very much appreciated:wink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts