Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
539 Posts
Don't like the hunter orange requirement for blinds and allowing crossbows in early archery.

· Registered
2,173 Posts
I like the early antlerless hunt in Oct. It would be warmer and allow more youngsters to hunt with out freezing. I am not sure how I feel about the shortening of the firearm and ml seasons. A lot of guys I know only hunt firearm.

Possible pro's: Move the season back and shorten allowing for more bucks to possibly make it through to the next year and get bigger.

Possible con's: Less time in the stand may push more people to take the first deer they see and not passing on the 2 1/2 yr old buck and not allowing them to mature
All of this depends on what each individual is looking for out of a hunt or their management plan.

· Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't like the hunter orange requirement for blinds and allowing crossbows in early archery.
Ditto. These are still yet to be voted on.

Hopefully our politicians and state reps listen to their people...

I do like the extension of urban zone archery to january 31st.

· Registered
53 Posts
Overall, I LOVE the new proposed changes. Moving gun season back and less gun hunting will definitely make Indiana better. I would like to see the age class structure of our bucks get "older" - similar to Iowa, Illinois and Ohio. We currently kill too many young bucks and I think it's because the gun season coincides with the rut...

· Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Overall, I LOVE the new proposed changes. Moving gun season back and less gun hunting will definitely make Indiana better. I would like to see the age class structure of our bucks get "older" - similar to Iowa, Illinois and Ohio. We currently kill too many young bucks and I think it's because the gun season coincides with the rut...
I hadn't even noticed the date changes... that's a good point.

· Registered
185 Posts
I like the proposed changes. It gives the deer a chance to do what they are supposed to do during the rut, mate. I also think that moving the firearms season to a date later in November will help with the amount of pressure put on the deer during the rut, (no orange army in the field and woods). I also don't think i would mind that the doe before buck rule for urban hunting be proposed for adults or all seasons.

I would like to see Indiana to be recognized with Iowa, Kansas and Illinois, but we can't get there if our mature bucks of tomorrow are killed today when they are 2, 3 or 4 years old.

· Registered
2,173 Posts
Any updates on this. I heard it went through the first round of voting. Any one know anything else?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.