Archery Talk Forum banner

Pros And The Ovation

1236 20
JUST WONDERING WHY MORE THE PROS DIDN'T SHOOT THE OVATION THIS
YEAR FOR COMPETITION, IT SEEMS THIS BOW WOULD BE A REAL TACK DRIVER. :) :cool:
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
3,878 Posts
Didn't Jeff Hopkins shoot one last year? I also thought that Tim Gillingham shot one too. But thats about it as far as i noticed. I was wondering the same thing myself. I like my Ovation, but find myself missing the efficiency and feel of the Conquest I sold.

· Registered
1,990 Posts
I am not sure which pros you are refering to but at the ASA Classic I would say 75% or more of the Mathews pros were shooting the Ovation. Remember most of these guys did not get their Ovations until just before Gainesville. So it takes a little time to dive whole heartedly into a new bow especially when shooting is part of your livelihood.

Speed is not an issue for the Ovation. I shoot 28" draw and can get 280 out of the bow at 68lbs.

· NC ASA Director
36,226 Posts
The Ovation is a tack driving forgiving bow. I can get the speed with my thirty inch draw.

I sold my LX that I love and Conquest, and have nothing but Ovations. I shot up for the first time in my life the first tournament I took it to.

· Registered
1,990 Posts
Jhawk,

My math may be incorrect, but here is a stab in the dark. You never know truely until you shoot through the chrono.

That arrow will weigh about 400 grs which is 50 grs heavier than the IBO listed weight of 5 grs per lb or 350 for 70 pounds.

Your draw length is 1 inch longer than the standard IBO measurement.

IBO on Ovation is 300 fps. Lets deduct about 10fps for peep, dloop etc. IBO is now 290. Your draw length is an inch long so lets say that adds 10 fps so now we are back to 300. Your arrow is 50 grs heavier. As a ball park rule 3 grs equal 1 fps. 50 grs divided by 3 equals 17 fps loss. So if my math is even in the same continent you would be at or near 280-283 fps.

Maybe.

· Registered
325 Posts
I got an ovation last year to shoot 3d and made it my hunting bow I bought a conquest3 this fall to shoot indoor and after 3 weeks I am going to try the ovation next week I can't seem to get off of 299 . The two bows feel nothing alike the c3 is a little faster but the ovation is more forgiving it they just had a fix for the strig suppreors tha I wear out in 400 to 500 shots.

· Registered
9 Posts
I just wanted to add my 2 cents :D For those of you wondering speed of the ovation I have mine bow max at 70lbs shooting CXL's that weigh 375 grains and are 30" long, my draw lenght is 31" with a d loop and a peep I can get 298 ft per sec :D thats fast enough for me

· Registered
1,355 Posts
All our shooters but 1 :mad: Are shooting the ovation. at 57 -60 lbs we get 295 to 305 fps with cheetas :eek: I do not see where you all are saying there is a apeed problem with this bow. Now my Icon was slow!!! The same set up was 270 - 275. And all of us shoot 27.5 to 28". One shoots 30" he gets 305. So what do all consider fast? Seems there are alot of bows out there rated at or below 300 that claim to be fast. :confused:

· Registered
1,547 Posts
Jimini,

Can you give some more details on the Cheetas? Such as exact length, shaft, and tip weight? I am shooting my Ovation at 28 inches at 60 lbs. I would love to get that kind of speed out of mine for 3D's

Thanks!

· Master Class
8,595 Posts
I have an Ovation with a 29" draw. I have my weight set at around 59#. I shot CXL150's and had the weight of them down to 290 grains to to get 278 fps. At worlds the guys were kind of laughing at the arch of my arrow at 45 yards. They thought I was shooting over the targets but I was getting them in there. I would be very happy with the bow if I could get around 295 fps out of it. A gentleman at worlds said he put a Conquest 3 string on his Ovation and a 1/2" longer cable and he got his speed up 15fps more. Anybody else hear of this being done. I really feel my CXL 150 arrows are not a good choice with my 29" draw. I would rather go to the CXL250's but then my bow would probally be hard pressed to get 270fps. Anybody have any good input on this would be appreciated.

· NC ASA Director
36,226 Posts
johnnyhawk said:
What would be a good price for a used ovation with the camo pattern ? :)
$200.00 would be great! :D

But I would think you could get one for $450.00 to $475.00 if it was in great shape.

I paid $450.00 for my Kiwi Ovation with custom strings and a Shrewd grip. :cool: It also had a set of Ultra Limbsavers on it. :eek:

The bow looks like it has never been fired before I got it. Sweet!

· Registered
3,878 Posts
Draw 29. I would get away from the fatter shaft and try some kind of super light skinny all carbon shaft. That would get the lightness you need, more stiffness and more durability. GoldTip makes a real good skinny carbon thats super straight. Can't think of the name right now though...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.