Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
USAF Retired
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Neighbor of the place I hunt tried telling me people had been hunting on his property and he's tired of it. He's lived there for less than two years. I hunt the place next door, and have for over 20 years. (Property currently owned by my in-laws. Was my wife's grand parent's 's place before that. They bought it in 1930).

The survey tape for one corner is still there from when the neighbor bought the place, but the ones in the woods are gone. Some of the fence posts are there but he thinks they are on his property and the line is about 100 yards west.

What is a good, free, app that will show where a person is in relation to the property line? I downloaded Huntstand and it shows the property lines, but doesn't show where you are. It shows the shape of the property, but he isn't convinced.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
My two cents,, If I were him I would not give up an inch based what an app. shows. The only way to settle it for sure is to shell out the $ for a survey. That said onX maps isn’t free but would get you close enough to dispute a hundred yard difference.

·
Registered
11,804 Posts
If he's that concerned tell him to have it surveyed or pound sand.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

·
USAF Retired
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you think my in-laws should give up their property? There was orange surveyor tape put out when he (the neighbor) bought the place in 2016. It all mysteriously disappeared except one corner.

My two cents,, If I were him I would not give up an inch based what an app. shows. The only way to settle it for sure is to shell out the $ for a survey. That said onX maps isn’t free but would get you close enough to dispute a hundred yard difference.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
It's your word against his. Not telling you to give up anything. I'll say it again a survey will solve the issue. Did you try to find the monuments. The corners should have more than just a small stake.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Those apps are not accurate.. they are good for base lines. I can tell you, Huntstand gives me an extra 15acres on on of my farms, and I know its wrong because my surveyor and I went round and round about it. He basically said “do yoi trust the guys with 30yrs experience and a transit, or a software developer whos never been here before”... he has a point lmao...

·
faller downer
2,654 Posts
I just was in a similar situation but not as adversarial. My nbr was able to find the two corner markers and use his GPS to go from each other in a straight line..granted its 10' off +/- and we are good with that. It was that of pay for the survey..which obtw if you want markers ever soo many feet will cost extra.

Fence lines are usually pretty close hardly a 100 yrds off and around here we pretty much just use them as the boundry. . a plat map should show something well with in a 100 yrds but sounds like this guy wants to pay for a survey all over again

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I have Huntstand on my phone and it puts a blue dot on the map for my location. I've found it to be very accurate.

Tim

·
Registered
17,307 Posts
I had same problem, I offered to split a survey cost with neighbor and if not tough I'll keep hunting where the stakes are at for property lines, he finally agreed and come to find out I owned more land on his side of stakes by almost 30' and his path thru the woods was on My land, his attitude changed alot after that since I let him use his path still to get to the back of his land, but I did lose 30' on the other side of my property. Xon maps I found at my house, cabin and lease to be within 25' of actual lines.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,756 Posts
OnX hunt has a GREAT one....so good many of my Realtor friends have seen it and started using it. Very accurate too.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I had same problem, I offered to split a survey cost with neighbor and if not tough I'll keep hunting where the stakes are at for property lines, he finally agreed and come to find out I owned more land on his side of stakes by almost 30' and his path thru the woods was on My land, his attitude changed alot after that since I let him use his path still to get to the back of his land, but I did lose 30' on the other side of my property. Xon maps I found at my house, cabin and lease to be within 25' of actual lines.
Be careful with this. Rollback the clock 30+ years ago and my grandparents had bought a resort in Minnesota from a family that had owned the property for over 50 years. The neighbor had been allowed to drive his tractors through a corner portion of the property my grandparents had purchased so he could farm a plot that he owned but that was not connected to his main lot. After the sale my grandfather asked the farmer if he could go around the resort rather than cutting through it when guests were there. The farmer told him to F off. Long story short, ended up going to court and farmer was allowed to continue to drive through the property even though he didn't own it. My grandparents are no longer alive so I can't ask what the exact law is (and keep in mind this was in MN), but its basically like squatter's rights. You allow someone to use it long enough and even though you own it, it can become a hassle down the road.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
It's your word against his. Not telling you to give up anything. I'll say it again a survey will solve the issue. Did you try to find the monuments. The corners should have more than just a small stake.
Correct.I buried rebar beneath my corners.That way if anyone messed with the stakes,I could find the corners with a metal detector.Those apps are close but they aren't dead on.Our county has a GIS website that's pretty close but not close enough to argue over.If it's really an issue,pay to have it surveyed.

·
Registered
9,771 Posts
All corner of the property should have a metal survey stake most are under the surface, some you can see. If it ever went to court all the apps in the world will not help. Official survey is the only thing that will work.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Wait until your neighbor wants to log his land, and find out the loggers take their bearings with a compass from the corner marker! That's what happened to me several years ago. Loggers took several of my prime walnuts, and my only solution was to sue my neighbor. I elected not to sue to keep piece with the neighbor, but I won't even let a highline worker on my place without asking now!

·
Registered
111 Posts
As a surveyor.... Get it surveyed, you only have to have that area surveyed and not the entire property. Also, by adverse possession, after 21 years of 'maintaining' the land it is rightfully yours. That's another battle to fight but IMHO I would get the property surveyed so there are no questions asked. These online apps and maps are not resourceful or accurate even though people preach them or the app preaches their accuracy, iron pins in the ground are better than a dotted black line on a map.

·
USAF Retired
3,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've never seen any monuments. All the official deed refers to is "marked by a set iron pin".

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
24,402 Posts
Others have said it, the only thing that will settle it for sure is a survey - of the apps available onX is the only one I'd recommend, but even that isn't official. Contrary to popular belief surveys don't have to be that expensive...check with your local university and township/municipality....many in PA have agreements and teams from the university complete the survey as par of their course-study. Results are accurate and depending on agreements can recognized by zoning governances. Just something to think about.

Also, some counties have very accurate online GIS systems from which you can print maps....(might have to have membership).

In two specific counties in PA have had good success with these GIS maps, combined with the onX app and a reasonable, level-headed approach. When that didn't work, Brandywine Valley Engineering team did a great job at a reasonable price...funny thing though...the GIS maps were 100% aligned to the BVE report, but the BVE team went in and re-staked the corners and flagged the lot, which is what made the difference.

Joe

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
The huntstand app wasn't close on all my properties. I mean most of the lines were only 10 yards off, so it was close but not correct. Do not rely on the app for exact property lines.

·
Cayuta Creek Outdoors
2,551 Posts
Your best bet is to see if the county that this parcel is located in has a GIS website that is mobile friendly for your phone. Here in NY where I live most of the counties that I work in as a Professional Land Surveyor have this capability and they work fairly well. The issue is, that they are only meant for reference and shouldn't be used as an accurate instrument survey like others have previously stated.

Another option is to see if you could get your hands on the neighbors boundary survey that they had done when they purchased. Chances are the survey was filed with the county and attached to their deed and is public knowledge. This will help you possibly locate the boundary corners, and locate the boundary line that is in question.

I wouldn't worry about locating the survey tape at the boundary corners. Look for a rebar or iron pin at the corners with a metal detector. Keep in mind, just because the deed for the property calls for a "iron pin set" at the corners, doesn't necessarily mean that there was one ever there or not. Common practice for sketchy older surveyors to say that they set pins and then never go back to do so. Good luck and keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts