Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering getting back into archery and trying bow hunting I have never bow hunted I do gun hunt but just looking for input before I drop $500-$1000 on a bow thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Pro's : more fun.
Con's : There isn't any

·
Registered
726 Posts
Pros: Longer season. More of a challenge. Its awesome.

Cons: Gotta bring em' in closer. This makes you want to hang yourself from your treestand some days. But its also the reason you will never quit bowhunting.

·
Registered
250 Posts
pros: bowhunting
cons: Early mornings are rough sometimes

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Pros: Longer season. More of a challenge. Its awesome.

Cons: Gotta bring em' in closer. This makes you want to hang yourself from your treestand some days. But its also the reason you will never quit bowhunting.
That's it right there. You'll see a lot more big ones than you'll ever kill. It gets your heart pumping more than gun hunting.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Unless you really know about bows I'd get a cheaper or used one and after a year or two if you want to upgrade you'll better know what you want.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Pros to bow hunting. I love it
Con's to bow hunting. I can't think of one.

Good luck to you. It can be very addicting and rewarding.

·
THwack--CRASH
11,173 Posts
pro's.....gets you away from the wife.

con's...... you'll starve to death ,if you have to kill something!

·
pro deer watcher
2,336 Posts
The challenge is the pro and con. I bow hunted the last day of our gun season. What happened it cost me the biggest buck I would have killed to this point 30 yds 1/4 towards me with a gun I would a celebrated with my bow in my hand I walked away with my tail between my legs

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unless you really know about bows I'd get a cheaper or used one and after a year or two if you want to upgrade you'll better know what you want.
I did find a nice used name brand bow for 300 but still will be at 500 outfitted or I can get a new name brand set up for 650 but thing is will I want to change the rest etc

·
Registered
253 Posts
Get on the classifieds here and get your first bow. Plenty of people here have compulsive purchase disorder and have to buy new bows every year. They sell their previous model cheap. If you look carefully you might get a fully ready one quite reasonable.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
You have an archery background already so if you truly want to enjoy it, buy you a bow and log off this site.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Pros...
Longer warmer season..
Sitting in a stand or climber lets you see some interesting stuff in the woods.
Practice ammo is reuseable
95% of your season you dont worry about errant bullets
Much more rewarding experience taking a deer with a bow.
Drawing in deer with tactics and calls ads a interactive experience during seasonal phases.

Cons..
A lot more equipment to purchase from the start.
More critical to get great shot placement.
Equipment must be tuned well.
Be prepared to track a deer into some down right nasty places..briars swamp lands, etc.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
I have been involved in archery off and on for over 30 years but last year was my first year hunting ever. For obvious reasons I chose a bow as my weapon of choice.

I am now most of the way through my second season and I cannot imagine chasing big game or even small game any other way. I hunt with a used bow I found for $250 on here. Other than my BH's and arrows all my gear has been used and it works perfectly.

Thus far I have killed 4 deer. I have one buck on the wall from last year and three does in the freezer this year. I have had encounters with some very big bucks this year but they have not given me a shot yet.

In my mind there are no cons at all. The pros are so many I could not list them all. Some of the more basic ones are:

Hunt in locations guns are not allowed
longer season
greater challenge
cheaper to practice....LOL
Less meat loss...LOL
Huge Rush hunting at such close ranges

On that last one, I shot a doe last night at about 10 yds and last year I killed my buck at 4yds. At those distances you can hear them breathing.

Right now on E-Bay you can get a great shooting Martin for well under $300. With the new owners and the new line up the 2013 and 2014 bows are going cheap.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts