Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried to glue some blazers to my acc's and they never seem to stick to the carbon. I've washed the arrow with soap and water, still didn't stick. I've cleaned them with acetone, still didn't stick. Is there some sort of secret to getting them to stick. They are sticking to some degree but not enough that you can't pull them off with a little effort. When they do come off the glue is on the blazer and not on the carbon arrow. I've also been using their recommended glue (FletchTite Platinum). Anyone on here found the secret?? If so, please reveal your recipe, tks....

·
Registered
177 Posts
loctite gel glue

Try using loctite super gel glue it works great also if you use arrow wraps they work great also.Another thing after you install the vane put a dab of glue on each end of the vane.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
All I do for my Blazers is to scrape the old vane/glue off the shaft and rub down the shaft with a cotton ball soaked in 92% Isopropal alcohol. I then apply a THIN bead (less is more with blazers) of Steel Force CA glue. Put it in a jig and about 10-15 sec later move on the the next vane. Then I also put a dab on the ends of the Blazers.
I had tried to use fletchtite platinum on plastic and feathers before and it seemed like it never set up too well. The small amount at the ends of each vane or feather stayed soft and not "cured" feeling.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
.....just scuff the shaft with sandpaper,scotch bite, ect, then re-clean with acetone.
Put a drop of glue at each end of the fletch and allow to dry completely. You will have to cut them off after that.:wink: Platinum glue will work well with a surface to adhere to.
jerry

·
Registered
278 Posts
we build around 600 doz a year. love the Blazer. We dont clean the carbon. when you clean them it will close up the poures and the glue will only stay on the out side and not bite into the shaft. just wipe with a clean dry rag then use Tim's Goat Tuff. this will work.

·
Registered
10,545 Posts
i can't believe so many people are having this problem.
i scrape off the old with a knife, wipe off the extra glue with some cleaner and fletch away! i use fletch tite platinum.
i never have blazers not stick. NEVER!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
blazers

I did the same thing as cntrlIahunter and just like I said, I can pull the vane off with a little effort, and there is no glue on the carbon, it's all on the vane. It seems like the glue doesn't penetrate the carbon. I've just re-glued, using the same vanes and cleaning the carbon arrow with acetone, I've also added a bead of glue to the ends. We'll see later. I don't think leaving the glue on the vane will hurt. I would think that glue will stick to glue.

·
Registered
PRO SHOP OWNER BOWTECH MATHEWS
3,058 Posts
i clean the shafts with water only and spray with goat tuff accelator then use goat tuff glue havent had any problems with blazers doing it this way.also use the accelator with feathers speeds things up alot.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
I wipe the shafts with denatured alcohol and glue on with Fletch Tite Platinum. It always works for me.:)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Slap some wraps on the arrows and you'll have no problems with your blazers sticking. Plus, your arrows will look cool!:shade:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Wal-Mart and super glue for me!

I just scrape the shaft with a knife, careful not to dig in, angle the blade a little.

I like the Super Glue you get at Wal-Mart with the super fine applicator that you can squeeze on both sides. It has such a fine applicator, that it fits in the groove of the vane perfectly. The only way they have come off, is if someone shoots mine off in the twelve ring!

Center 12's!

DM

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Causes for vanes not sticking to shaft:

1: Not cleaning the shaft w/ Denatured Alcohol (DO NOT USE RUBBING ALCOHOL!!!) If you clean the shaft w/ Acetone.. you need to wipe off the Acetone residue using Denature Alcohol

2: Do NOT touch base of vane or area to be fletched

3: Do NOT clean the base of the Blazer vanes

4: Trying to use too much offset w/ Blazer vanes on skinny shafts

5: Using too much glue... all you need is a very small bead... if you use too much the outside of the glue will be dry.. creating a seal.. not allowing the glue underneath to dry

6: Not letting the glue dry long enough before advancing to the next vane.. or using the arrows immediately after fletching.

7: Use Goat Tuff glue...

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I used Lock tite super glue cause i was outta fletching glue and they are holding awsome...and i glued my fingers together...that stuff works awesome.

·
Registered
37 Posts
bowdoctor 1 said:
we build around 600 doz a year. love the Blazer. We dont clean the carbon. when you clean them it will close up the poures and the glue will only stay on the out side and not bite into the shaft. just wipe with a clean dry rag then use Tim's Goat Tuff. this will work.
well said. works every time for me. I ran out of goat tuff and tried some platinum, i could pull them off the next day. With goat tuff i can't pull them off with pliers.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Bohning Quantum XT is the strongest glue I know of with 3750 psi torsional strength its could hold wet toilet paper together.:wink: I also like the Gold Tip glue they have the best applicator bottle bar none it has a pin in the cap that keeps the dispenser hole from clogging up.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
jags said:
well said. works every time for me. I ran out of goat tuff and tried some platinum, i could pull them off the next day. With goat tuff i can't pull them off with pliers.

I cant get close to pull mine off with platnium...:confused:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts